PDA

View Full Version : Everyone - CGF needs our help, NOW! See Post #73!!!!!

pennys dad
08-01-2010, 11:12 PM
To start, I will list personal Thank You's
Pyrodyne
MTBRYDER
Connor P Price
sevensix2x51
cyberhh
jaymz
ptoguy2002
librarian
trashman
kylagwolf
watchman
jason_2111
cali-shooter
botsdots
wjc
lyte-
ANDREWMENDEZ
Exposed
Dark Paladin
2009 gunner
k1dude
cbn620
oepirate
taperzx
8bitnintendo
Bill B
pmaglio
jose995
howrdholton
redmedicine1
sixniner
jeremiah
william c
daniel s
ke6guj
jack w muln
cmichini
Joe Blylck
Ben H

GOOD LORD and pass the Ammunition!! We have completed EVERY Part of this Effort for information gathering and Data Entry is ongoing!!

Thank You for responding and taking your personal time and stepping up to help the cause, ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!

Thank you to the C3 Leaders and Coordinators for your effort and enthusiasm.
Special Thx to Andrew for busting data entry coordination butt!

Oh and WHO!! is this Wildhawker person I dont know seems kind of suspect is he a brady lover!? :D hahahaha

Just an FYI, Wildhawker may ask for more information in the future, but it wont be as much a Fire Drill..

Thank you Everyone
All Data has been Collected.

Everyone CGF needs our help, NOW! And I Literally mean NOW!

Here is the deal; we need a quick turnaround on a few items. What I need is a Quick reply to my PM saying that you will help with the data collection and which data type you will collect by Monday. Then I need the data collected and sent to my email address by End of Day Tuesday (jacob.rascon@gmail.com). I know the timeline is insane but CGF is fighting for our 2a rights and they have been given an insane date to hit and that’s where we all come in.

Here is the data CGF needs collected by Tuesday Aug the 3rd.
• We need pages scanned from Local Phone books for Alameda County from 1990 to 1996 and 2005 to current – Local libraries have this information or maybe an online resources.
o Once collected send them to my email address jacob.rascon@gmail.com
o There are 3 major metro area’s Oakland, Tri-Cities and Fremont phone books
o We need all sources for citing references
• We need someone to call the cities listed below and ask for information on which department issue’s business licenses for gun shops, and how can we get copies of the issued business licenses? We need all sources for citing references , Once collected send them to my email address jacob.rascon@gmail.com
o Alameda
o Albany
o Berkeley
o Dublin
o Emeryville
o Fremont
o Hayward
o Livermore
o Newark
o Oakland
o Piedmont
o Pleasanton
o San Leandro
o Union City

o We need Population data by county for the whole state from 1990 to 2010
• So basically “How many people in each county in California” from 1990 to 2010
• We also need Unemployment data from 1990 to 2010 in California from CA.GOV
• We need all sources for citing references
• Once collected send them to my email address jacob.rascon@gmail.com
That’s it Everyone, we need this ASAP. You can send me an email or reply to my PM, BUT! Please do something. FYI this is (NOT) Socal Specific we need this help from ALL Calgunners!!
Thank You Everyone
Pennys Dad (aka: Jacob)
Regional C3 Director

2009_gunner
08-02-2010, 12:14 AM
I've attached the 1990, 2000 and estimated 2009 census data for county populations.

k1dude
08-02-2010, 12:51 AM
What type of pages do you need copied out of the phone books? Gun shops?

Edit: Nevermind. I just read wildhawkers post about the phone books here. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=324094)

Connor P Price
08-02-2010, 1:12 AM
I compiled County Populations from 1990-2010 into one simple spreadsheet and sent it to "pennys dad." Should be easier to sort through that way. Keep it coming guys!

AndrewMendez
08-02-2010, 2:41 AM
bump. Thank you guys and gas for your help. Any info you have is much appreciated. Thank you!

Andrew Mendez

safewaysecurity
08-02-2010, 3:38 AM
Bump

cbn620
08-02-2010, 3:50 AM
Just did unemployment for California 1990-2010 and sent it to jacob.rascon@gmail.com. Hope that's what you were looking for.

Do Fresno County libraries have the phone books you guys would need?

