PDA

View Full Version : Picked up new gun. Have Question?

MrMarz408
08-02-2010, 9:07 AM
Ok so I picked up my second rifle this weekend. I was so excited to take it home that I forgot to get a copy of the DROS background check. Are they required to give that to me or is it not requireed? I would like a copy just for records so I think I might give them a call to get one mailed.

Another Question:
I know theres no registration to a LongGun so is there no name assosiated the rifles Serial NUmber? Is all they do is make sure you have a clean background and a Calif. legal firearm within the 10 days waiting period.

Thanks

Fjold
08-02-2010, 5:28 PM
A lot of FFLs don't give you a copy unless you ask for it.

Yes, the check is on you not on the firearm.

MrMarz408
08-02-2010, 5:42 PM
A lot of FFLs don't give you a copy unless you ask for it.

Yes, the check is on you not on the firearm.

So your saying that if a friend gave me a LongGun that was CA Compliant but for some Dumb Stup!d reason they were just way too LAZY to drive to a FFL Gun Shop to do the exchange the gun can still be mine bacause there is no record exchange on the LongGun unlike a HandGun?
(I would never be part of the above, just a question)

ir0nclash86
08-02-2010, 11:45 PM
To my understanding when you buy/transfer a long gun the DROS is only submitted to see if your a bad guy. The DROS does not contain the serial number to the long gun being purchased. So the state doesnt know what kind of longgun you bought they just know you purchased something.

MrMarz408
08-03-2010, 9:24 AM
To my understanding when you buy/transfer a long gun the DROS is only submitted to see if your a bad guy. The DROS does not contain the serial number to the long gun being purchased. So the state doesnt know what kind of longgun you bought they just know you purchased something.

Is there some kind of record kepted that JOHN DOE owns X-Amount of fire arms.
I heard a rumor from multiple shops that LongGuns were gonna start being reg. also.

Thanks for the imput guys. Just trying to see how all this works.

ir0nclash86
08-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Is there some kind of record kepted that JOHN DOE owns X-Amount of fire arms.
I heard a rumor from multiple shops that LongGuns were gonna start being reg. also.

Thanks for the imput guys. Just trying to see how all this works.

I believe they know how many handguns you own cause theyre registered but not long guns. They dont know how many long guns you own because you couldve purchased private party cash and carry long guns without FFL. Im guessing though they can count up how many times you paid for DROS for long guns and go from there. i think they can trace your DROS to the gun shop you bought a long gun from and check the receipt to see what rifle they wrote down you purchased.

Hopefully someone who knows more can chime and correct me.

CSACANNONEER
08-03-2010, 12:33 PM
So your saying that if a friend gave me a LongGun that was CA Compliant but for some Dumb Stup!d reason they were just way too LAZY to drive to a FFL Gun Shop to do the exchange the gun can still be mine bacause there is no record exchange on the LongGun unlike a HandGun?
(I would never be part of the above, just a question)

There is a record of every long gun transaction at the FFL who did the transaction. If a LEA needs to see the info, they can either get the FFL's permission or get a warant. Either way, "they" can obtain the info if need be.