PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing/tying

exklusve
08-02-2010, 9:51 AM
Hey folks.
I'm going to start tying my own flys again for myself and a few friends.

Is there many fly fishermen (women) here on the boards?

I've thought about selling some too, just getting a feeling if anyone here would be intrested.

Probaby wont start tying again for a couple months, but wanted to see about feedback.

grymster
08-03-2010, 9:48 AM
I tie my own. Well, some of my own. Nice, relaxing hobby!

exklusve
08-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Any advice on a vice thats not too expensive? I might borrow my Dads vice, but I'd rather just buy my own.
I don't really need one that rotates or anything like that.

grymster
08-03-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't know what too expensive means to you, but I have a Dyna-King (can't remember the model #). My brother gave it to me as a gift and I think it was ~$130 or so. Nice vise.

I originally picked up a really cheap one in a kit, but it is a POS. I think the problem with most of cheap ones are crappy jaws that won't hold a hook.

Ivanhoe
08-03-2010, 9:12 PM
I have this vise:http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=netcon&id=0052545310695a&navCount=1&podId=0052545&parentId=cat20534&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20534&hasJS=true

It's a well made vise and I have a pedestal for it as well which is what I almost always use.

tying was great when I had the time. I need to get back into it.

exklusve
08-03-2010, 9:41 PM
I've only used vices that clamp onto your desk...Never one with a pedestal.
Never have any issues with tipping while putting down pressure to spin some deer hair?

I do like the idea of not having to screw up my desk with a clamp and the portability of a pedestal.
A few buddies are interested in learning, and a pedestal would be much easier.

Appreciate the feedback guys! :D

pieeater
08-04-2010, 8:29 PM
I believe thats how Cabelas got started. Dick Cabela was tying flys in his kitchen and selling them in the local newspaper. lol

Ivanhoe
08-04-2010, 8:58 PM
I haven't spun any deer hair as my flies are the smaller trout vairieties. The base is actually from a totally different vice as I bought it separately. The fly shop owner had it sitting on a shelf not being used and I got it for a good price. It is very stable for what I have used it for and I don't think you would have any trouble with a decent base. Unfortunately I don't know the brand. I do remember the shop owner telling me it was the heaviest base he'd ever used. I can try to get more info on it if you if you like.

Ivanhoe
08-04-2010, 9:06 PM
Dyna King makes some heavy bases. Not 100% sure u can mix and match though:http://www.dyna-king.com/accessories_dtl.asp?itemval=15&pv=1&pid=069

exklusve
08-05-2010, 7:54 AM
Thanks for all your info Ivanhoe! Much appreciated.

I believe thats how Cabelas got started. Dick Cabela was tying flys in his kitchen and selling them in the local newspaper. lol

Awesome! I've even thought about selling some to the few local shops here that still sell flies and other fly fishing equipment.

Once I start getting some made I'll post some pics.

Thanks again guys!

Ivanhoe
08-05-2010, 1:27 PM
You're welcome! glad to help. I was still curious about my own base as I didn't remember who made it. A little online search and found it:http://www.hmhvises.com/accessories.htm

It is the brass model. I was shocked to see how expensive it is. I think I paid about $40 for it around 10 years ago. (slightly used)

grymster
08-05-2010, 2:14 PM
You're welcome! glad to help. I was still curious about my own base as I didn't remember who made it. A little online search and found it:http://www.hmhvises.com/accessories.htm

It is the brass model. I was shocked to see how expensive it is. I think I paid about $40 for it around 10 years ago. (slightly used) The trick, exklusve is not to be tying flies, but selling those brass bases! :)