E Pluribus Unum
08-02-2010, 4:20 AM
There should be some public coordination on this..... you'll have 100 people all scanning the same phone book pages.... you want all those man hours spread out so that no one re-does work that's already been submitted.

You can PM me if you need anything from Kern County. I live in the county seat.

E Pluribus Unum
08-02-2010, 4:24 AM
I've attached the 1990, 2000 and estimated 2009 census data for county populations.

They need that data for 1990 THRU 2000.

jaymz
08-02-2010, 5:37 AM
I'll start calling for the business license info. I'm in for the first four. If it doesn't turn out to be terribly time consuming (actually have to produce at work), I'll be in for more.

ptoguy2002
08-02-2010, 7:34 AM
I can put a few hours in to this today.
Looks like somebody already has taken care of population data.
I can't make a bunch of call from work up to the bay area.
Anything else I can help with?...

pennys dad
08-02-2010, 9:42 AM
What type of pages do you need copied out of the phone books? Gun shops?

Edit: Nevermind. I just read wildhawkers post about the phone books here. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=324094)

We need the yellow pages for all gun shops in the Tri-City, Oakland and Fremont phone books during the listed time periods

pennys dad
08-02-2010, 9:57 AM
There should be some public coordination on this..... you'll have 100 people all scanning the same phone book pages.... you want all those man hours spread out so that no one re-does work that's already been submitted.

You can PM me if you need anything from Kern County. I live in the county seat.

Agreed. So far this is what I have been sent:

All unemployment data for all time perious has been collected
All population data for all time perious has been collected
Business license calls are being made.
We may have someone looking at the Fremont piece.

Now we need Oakland and Tri-City

oepirate
08-02-2010, 10:31 AM
I am trying to get off work tomorrow. If I can I will hit Fremont libraries for copies of phone books then get to city hall to inquire about license info.

pennys dad
08-02-2010, 11:03 AM
I am trying to get off work tomorrow. If I can I will hit Fremont libraries for copies of phone books then get to city hall to inquire about license info.

Very cool. We have someone making calls for the Business licenses so we are good there. The Fremont pages will be a SUPER BIG Win for the effort. Thank you

WatchMan
08-02-2010, 11:21 AM
The business license part still seems a bit nebulous. Who has done what? I may just start at the bottom of the list since someone has indicated they are starting at the top. Have no idea how far I will be able to get. Will report here if I get anywhere.

jaymz
08-02-2010, 11:29 AM
I've been able to get the business license info for Albany, Berkeley and Dublin. Jacob has the info already. Still waiting for a return phone call from Alameda. If I don't hear from them soon, I'll call again. Can't get a live voice to answer - the phone always goes straight to voicemail. Can't wait to find out why we are doing this!

pennys dad
08-02-2010, 1:24 PM
I've been able to get the business license info for Albany, Berkeley and Dublin. Jacob has the info already. Still waiting for a return phone call from Alameda. If I don't hear from them soon, I'll call again. Can't get a live voice to answer - the phone always goes straight to voicemail. Can't wait to find out why we are doing this!

Awesome. Can you provide a quick outline what you are asking for so others can follow your lead? Thx for the Help!!

WatchMan
08-02-2010, 1:45 PM
Union City - Just spoke to the business licensing dept. Woman (I have her name) claims there are no licensed gun shops in the city at this time. There has not been a renewal within 4 years, according to her.

As was requested, here was my procedure:
*Go to city website and call main number
*Ask for department that issues business licenses for gun shops
*Call that number and ask how I can obtain copies of the licenses for the gun shops in the city.

ke6guj
08-02-2010, 1:51 PM
Union City - Just spoke to the business licensing dept. Woman (I have her name) claims there are no licensed gun shops in the city at this time. There has not been a renewal within 4 years, according to her.
ATF does not show any FFLs (excluding 03FFLs) with a premises address in Union City, but does show one with a mailing address there.

