View Full Version : So here's a configuration question...

James R.
04-25-2006, 5:56 PM
I dunno how this would end up looking, but has anyone ever made a butt stock for the AR pattern rifles which flows into the area on the receiver normally reserved for the pistol grip?

I guess I'm thinking along the lines of a silhouette target rifle contour, except obviously you wouldn't be able to make the thumb hole opening since that would violate SB23. You'd end up with something which was a sort of, "bench rest" configuration of the AR receiver and since the gun has neither a pistol grip or thumb hole stock you could have the detachable magazine.

I dunno, such a rifle would probably end up looking like @$$, but it seems worth asking the question of whether or not it has been done or considered.

James R.

04-25-2006, 6:00 PM

James R.
04-25-2006, 6:08 PM
that really is more hideous than anything I could have imagined ;-) *shudder*

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of bench rest type stock. That looks like an A2 back end, with as the link name so eloquently put it, "tumor" attached where the grip should be.

Maybe the angles wouldn't work out right, and there's the problem of how to affix the stock to the receiver if it's one piece. I guess no matter what you do it's going to have to be a two piece affair, but I'd think someone could do better than the tumor.

James R.

04-25-2006, 8:56 PM

HAHAHAH the good ol' tumor stock from back in 1999! I believe the guy named the company "CA Compliant Stocks". There were several grip alternatives in the works back in 1999 but after the Kasler decision was handed down and "the list" came out all these guys were shut down.

I wish they'd bring back the Tumor stock... it looks like crap, but it is actually a VERY well made replacement stock. Unlike the SRB and other replacements you can hold the rifle in one hand while changing mags with the "Tumor".

On a side note the Tumor Stock was also known as "The California Cancer Grip".

04-26-2006, 3:58 PM
I actually knew the guys who designed and made that grip. They're long gone now...one works in another state and one works in a different field (sort of). Don't know what they did with the molds...

It was ugly and they knew it but it worked... :)

Ten Rounder
04-26-2006, 8:35 PM
Would'nt this put us folks with bull barrels into compliant and with the use of detactable mags 10 round mags? Just like a Mini-14?

04-26-2006, 8:48 PM
Would'nt this put us folks with bull barrels into compliant and with the use of detactable mags 10 round mags? Just like a Mini-14?

Uh, it puts anyone into compliance as long as they don't have other "evil" features...You don't have to have a bull barrel in order to not have a flash hider.

Also, if you are using a bull barrel (varmint barrel), why do you want detachable magazines instead of a pistol grip. When target shooting, the pistol grip is going to be alot better than the tumor stock and you aren't blowing through ammunition when you are target shooting with a bull barrel (or maybe you are and heating up your barrel and wasting your time).

04-26-2006, 9:05 PM
<best arnold impression> "It is not a Tooooomahh..."

04-26-2006, 10:26 PM
We need to get those molds or at least let those guys know, "Hey wake the **** up it's time to make your fortune!!!"

04-27-2006, 2:23 PM
I want to buy a tumor grip that is either ambidextrous or left handed. Does anyone have one or know of one for sale?

04-27-2006, 3:42 PM
I know- I was thinking the same thing- I now actually want one:o Anyobody know where I can get JB weld in BULK:D

glen avon
04-27-2006, 3:58 PM
if FN put that on a gun we would all be tripping on our tongues admiring it.

waht a crappy double standard.