PDA

View Full Version : Father-Son transfer

jeffsenpai
08-01-2010, 1:20 PM
What are the rules on family transfers of firearms,

Both father and son are residents of CA, do we need to do any formal paperwork or is it just a simple verbal agreement when the gun changes hands?

Mssr. Eleganté
08-01-2010, 1:26 PM
For long guns there is no paperwork required. For handguns the recipient needs to be at least 18 years of age, must have a Handgun Safety Certificate, and must mail in a copy of the Intra-Family Handgun Report to CalDOJ along with $19 within 30 days of acquiring the handgun. Here's a link to the form... http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

sbrady@Michel&Associates
08-01-2010, 2:12 PM
For long guns there is no paperwork required. For handguns the recipient needs to be at least 18 years of age, must have a Handgun Safety Certificate, and must mail in a copy of the Intra-Family Handgun Report to CalDOJ along with $19 within 30 days of acquiring the handgun. Here's a link to the form... http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

^^This, with the caveat that if it qualifies as a California "assault weapon" (whether long-gun or handgun) you most likely cannot transfer it to your son.

johnthomas
08-01-2010, 2:23 PM
I know your question is only about father and son. This rule applies to Mom's and grandparents as well. No sibling or extended family transfer in this manner though. Also remember, a firearm cannot be transfered to a prohibited person, family or not.

jeffsenpai
08-02-2010, 9:24 PM
Thanks for the answers guys. I assume this is the same if I want to give my wife one of my .22 rifles as well? Heck it is all community property anyways.

Cokebottle
08-02-2010, 9:26 PM
Thanks for the answers guys. I assume this is the same if I want to give my wife one of my .22 rifles as well? Heck it is all community property anyways.
It's a similar situation, called "conversion".
I don't know if it uses the op-law form or not.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-02-2010, 11:08 PM
It's a similar situation, called "conversion".
I don't know if it uses the op-law form or not.

It's a "transmutation" of property. Transmutation of a firearm between spouses is considered an "operation of law" transfer. Operation of Law handgun transfers use the same form as Intra-family handgun transfers. Operation of Law long gun transfers between spouses don't require reporting at all.

bjl333
08-02-2010, 11:46 PM
I assume this is the same if I want to give my wife one of my .22 rifles as well? Heck it is all community property anyways.

Nope ... If she knows about it then its hers !!! Don't you know by now ... Whats yours is hers, whats hers is hers ... :43:

lovinglife
08-12-2010, 7:18 AM
My grandpa moved to New Mexico 5 years ago, when he was there he bought a Glock 19. He is now back in California and gave me the gun as a gift. Is this considered intra-familal or no?

Librarian
08-12-2010, 7:55 AM
My grandpa moved to New Mexico 5 years ago, when he was there he bought a Glock 19. He is now back in California and gave me the gun as a gift. Is this considered intra-familal or no?

Yes.

File the Oplaw form, send in your $19 and you're fine.

Big Jake
08-12-2010, 8:07 AM
Yes.

File the Oplaw form, send in your $19 and you're fine.

You can print the form from the DOJ website and mail it in. No need to go to an FFL!

ilikeguns
08-12-2010, 8:39 AM
So if my father dros's a long gun, he can simply give it to me later and everything is square?

misterjake
08-12-2010, 9:01 AM
So if my father dros's a long gun, he can simply give it to me later and everything is square?

If you both live in CA and it's not an AW then yes. :)

Mssr. Eleganté
08-12-2010, 12:47 PM

If by "he is now back in California" you mean he now lives in California then it would be legal to transfer the handgun to you this way, as long as you are at least 18 years of age and have a valid HSC. If by "he is now back in California" you mean he is now visiting you in California but still lives in New Mexico then the transfer has to go through a California licensed dealer.

JAvendan
08-12-2010, 3:00 PM
i'm going to piggy back off of this thread :)

my dad has a ruger p85 with 2 - 15 rnd mags.

the mags transfer???

thanks.

joel

Cokebottle
08-12-2010, 6:41 PM
my dad has a ruger p85 with 2 - 15 rnd mags.

the mags transfer???

Negative.

JAvendan
08-12-2010, 8:32 PM
that sucks!

thanks for the reply.

joel

Negative.

luckystrike
08-12-2010, 8:46 PM
who do you write the check out to exactly?

Mssr. Eleganté
08-13-2010, 1:04 AM
who do you write the check out to exactly?

Are you talking about the $19 check for the Intra-Familial/Op-Law form? The instructions are right there on the form...

Individuals must submit this application with a fee of $19 in the form of a check or money order made payable to the Department of Justice

Or are you talking about checks in general? Most other checks should be made out to me.

Mssr. Eleganté
Château Eleganté
San Francisco, 23, California

luckystrike
08-13-2010, 9:11 AM
:smilielol5:Are you talking about the $19 check for the Intra-Familial/Op-Law form? The instructions are right there on the form...

Or are you talking about checks in general? Most other checks should be made out to me.

Mssr. Eleganté
Château Eleganté
San Francisco, 23, California

duh...hahaha:)