WatchMan
08-02-2010, 2:30 PM
San Leandro - Spoke with licensing office and this is what I was told:

Obtaining a list of all active business licenses for gun shops would be a special report that would have to be generated. This will take time, will not be immediate (I had the impression we are talking days to weeks) and can cost up to $50. She made obtaining actual copies of these licenses sound impossible.

stitchnicklas
08-02-2010, 2:38 PM
curious to what is going on and what is the need for these items??
if it is secret ,them pm me what is up...

ke6guj
08-02-2010, 2:41 PM
San Leandro - Spoke with licensing office and this is what I was told:

Obtaining a list of all active business licenses for gun shops would be a special report that would have to be generated. This will take time, will not be immediate (I had the impression we are talking days to weeks) and can cost up to $50. She made obtaining actual copies of these licenses sound impossible.

well, since there is only one FFL with a premisis address in San Leandro, Security Six, it shouldn't be too hard to pull that one business license.

WatchMan
08-02-2010, 2:51 PM
I'll give a call back. As I suspected, these folks don't seem to want to lift a finger...

I assume the public should have full access to these business licenses, correct? I'm getting a runaround about obtaining actual copies.

jaymz
08-02-2010, 3:07 PM
Awesome. Can you provide a quick outline what you are asking for so others can follow your lead? Thx for the Help!!

Basically all I've been asking is "where's the first stop that I need to make in order to obtain a business license to open a gun store in the city", and "how do I go about getting a copy of an existing business license"? That and a bit of small talk thrown in to be polite. Nothing fancy. Aside from waiting for callbacks, it's been quick and painless.

WatchMan
08-02-2010, 3:15 PM
Basically all I've been asking is "where's the first stop that I need to make in order to obtain a business license to open a gun store in the city", and "how do I go about getting a copy of an existing business license"? That and a bit of small talk thrown in to be polite. Nothing fancy. Aside from waiting for callbacks, it's been quick and painless.

So are we looking to get copies of licenses for ALL gun shops in these cities, or just one or a few for examples (from each city)?? This part is unclear to me from the OP. I was under the impression we are looking for ALL. I could be quite wrong.

jdberger
08-02-2010, 3:21 PM
So are we looking to get copies of licenses for ALL gun shops in these cities, or just one or a few for examples (from each city)?? This part is unclear to me from the OP. I was under the impression we are looking for ALL. I could be quite wrong.

all, please.

CharAznable
08-02-2010, 4:36 PM
You need entire phone books scanned? Or just specific pages?

wildhawker
08-02-2010, 4:44 PM
If anyone gets refused or substantial pushback during their search, please forward the issue and your contact info to Pennys Dad. I will be getting in touch with you.

-Brandon

botsdots
08-02-2010, 7:00 PM
Sounds like this may have been done, but I aggregated unemployment data by year and county and sent off to pennys dad.

hope it helps.

oepirate
08-02-2010, 8:18 PM
As per the agreement I signed...

Special thanks to the Maurice Marks Center for Local and California History at the Fremont main library for contributing 20 years of phone books.

In other words: I have the fremont area phonebook info and will coordinate license info tomorrow.

tiki
08-02-2010, 9:22 PM
I'm in Sacramento and have a scanner that can scan duplex at around 18 pages per minute, so I can do scans if needed.

pennys dad
08-02-2010, 10:16 PM
You need entire phone books scanned? Or just specific pages?

Just the pages with the Gun Shops.

thx for the help

pennys dad
08-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Sounds like this may have been done, but I aggregated unemployment data by year and county and sent off to pennys dad.

hope it helps.

Every single bit helps and yours was sent over for data entry :D

Thank You for the help

MindBuilder
08-03-2010, 12:18 AM
A digital camera is way faster than most scanners for copying pages in a book. You'll need something like a 3 Mega Pixel or better not some VGA or 640x480 phone camera. They have efficient book copiers at some libraries that hold the book in a 90 degree cradle and take pictures of two pages at once. I think they may be hard to find though.

Paul S
08-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Just did unemployment for California 1990-2010 and sent it to jacob.rascon@gmail.com. Hope that's what you were looking for.

Do Fresno County libraries have the phone books you guys would need?

Possibly but I'd guess that's a crap shoot. Telephone the main branch and ask for the reference librarian. They have an amazing collection in the basement
but you need to be accompanied by a library staffer to prowl through the special stuff.
Paul S

AndrewMendez
08-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Anybody willing to spend the night typing with me? I am more then likely going to need some help. Send me a PM please.

