PDA

View Full Version : New home in TX!

high_lander
08-02-2010, 9:02 AM
Well I finally left So Cal. I arrived Saturday and after unloading some stuff and unwinding, I went to the Frisco gun show and had a blast. All kinds of cool stuff to be had in free America. It also was't just guys and a couple wives that were drug along, it was a whole daily affair.

And yes I bought three 30 rd. P-mags and converted my AR to a standard config. God bless Texas.

high_lander
08-02-2010, 9:03 AM
I meant to say whole family affair.

j1133s
08-02-2010, 9:24 AM
Where in TX? Is Frisco a town in TX?
I hear there's this Houston gun show that is not to be missed!

Exile Machine
08-02-2010, 9:25 AM
Welcome!
Frisco is a town in the DFW area.

KillZone45
08-02-2010, 9:27 AM
Nice man! Congrats! 30rd mags......that is too cool.

offrdmania
08-02-2010, 9:31 AM
I know a couple girls in Frisco Tx.

Exile Machine
08-02-2010, 9:44 AM
BTW OP, you need to update your location on your profile.

I think we have enough critical mass of escapees here in the DFW area to form a DFW Calguns Community Chapter.

-Mark

Rem1492
08-02-2010, 9:46 AM
Welcome to TX.
My first Market Hall gunshow in Dallas I asked "sooo uhh how long of a wait do I have if I buy that gun"

the guy was like
"oh, 5 minutes, want it?"
-"so how many can I buy in one day?"
-"as many as you want, want more?"

-"Yeah, take checks? :) "

high_lander
08-02-2010, 9:52 AM
Exile, just changed! Oh yeah my UT permit is good here in TX until I get my TX CHL.

Schweeet.

Vin496
08-02-2010, 9:56 AM
And once you get you CHL, you don't even have to wait the 5 minutes for a NICS.

Now set up a trust and get all the NFA you want.

Uriah02
08-02-2010, 9:56 AM
Congrats!

Exile Machine
08-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Oh and the weather is supposed to be pushing 110 degrees here tomorrow. That's not in binary numbers or anything like that. My boy and I are going to fry an egg on the sidewalk outside our place at noon tomorrow.

HG77
08-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Oh and the weather is supposed to be pushing 110 degrees here tomorrow. That's not in binary numbers or anything like that. My boy and I are going to fry an egg on the sidewalk outside our place at noon tomorrow.

There's always a price to pay for freedom! :cool: I'm from Fort Worth myself but made to the move West almost 4 years ago. I never knew what I had, until I didn't have it anymore!

Call_me_Tom
08-02-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm right next door to you in Plano on vacation visiting my parents. The weather is too hot & humid for my taste but I love the liberial gun laws. Like the saying goes, there's a trade off for everything.

stitchnicklas
08-02-2010, 12:00 PM
i hate cali........

high_lander
08-02-2010, 1:05 PM
Exile, I know this heat is like Africa hot. Oh and I think I found a dead Brown Recluse in the garage. I am going to take a pic and see if it is.

The house we got is really amazing. New construction, 3k sq ft. We are on a cul-de-sac. We are in Paloma Creek off 380. Now we just have to wait for the movers to show up with our stuff.

Exile Machine
08-02-2010, 1:12 PM
Even the spiders can't handle the heat.

We really need to do a Texas Calguns Range Day. How about sometime in October? Would do it this month but I don't want any ammo spontaneously cooking off.

slick_711
08-02-2010, 1:19 PM
Welcome High_lander! I'm still pretty new here myself, but have found it a very comfortable place to be other than the heat. Even the heat isn't so bad, I'm inside most of the day, and as long as you dress lightly when you go out it's survivable. I'm told it's just June - Aug that's really bad.

Mark, count me in for that shoot whenever works out. I found out about an "IDPA style" pistol match, and they sometimes do pistol & rifle matches with transitions. It's held Thursday nights @ Elm Forks Shooting Range. I haven't been able to get out there yet, hoping to make it this Thursday if I'm not working.

Exile Machine
08-02-2010, 1:24 PM
Elm Fork is a great range. I particularly enjoy the tactical/law enforcement bay. This is where people go to shoot their rifles standing up. I always get a lot of interest in the CA-compliant stuff I bring out. If we flew a Calguns banner the locals would think there'd been an invasion from the west.

We should definitely hold our Calguns shoot there. Time to fork off a different thread. Sorry for the thread jack. Happy to have another calgunner in Texas!

jazman
08-02-2010, 1:39 PM
i hate cali........

