PDA

View Full Version : I am heading to Lone Pine to hunt some bunnies! (Update with carnage pics!)

Big Jake
08-01-2010, 11:35 AM
I will be leaving Tuesday for a few days to find some bunnies and maybe yotes. Anyone not busy and want to join me? :43:

spectr17
08-01-2010, 1:06 PM
Good luck. I was out filming last night here where we can't hunt anymore on the outskirts of town and the bunnies were hopping everywhere around us. GAH!!!

Big Jake
08-01-2010, 2:16 PM
Good luck. I was out filming last night here where we can't hunt anymore on the outskirts of town and the bunnies were hopping everywhere around us. GAH!!!

I stay in Lone Pine and I will hunt an area I found just East of Manzanar. Bunnies are everywhere! I will bring my camera and laptop and post up carnage pics when I get em! :43:

andrewj
08-01-2010, 2:29 PM
Go check out Reward Mine if you haven't already.

Big Jake
08-01-2010, 3:48 PM
Go check out Reward Mine if you haven't already.

There are quite a few mine sites in the area. I may check out a few after I deplete the Earth of a few of Bug's relatives! :43:

andrewj
08-01-2010, 5:06 PM
There are quite a few mine sites in the area.

No kidding. The whole eastern side of the valley is riddled with them.

Here's a pic of the valley from when I hiked to the upper winch system on top of Reward Mine. I suppose you'll be hunting somewhere in the pictured area.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/MUFFIN25/IMGP0358-1.jpg

And here I am playing Taliban hunter in the hills :D

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/MUFFIN25/a3cb0210.jpg

rooster85
08-01-2010, 5:15 PM
Where is lonepine? i was wanting to get out and take care of peter cotton tail.

Big Jake
08-01-2010, 8:44 PM
Where is lonepine? i was wanting to get out and take care of peter cotton tail.

Up Highway .395 in the Owens Valley. There are so many freekin rabbits up there it is ridiculous. They are not easy to hunt, however, as the Jack Rabbits are fast and quick. They spook easily and will clear out of an area if people are around a lot especially with gun fire. I move around quite a bit to keep em guessing!

Big Jake
08-01-2010, 8:48 PM
No kidding. The whole eastern side of the valley is riddled with them.

Here's a pic of the valley from when I hiked to the upper winch system on top of Reward Mine. I suppose you'll be hunting somewhere in the pictured area.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/MUFFIN25/IMGP0358-1.jpg

And here I am playing Taliban hunter in the hills :D

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/MUFFIN25/a3cb0210.jpg

Great pics! :cool2:

gigahertz
08-02-2010, 9:16 AM
Oh man I would totally go but my truck is having issues and got to take it in tomorrow. Looking forward to some major carnage photos! :44:

Big Jake
08-02-2010, 1:46 PM
Oh man I would totally go but my truck is having issues and got to take it in tomorrow. Looking forward to some major carnage photos! :44:

I am taking my laptop and camera so I will post up pics from my hotel as soon as I get some!

Big Jake
08-03-2010, 3:27 PM
I arrived in Lone Pine around 8:00 A.M. this morning. I stopped at the local Chevron station to gas up, get some O.J., and most importantly, drop a deuce! I got out to my hunting spot several miles away on DWP land around 8:30 A.M. I Spent about one and a half hours walking around and I got four bunnies. I will be heading out to the alfalfa fields later this evening when it cools down. It is around ninty-eight degrees now. I think I will go for a swim at my motel! I also found a bar in Lone Pine with my name's sake LOL! :D

Check out the carnage pics....

Sig_Shooter
08-03-2010, 4:13 PM
Congrats on your success so far. Man I wish I could have joined you. Looking forward to the afternoon session pics.

andrewj
08-03-2010, 5:27 PM
Looks like a great time. I really got to get a hunting license. What rifle/caliber are you usng?

Big Jake
08-03-2010, 7:47 PM
Looks like a great time. I really got to get a hunting license. What rifle/caliber are you usng?

Custom Ruger Mini-14 caliber .223. Here is a pic!

Big Jake
08-03-2010, 7:51 PM
Well it's 7:50 P.M. and I just got back to my motel. I got skunked tonight as it was still pretty warm at 7:30 P.M. I saw a few bunnies, but they were pretty far away and I could not get off a good shot. I will get up bright and early tommorow morning and get out to my spot around daybreak and see if I can get some more bunnies.

They seem to prefer the cool morning temps over the heat. Well it's off to Carl's Jr. for dinner and then back for some calguns trolling LOL! :D

Cire 5th
08-04-2010, 8:12 AM
Nice. I am going to go shoot some bunnies myself soon here. I only got an AR 15 to do it with. I was planning on getting some meat but from what people been telling me that there will be no meat left after an AR 15 .223 gets to it. :( I hope there are Coyotes there too.

ZX-10R
08-04-2010, 8:15 AM
Great pics.

gigahertz
08-04-2010, 9:42 AM
I arrived in Lone Pine around 8:00 A.M. this morning. I stopped at the local Chevron station to gas up, get some O.J., and most importantly, drop a deuce! I got out to my hunting spot several miles away on DWP land around 8:30 A.M. I Spent about one and a half hours walking around and I got four bunnies. I will be heading out to the alfalfa fields later this evening when it cools down. It is around ninty-eight degrees now. I think I will go for a swim at my motel! I also found a bar in Lone Pine with my name's sake LOL! :D

Check out the carnage pics....

Sounds like a great trip so far! How much ground did u cover during that time? Good luck with the rest of your trip!

gunnerdan
08-04-2010, 10:01 AM
thanks for sharing the pics!

i love lone pine. my folks and i go there multiple times a year for the ever-so-precious golden trout. great fishing throughout the east sierras and i see more bunnies and yotes (and bears) than i can count when i am out there.

lots of famous old westerns shot there (as well as transformers and iron man). great place to check out and reasonable driving distance from LA.

Big Jake
08-04-2010, 3:40 PM
Sounds like a great trip so far! How much ground did u cover during that time? Good luck with the rest of your trip!

I have a specific place I like to go not far from an abandoned mine site. Walking around for two miles or so. Not bad except that it is hot so I go early to avoid the heat of the day!

Big Jake
08-04-2010, 3:43 PM
Nice. I am going to go shoot some bunnies myself soon here. I only got an AR 15 to do it with. I was planning on getting some meat but from what people been telling me that there will be no meat left after an AR 15 .223 gets to it. :( I hope there are Coyotes there too.

You can see what .223 rounds do to bunnies from the pics I posted. I have some law enforcement only .223 ammo I got from an LEO friend. They are loaded really hot. Hornaday rounds with .75 grain powder. Nasty rounds as you can see. You can't buy this ammo in any store, but the .55 grain Federal ammo does a nice job as well.

I may head back up that way for a few days in two weeks if anyone wants to join me. I am off work now and I like to go mid week as it is not as crowded! PM me if anyone is interested in joining me! I just got back home a bit ago. I decided to come back because it was really hot yesterday and the forcast was hotter for today. I went to my spot early this morning but a bunch of other hunters showed up in the area and they had the "Bubba" look to them so I decided to err on the side of caution. These guys had a few cases of beer in the back of their truck and I wanted no part of being around that so I called it a day early and headed home!

Big Jake
08-09-2010, 8:42 PM
For those wanting to go on the Labor Day hunting trip check out the pics of the bunnies I shot in post #12 of this thread!

Vtec44
08-11-2010, 11:21 AM
do it on a weekend next time and I'll join you. :D I hike up Mt Whitney once in a while but never hunted there.

Big Jake
08-11-2010, 11:38 AM
do it on a weekend next time and I'll join you. :D I hike up Mt Whitney once in a while but never hunted there.

This is a weekend!

professionalcoyotehunter
08-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Great job. Did you save them so I can make jerky.

Big Jake
08-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Great job. Did you save them so I can make jerky.

Left em where I shot em PCH! It is funny that you mention it because as I was hunting I was thinking/laughing about you making rabbit jerky. (Seriously!) LOL!:D

Big Jake
08-12-2010, 4:37 PM
I am sure we will get more on our upcoming trip!

hypnoman
08-12-2010, 5:58 PM
Great pics, Big Jake!

Big Jake
08-12-2010, 6:05 PM
Great pics, Big Jake!

Thanks. All are welcome to go on our Labor Day trip!

Bearclaw
08-12-2010, 6:08 PM

Just go for the head shot if you feel confident. Nobody I know eats rabbit heads anyway!

...except for PCH maybe!!!

Big Jake
08-12-2010, 7:15 PM
Just go for the head shot if you feel confident. Nobody I know eats rabbit heads anyway!

...except for PCH maybe!!!

He makes jerky out of them!