Andrew

obeygiant
08-03-2010, 2:18 AM
• We need someone to call the cities listed below and ask for information on which department issue’s business licenses for gun shops, and how can we get copies of the issued business licenses? We need all sources for citing references , Once collected send them to my email address jacob.rascon@gmail.com
o Alameda
o Albany
o Berkeley
o Dublin
o Emeryville
o Fremont
o Hayward
o Livermore
o Newark
o Oakland
o Piedmont
o Pleasanton
o San Leandro
o Union City

Business License Contact Info for each city:

Albany business licenses (http://www.albanyca.org/index.aspx?page=174)
Finance & Administrative Services Department
1000 San Pablo Avenue
Albany, CA 94706
Phone: (510) 528-5730
Monday: 8:30 am – 7:00 pm
Tuesday-Thursday: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Friday: 8:30 am – 12:30 pm

Berkeley (http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/ContentDisplay.aspx?id=4248&portalID=20)
Customer Service Center:
1947 Center Street
(510) 981-7200,
BusLic@ci.berkeley.ca.us

Dublin (http://www.ci.dublin.ca.us/DepartmentSub.cfm?PL=exp&SL=buslic)
Community Development Department
City Hall on the first floor,
100 Civic Plaza, Dublin, CA 94568
Phone Number (925) 833-6620 or 833-6610.

e-ville (http://www.ci.emeryville.ca.us/index.aspx?NID=241)
CITY OF EMERYVILLE
1333 PARK AVENUE, EMERYVILLE CA 94608
BUSLICHELP@CI.EMERYVILLE.CA.US
WWW.CI.EMERYVILLE.CA.US
(510) 596-4325

Fremont (http://www.fremont.gov/index.aspx?nid=537)
City of Fremont Revenue Division,
39550 Liberty Street,
P.O. Box 5006,
Fremont, CA 94537-5006
(510) 494-4790

Hayward (http://www.ci.hayward.ca.us/webware/Default.aspx?Message=1616&t=-1)
Revenue Division
City Hall - First Floor
777 B Street
Hayward, CA 94541
Business License at 510-583-4600

Livermore (http://www.ci.livermore.ca.us/license.html)
Finance Department
Phone (925) 960-4310,
FAX (925) 960-4319 or
E-mail: businesslicense@ci.livermore.ca.us

Newark (http://www.ci.newark.ca.us/departments/finance/business-licensing/)
Newark, CA 94560
Telephone: (510) 578-4310
Fax: (510) 578-4358
Email: finance@newark.org
Office Hours
8:00AM to 5:00PM

Oakland (http://www.oaklandnet.com/government/fwawebsite/revenue/revenue_biztaxreq.htm)
Finance and Management Agency
Phone #(510) 238-3704
Office Hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Wednesday, 9:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Piedmont (http://www.ci.piedmont.ca.us/cityclerk.shtml)
City Clerk
City of Piedmont
120 Vista Avenue
Piedmont, CA 94611
(510) 420-3040.

Pleasanton (http://www.ci.pleasanton.ca.us/business/license/)
The City Business License office is located at
200 Old Bernal Avenue
Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm.
The general number is (925) 931-5440.

San Leandro (http://www.sanleandro.org/depts/cd/bizdev/licenses/start.asp)
Finance Department's Business License Hotline at
(510) 577-3468 or (510) 577-3392.
San Leandro City Hall,
835 E 14th Street,
San Leandro, CA 94577

Union City (http://www.ci.union-city.ca.us/admin/business_license.htm)
City Hall
Business License Dept.
34009 Alvarado-Niles Road
Union City CA 94587
Fax completed forms to 510-487-9361.
If you have any questions contact the Cashier at 510-675-5343.

jaymz
08-03-2010, 6:16 AM
Can someone update which cities have been contacted for the licensing questions? I've got the first four on the list handled. Alameda has still not responded to multiple voice mails, but the other three have provided the info already. I need to know if I can get some work done today :D, or if I need to call more cities.

sreiter
08-03-2010, 9:10 AM
might wanna check the treasury office of the state. they collect for things such as "bonds".....dont gun shop personal need to be bonded ?

45DAVID1
08-03-2010, 9:50 AM
No offense, but isn't this type of work designed for people who actually work for the CGF? I'd like to think my donation goes towards this type of busy body work.

383green
08-03-2010, 10:02 AM
No offense, but isn't this type of work designed for people who actually work for the CGF? I'd like to think my donation goes towards this type of busy body work.