Life is too short to hate living where you are, you should move. As you can see on this thread, lots of folks like Texas, and there are plenty of other nice places. Just move, don't hate where you live.

Wil-c
08-02-2010, 1:41 PM
Moved back home to Tx in '08 and I don't miss a thing about the PRK. It's pretty warm here right now in DFW but it's only a few months out of the year. To take that "F'ing" bullet button off my AR was more than worth it, so was the first gun show I got to attend here.

A DFW calguns chapter, not a bad idea.

Exile Machine
08-02-2010, 1:43 PM
Moved back home to Tx in '08

Well, you need to change your profile location too! Still says California... :D

wsmc27
08-02-2010, 2:04 PM
Welcome to TX.
My first Market Hall gunshow in Dallas I asked "sooo uhh how long of a wait do I have if I buy that gun"

the guy was like
"oh, 5 minutes, want it?"
-"so how many can I buy in one day?"
-"as many as you want, want more?"

-"Yeah, take checks? :) "

:eek:

WOW!

I can't even imagine how cool that is. :rolleyes:

OP, congrats! :)

high_lander
08-02-2010, 2:05 PM
I would be down for a CalGuns TX shoot.

oh, and no worries on a threadjack. It's all good.

craneman
08-02-2010, 4:34 PM
I'm jealous about all your new freedoms. I have family in Whitesboro and Denton just up the road a piece. I like to visit there, I just don't know how I would like to live there. congrats on getting outta here.

Lucky Scott
08-02-2010, 4:42 PM
I got friends in DFW, one just bought a place in Lake Granberry. Get used to the heat, it will be there for a while.
Also, they got some snow last winter.
Couple good drag strips there also.

NSR500
08-02-2010, 6:19 PM
Welcome to Texas!

Cobrafreak
08-02-2010, 8:06 PM
:28:

NaughtyMonkey
08-02-2010, 11:29 PM
I want to move out of Cali? So in other states in like the Big 5's there no waiting period?

slick_711
08-03-2010, 12:36 AM
I want to move out of Cali? So in other states in like the Big 5's there no waiting period?

They call in the NICS check, if you're a proceed it takes maybe 5 minutes, no waiting period. If you have a CHL in Texas (CCW) they don't even make the phone call, you just fill out the 4473 and pay. But don't buy your guns at Big 5. :confused: lol

Vin496
08-03-2010, 6:22 AM
They call in the NICS check, if you're a proceed it takes maybe 5 minutes, no waiting period. If you have a CHL in Texas (CCW) they don't even make the phone call, you just fill out the 4473 and pay. But don't buy your guns at Big 5. :confused: lol

The last gun I bought went like this.

The FFL has a table with a stack of the 4473 forms on clipboards and a box of pens. I picked out the gun I wanted and filled out the form, handed the form with my CC to the guy behind the counter, about 30 seconds later he comes back(after I hear the CC machine crank out the paper)with my receipt to sign and hands me the gun in the box.

I like a fool stood there for about a minute and then ask, "Are you going to call?", he looks at me and says, "I did when I ran your CC, your good to go.".

So it actually takes longer to get you CC approved than it does to do the NICS check.

That's one of the reasons I haven't gotten my CHL yet, as I already have my Utah and the NICS is transparent in the gun buying process here.

Exile Machine
08-03-2010, 6:59 AM
First gun I bought when I escaped to TX was a stripped AR-15 lower (to help with development and testing of the Hammerhead). Would have been out in 5 minutes if I hadn't made an error on the 4473. I had to do it over. TX CHL = no NICS check. Walked out with the lower, no lock, no safe affidavit, no 10 day wait, no hassle. Eventually sold that lower to a guy off the internet and we did the cash transaction in a Wendy's over burgers and Cokes. No PPT, no FFL, no fee, no hassle. It's what the anti-gunners call the "gun show loophole," and what the rest of us call "free commerce." :43:

BTW it is 111 degrees today with the heat index. Pretty much anything over 105 and you better stay inside, shades drawn, AC cranked. Good time to get the guns out and clean them.

-Mark

NSR500
08-03-2010, 7:57 AM
NICS process hasn't slowed me down either. 10 minutes tops on the 4473 and I'm gtg.
I'll be getting my CHL too by the end of the month. I've just been too lazy about killing one day for the class.

BTW... Texas is just as hot as people make it out to be. Doesn't bother me too much because I'll still throw on the coveralls and cut the grass at 100 degrees. :43: