PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth trout trip

kount53
08-01-2010, 12:41 AM
i was up in mammoth area fishing fly fishing all week. fished the east walker, hot creek, rock creek, mcgee creek, and the san joaquin. The walker was a little slow but as always most of the fish were quality, 12-16 inches. Hot creek was good to me one day, for 5 nice fish but slow the next day, that place can be very fickle. Rock creek and mcgee bit pretty good on small fish. Finished up hiking into the san joaquin from agnew meadow, i had word the flows were kinda high, but it seemed good to me. we hiked a couple miles in and caught probably 80 fish, mostly golden rainbow hybrids on dry droppers from 6 to 11 inches, I did catch a 12 inch beautiful brookie on a stimulator. All in all good trip i wish the walker bit a little better bieng that that place has huge fish potential.

cpt_majestic
08-01-2010, 2:11 AM
Nice report. I'm heading up Wednesday

stphnman20
08-01-2010, 6:33 AM
Nice man.. Was up there the opening day.. Going back before the season closes..

kount53
08-01-2010, 8:26 AM
if you guys are going to the east walker a number 18 trico spinner about 2 feet behind like a #14 or 16 elk hair caddis worked well for me and my buddy they seemed to be on to the trico spinner pretty good that way, it was just barely sub surface there wasnt a whole lot of fish being caught but i had like 9 bites on that setup in mid morning during the trico hatch. i was getting bit on both flies.

Big Jake
08-01-2010, 8:35 AM
Post pics if you got em!