I don't think that our donations go towards paying rooms full of clerical staff.

:popcorn:

wildhawker
08-03-2010, 10:20 AM

David,

Your donations do better than that. They go - nearly 100% of them - directly to the front lines of RKBA legal activism and education.

CGF has no staff and almost no operating cost. It has an entirely uncompensated and largely un-reimbursed Board of volunteer directors. We operate out of donated office space and incur very little fixed costs (think our 800 number, etc.). When we're calling folks back, it's on our phones.

While we could purchase services for some of this information, there are 2 inherent issues with it: a) we as a Board believe that our community is capable of - and indeed has - excelled at grassroots response, and 2) we simply do not generate the types of revenues to simply "pay for everything" on every one of our numerous activities underway. Revenues from donations would not sustain a full-time assistant, even, along with our legal work. We are committed to *not* having employees and will utilize every resource available to keep your return on investment ratio extraordinarily high.

This means that we work "after work" until the wee hours of the morning to research, analyse and prepare all the product you see in its final form. I'm fortunate to have some additional flexibility and offer a substantial portion of my time during regular business hours to handling CGF's "busy work"; Gene, Bill, Brett and the entire Board spends countless hours on our cases and projects in between the other activities which keep their families fed and 'real work' business operations moving forward.

So, rest assured, your donations are going to good use in this effort - just not on "busy body work". ;)

-Brandon

jdberger
08-03-2010, 10:28 AM

Ouch.

That kinda hurts.

The Foundation is completely run by volunteers with real jobs and families and dogs to walk and lawns to mow....there's no "staff".

The Foundation projects you see are all built up by folks who volunteer their time and effort.

Which brings me to a question, have you got a couple hours to do some data entry for CGF? They could use the help. ;)

WatchMan
08-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Can someone update which cities have been contacted for the licensing questions? I've got the first four on the list handled. Alameda has still not responded to multiple voice mails, but the other three have provided the info already. I need to know if I can get some work done today :D, or if I need to call more cities.

I called Union City and San Leandro (starting from the bottom of the list). Although I didn't get very far, I believe pennys dad and wildhawker are looking into them now. I am trying to get through to Pleasanton presently.

Maybe I just need to hone my persuasive skills :D

WatchMan
08-03-2010, 10:46 AM

The way I'm looking at it, they have a sick amount of material to collect, process and present in an insanely short amount of time, and did the right thing by reaching out to CGN. I just hope we can get it all together in time!

45DAVID1
08-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Ouch.

That kinda hurts.

The Foundation is completely run by volunteers with real jobs and families and dogs to walk and lawns to mow....there's no "staff".

The Foundation projects you see are all built up by folks who volunteer their time and effort.

Which brings me to a question, have you got a couple hours to do some data entry for CGF? They could use the help. ;)

I will have a few hours next week to do some data entry. Send me a PM if you still need it next week.

Eargasm
08-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Just got back into town and got the PM. I'm at work 'til 5...is today the absolute deadline for information gathering?

wildhawker
08-03-2010, 11:48 AM
We'll continue to take data ongoing 'just in case'.

N6ATF
08-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Maybe I just need to hone my persuasive skills :D

Show them the $$$.

jaymz
08-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Alameda is handled.

oepirate
08-03-2010, 4:38 PM
Phone books for Fremont, SF, Oakland, and what I could find of Tri-Valley are being uploaded to Google docs right now. Not much on Tri-Valley so if anyone has sources, tap them.

Steyrlp10
08-03-2010, 4:53 PM
Anybody willing to spend the night typing with me? I am more then likely going to need some help. Send me a PM please.

Andrew

Sorry I'm not closer Andrew -- we could smoke keyboards together :)

wildhawker
08-03-2010, 5:12 PM
1. Huge thanks to oepirate for the substantial help gathering raw data yesterday and today.

2. AndrewMendez is point on data entry; *he needs your help*. Even if you're just entering a phone book or two, PLEASE DO WHAT YOU CAN tonight.

3. Historical business license data seems to be trickling in. I think Jacob can post a quick update tonight on where we are and what we need.

