PDA

View Full Version : Private Party LA City Ammo transfer rules

zrunr
08-01-2010, 6:26 PM
I have read the LA city code related to ammo sales within the city and I can't see any prohibiton against private party ammo transfers within the city. Is this correct or am I missing something? The law seems to regulate commercial vendors only.

I was told by local ammo vendor that all person to person ammo transfers are banned in LA city.

Full Clip
08-01-2010, 6:33 PM
Not that I've heard of.
Of course, he's trying to sell you something, no?

zrunr
08-02-2010, 9:48 PM
Not that I've heard of.
Of course, he's trying to sell you something, no?

They are trying to sell ammo in LA but that is no reason to insist that a false law exists and suggest that I was crazy or bordline criminal to even question them. I would like to correctly inform them of what the law is in LA city on ammo transfers. I know they were wrong to claim that violations of the current law are felonies; the text of the ordinance states otherwise.

Can anyone else offer an answer to the question of private party ammo transfers in the city of LA?

fd15k
08-03-2010, 8:09 AM
Can anyone else offer an answer to the question of private party ammo transfers in the city of LA?

All the firearms related regulations in the city of Los Angeles are defined under Article 5. There are some specific prohibitions for ammunition there, such as transfer of ammunition "during the period of seven days prior to the first day of January of each year or on the first day of January of each year, or during the seven days prior to the Fourth of July of each year or on the Fourth of July of each year" and transfer of .50 caliber ammunition (both rifle and handgun). But I don't see anything that prohibits private persons from doing the transfers in general. Here is the link to relevant section of the municipal code:

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/California/lamc/municipalcode/chaptervpublicsafetyandprotection?f=templates$fn=d ocument-frame.htm$3.0#JD_C5A5