4. Still need Tri-Valley (Pleasanton/Dublin/Livermore) phonebooks for 1990-1995 and 2005-current.

jaymz
08-03-2010, 5:36 PM
1. Huge thanks to oepirate for the substantial help gathering raw data yesterday and today.

2. AndrewMendez is point on data entry; *he needs your help*. Even if you're just entering a phone book or two, PLEASE DO WHAT YOU CAN tonight.

3. Historical business license data seems to be trickling in. I think Jacob can post a quick update tonight on where we are and what we need.

4. Still need Tri-Valley (Pleasanton/Dublin/Livermore) phonebooks for 1990-1995 and 2005-current.

I'm a little confused guys. Was I supposed to actually get business license copies? I was under the impression that we just needed info on how/where to get them.

pennys dad
08-03-2010, 8:56 PM
I'm a little confused guys. Was I supposed to actually get business license copies? I was under the impression that we just needed info on how/where to get them.

Dont even worry, You are correct. The wonderful thing about information is once you have some you want more, its better then crack.

I will update the first thread.

jaymz
08-03-2010, 9:03 PM
Dont even worry, You are correct. The wonderful thing about information is once you have some you want more, its better then crack.

I will update the first thread.

And usually cheaper than crack! Is there anything else that needs to be done?

pennys dad
08-03-2010, 9:13 PM
And usually cheaper than crack! Is there anything else that needs to be done?

Putting together the list. I am pretty sure we are got everything

Lyte-
08-03-2010, 9:17 PM

Andrew

Left you a message answer, call me back!

I will be up semi late but I do have to be up early for long day of work again...

Lyte-
08-03-2010, 9:21 PM
Putting together the list. I am pretty sure we are got everything

Jacob I called you also about an hour ago...

one of you 2 call me back and tell me what I need to enter!

pennys dad
08-03-2010, 9:40 PM
Jacob I called you also about an hour ago...

one of you 2 call me back and tell me what I need to enter!

Understood

CaliforniaLiberal
08-03-2010, 10:31 PM
You guys are awesome! Thank you to all of those who give freely of your time and your money to support the CalGuns cause.

CP562
08-03-2010, 10:45 PM
You guys are awesome! Thank you to all of those who give freely of your time and your money to support the CalGuns cause.

+1000

HansGruber
08-04-2010, 12:02 AM
1st post.
Working on Oakland for 1990.

obeygiant
08-04-2010, 12:02 AM
I'm working on phonebook entries for fremont starting with 1990

Exposed
08-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Im working on Tri-Valley from 95-2005 now!

HansGruber
08-04-2010, 1:19 AM
Oakland 1990 done.
Now on to 1991.
I see someone else is working on this. Hopefully we don't step on each other's toes.
Gosh, I hate that phrase.

obeygiant
08-04-2010, 1:23 AM
If you are currently entering data in the Phone book spreadsheet, please post which phone books you are currently working on.

btw, we are kicking some serious @ss on this!

ETA:

I've gone through the 90-2000 Fremont phone books

AndrewMendez
08-04-2010, 3:06 AM
The stepping on toes is inevitable, don't worry about it. How far into Oakland did you get?
It looks like we missed 06, maybe we had some issues? I will double check the papers I have and see if I can find the missing loop.

Everyone who sent information to Jacob (PennysDad) thank you very much, it came in very handy, and if it was not put into use this specific time, we can use it on the next adventure!

wildhawker
08-04-2010, 3:07 AM
Excellent work tonight all. We're very close to wrapping up the data collection.

Many thanks to everyone who's been emailing info in and entering into the database!

AndrewMendez
08-04-2010, 3:11 AM
Purple K,
I sincerely apologize, I literally just checked my voicemail. I had zero missed calls, and assumed the little icon was someone else. I promise, I will throw some work down your throat the next go around!

Andrew Mendez

Lyte-
08-04-2010, 6:39 AM
Ive been trying to access the spreadsheet on google groups for a while and I can't.

I thought Pennysdad added me a while ago...

wildhawker
08-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Can someone give me a hand looking for these stats ASAP?

1. NATIONAL CRIME STATS

By year, 1990-2010

* Violent
* Homicide
* Firearm

2. SUICIDE, SELF-INFLICTED & UNINTENTIONAL INJURY STATS

By year, 1990-2009

Targets:
California (overall)
Alameda County
All counties?

Type:
All firearm
All intentional self-inflicted
All unintentional self-inflicted
Self-inflicted fatal firearm
Unintentional fatal firearm
Self-inflicted non-fatal firearm
Unintentional non-fatal firearm

Sources: ca.gov & us.gov agencies preferred

WatchMan
08-04-2010, 11:35 AM

SUICIDE, SELF-INFLICTED & UNINTENTIONAL INJURY STATS

Targets:
California
Alameda County

Type:
All firearm

I assume you have already found http://apps.cdph.ca.gov/epicdata/content/ST_firearm.htm which allows you to create reports customized to your desired demographic sorting. I will continue to look for more in the time I have right now.

WatchMan
08-04-2010, 11:40 AM
From the website I just posted: I can't get the formatting right. Hold on while I figure this out (amateur),

Firearm Injuries, 2007
Fatal Injuries
California Residents

<1 1-4 5-12 13-15 16-20 21-44 45-64 65+ Total
Unintentional - Firearm 0 1 1 0 8 17 13 2 42
Suicide - Firearm 0 0 1 7 46 424 557 369 1,404
Homicide - Firearm 3 5 6 58 403 1,007 180 22 1,684
Legal Intervention - Firearm 0 0 0 1 10 60 7 2 80
Undetermined - Firearm 0 0 0 1 3 10 6 1 21
Total 3 6 8 67 470 1,518 763 396 3,231

Prepared by California Department of Public Health, EPIC Branch
Source: California Department of Public Health, Vital Statistics Death Statistical Master File
Warning: 1999 and later death data use ICD-10 cause of death codes.
Use caution in comparing 1999 and later death data to previous years' death data or any hospitalization data.
August 4, 2010

Firearm Injuries, 2007
Fatal Injuries
Alameda County Residents

<1 1-4 5-12 13-15 16-20 21-44 45-64 65+ Total
Unintentional - Firearm 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 2
Suicide - Firearm 0 0 0 0 2 19 13 10 44
Homicide - Firearm 0 1 2 3 27 79 8 1 121
Legal Intervention - Firearm 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1
Undetermined - Firearm 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Total 0 1 3 3 29 100 21 11 168

Prepared by California Department of Public Health, EPIC Branch
Source: California Department of Public Health, Vital Statistics Death Statistical Master File
Warning: 1999 and later death data use ICD-10 cause of death codes.
Use caution in comparing 1999 and later death data to previous years' death data or any hospitalization data.
August 4, 2010

WatchMan
08-04-2010, 11:41 AM
I can't seem to get the formatting to come out right on here...I suck. Anyway, it's really easy to create PDFs of most of the data you're looking for from that website. If you need me to generate some for you, say the word. I can get some of it done a little later in the day.

Hope this helps.

wildhawker
08-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Yes, and also: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/data/statistics/Pages/DeathStatisticalDataTables.aspx

I just don't have the time to dedicate this morning. Any help you all could lend would be greatly appreciated!

-Brandon

I assume you have already found http://apps.cdph.ca.gov/epicdata/content/ST_firearm.htm which allows you to create reports customized to your desired demographic sorting. I will continue to look for more in the time I have right now.

jaymz
08-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Here you go (http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/pubs/ohirsuicidedeaths2004.pdf) Most recent I could find quickly.

SUICIDE, SELF-INFLICTED & UNINTENTIONAL INJURY STATS

Targets:
California
Alameda County

Type:
All firearm

obeygiant
08-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Here you go (http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/pubs/ohirsuicidedeaths2004.pdf) Most recent I could find quickly.

1980 -1996 (http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/Pubs/OHIRsuicideDeaths1980-1996.pdf)
1998 (http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/Pubs/OHIRsuicideDeaths1998.pdf)
1999 (http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/Pubs/OHIRsuicideDeaths1999.pdf)
2000-2003 (http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/Pubs/OHIRsuicideDeaths2000-2003.pdf)
2004 (http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/Pubs/OHIRsuicideDeaths2004.pdf)

wildhawker
08-04-2010, 1:19 PM
NATIONAL CRIME STATS

By year, 1990-2010

* Violent
* Homicide
* Firearm

ironpegasus
08-04-2010, 1:26 PM
Here are the National Homicide and Violent Crime Rates (source http://bjsdata.ojp.usdoj.gov/dataonline/Search/Crime/State/TrendsInOneVar.cfm) for 1990 - 2008 (most recent avail).

WatchMan
08-04-2010, 1:44 PM
fatal is here - nonfatal in next post

WatchMan
08-04-2010, 1:45 PM
nonfatal

dantodd
08-04-2010, 1:53 PM
Excellent data Watchman. Can you pull the same for non-firearms incidents?

WatchMan
08-04-2010, 1:57 PM
Excellent data Watchman. Can you pull the same for non-firearms incidents?

Leading causes of death - CA

WatchMan
08-04-2010, 1:58 PM
Leading causes of death - by county

WatchMan
08-04-2010, 2:04 PM
total deaths by county and CA totals, by year:

WatchMan
08-04-2010, 2:09 PM
I just realized the non-firearms death data may not be relevant. I will search for nonfirearm injury data, but may not get far right now due to time restrictions.

dantodd
08-04-2010, 2:18 PM
Leading causes of death - by county

Anyway to break out intentional self-harm into, firearm and non-firearm related?

AndrewMendez
08-04-2010, 2:24 PM
Watchman, you are an asset to the team! Thank you!

WatchMan
08-04-2010, 2:30 PM
No idea if these will be relevant or not, but here are stats on occupational injuries in CA (I have only collected nonfatal to this point) from here:

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlsr/statistics_research.html

WatchMan
08-04-2010, 2:31 PM
Continued: if these stats are useful, I can do fatal occupational injuries too. Let me know.

wildhawker
08-04-2010, 2:34 PM
Anyway to break out intentional self-harm into, firearm and non-firearm related?

I'm pretty sure it's avail somewhere, but I don't recall which source. Anyone?

WatchMan
08-04-2010, 2:41 PM

It can be done: from the firearm-related death by intent data (for a given year), find the number for suicide and and subtract that from the intentional self-harm data in the leading causes of death spreadsheet. The resulting number should give you non-firearm related suicide/self-harm.

I just don't have time to do this right yet. I have to run out for a while.

Hope this helps. ;)

Lyte-
08-04-2010, 6:52 PM
It can be done: from the firearm-related death by intent data (for a given year), find the number for suicide and and subtract that from the intentional self-harm data in the leading causes of death spreadsheet. The resulting number should give you non-firearm related suicide/self-harm.

I just don't have time to do this right yet. I have to run out for a while.

Hope this helps. ;)

I just got home from work.

Is this breakout still needed?

Richie Caketown
08-04-2010, 6:54 PM
This might be an idea but what you thought about bringing up Drunk Driving related deaths/incidents? A year or two back when i did a project in school i found out that over the span of 3 years more people died from drunk driving collisions than homicide , it think it was 1500 -2000 more in the drunk category than homocides

Purple K
08-04-2010, 7:27 PM
Purple K,
I sincerely apologize, I literally just checked my voicemail. I had zero missed calls, and assumed the little icon was someone else. I promise, I will throw some work down your throat the next go around!

Andrew Mendez

Okee Dokee

WatchMan
08-04-2010, 10:46 PM

Unless someone else has done it already, yes. I have not done it. I will likely not get to it tonight either :(

dantodd
08-04-2010, 11:20 PM

No worries I'll do it. I was just hoping someone would have the time to do it before I started working on the charts. Might have let me get to bed before midnight! :-)

My son has been getting up around 5:30 since he got his casts on, it shortens my evening work considerably.

wildhawker
08-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Excellent work, team. More to come very soon.

-Brandon

tetris
08-18-2010, 2:51 PM
Find somebody with access to one of those fancy copy machines with the ADF (automatic document feeder) that scans, PDFs and e-mails... They cut the spine off the phone book and watch the pages fly. I could do it on my machine at work, but I'm across the country at the moment.

wildhawker
08-18-2010, 2:56 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply more *work* was to come.

wash
08-18-2010, 3:08 PM
I really liked the CGF Nordyke brief. It really knocks down any apearance of any real public safety interest in keeping gun shows out of the fairgrounds.

Thank you to everyone that contributed to this effort.

hoffmang
08-18-2010, 3:40 PM
Excellent work all. The product of these efforts are here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=333298

-Gene