PDA

View Full Version : Trader Sports Closes Forever

aklon
07-31-2010, 10:33 PM
Trader Sports in San Leandro lost their FFL in 2006 thanks to some paperwork errors dating to 1974, but the store remained open selling everything BUT guns. They were good for ammunition, camping gear, reloading supplies, etc., but most people thought they'd closed and so they struggled all these years. Still, they were good for some nice buys so it paid to drop by.

Today I went in just to see what was new and was told it was their last day open for business. I've been a customer there for more than 35 years so they cut me some great deals.

It's too bad they closed. Tony Cucciara was a great friend of NRA and gun owners in California, putting a lot of his money out for what he saw as a worthy cause.

armygunsmith
07-31-2010, 10:39 PM
They looked into paperwork that far back? That sucks. Sounds like it was a great place. Sounds like they were looking to ding them one way or another.

plan-b
07-31-2010, 10:48 PM
Wow, I bought my first two guns from them. Wasn't really that long ago in the grand scheme of things. I actually thought they'd closed up shop completely after the FFL fiasco. Never really found a factual account of what happened though.

SJgunguy24
07-31-2010, 10:54 PM
Wow, I bought my first two guns from them. Wasn't really that long ago in the grand scheme of things. I actually thought they'd closed up shop completely after the FFL fiasco. Never really found a factual account of what happened though.

Baby mama drama.

Lots of stuff was getting traced back to that FFL. It was a cool shop but I was turned off on my first visit.
I wanted a Glock 21 and the salesman told me I wanted the HS2000. I never bought a gun from them, the guy wouldn't even get a G21 out for me to look at.

aklon
07-31-2010, 10:58 PM
They looked into paperwork that far back? That sucks. Sounds like it was a great place. Sounds like they were looking to ding them one way or another.

The City and County of San Francisco, aided IIRC by our friends at LCAV, filed suit against Trader's and spent from 1999 to 2003 looking through old paperwork and procedures to see if they could find anything. The court let them have whatever they wanted as long as they didn't copy anything, and they had so much ppwk on had that they rented an office from the owner of Trader's just to keep it in.

In the end, Trader's signed a meaningless pledge not to let anyone break the law when buying guns, the City wound up with nothing, and the suit went away.

aklon
07-31-2010, 11:01 PM
Lots of stuff was getting traced back to that FFL.

That's because Trader's was also a major wholesaler here in CA and every FFL around as buying from them. That being the case, it is no surprise that stuff would trace back to them.

CalNRA
08-01-2010, 2:29 AM
That's because Trader's was also a major wholesaler here in CA and every FFL around as buying from them. That being the case, it is no surprise that stuff would trace back to them.

Yep.

Also keep in mind that Trader's was in San Leandro with a long history of, well, tensions, a city which the politicos are determined to turn it into an Oakland Annex.

It's an impossible dillema, if they refused sale to every shady buyer then they would be tarred and feathered as racists trying to keep minorities down.

If they sold to people as long as they don't think a straw purchase took place, they instantly became the Merchant of Death out to kill urban youths. Granted some legally unkosher stuff may have happened but people like Feinstein were out for blood from Traders.

I stopped by Traders as much as time and money allowed as the people there are just great to talk to.

RIP Traders.

WWDHD?
08-02-2010, 12:41 AM
It really sucked how the state, county and city all ganged up on Traders. After they lost their FFL I was suprised they stayed open as long as they did.
I remember they would run big ads in the SF Chronicle sports section advertising ammo and firearms on sale. you'll probably never see anything like that again in the Chron.
I bought my NIB stainless Beretta 96 there for $500 in the late 90's. Killer deal.
They also used to have another store a few doors down that sold safes. Bought a Canon safe there and still have it.
Thats all E 14th street needs is another vacant storefront. A few less jobs and less business taxes for the great city of San Leandro (aka Oakland Jr.)

beaster
08-02-2010, 7:03 AM
My company had an HVAC maintenance contract with Traders that was on my route for a while. I would climb around their rooftops and then peruse the store for a bit before I left, picking up a few things here and there. Too bad they had stopped selling weapons before that time, the people there always seemed very nice.

gadjeep
08-02-2010, 8:45 AM
That's crazy! I was just there a week ago buying some powder and talking to the guys about the future and they never mentioned anything about closing. Bummer.

jdberger
08-02-2010, 9:13 AM
Crap.

There goes another one.

It's a great location for a pawnshop/gunstore, though. Who's in?

scotthmt
08-02-2010, 11:51 AM
The owner of traders, tony, lives across the street from me, literally across the street. I see him from time to time, but havent seen him much recently now that i think about it. In 06, they pulled his sons FFL, they had already pulled his FFL years prior. Him and his wife are nice enough people, I had also heard something about guns found in the posession of the IRA being traced back to them? crazy.

owenriquez
08-02-2010, 12:36 PM
BOUGHT MY 1ST AR FROM MARK CUCCIARA, MY AMMOS AND ACCESSORIES... ALWAYS NICE TO SEE TONY AND MARK WAVING HELLO TO ME EVERY TIME I'M THERE.:no:

CalNRA
08-02-2010, 12:42 PM
That's crazy! I was just there a week ago buying some powder and talking to the guys about the future and they never mentioned anything about closing. Bummer.

same here. I was there a few weeks back getting some ammo and they didn't say anything. But the store was dead quiet every time I went in. They were my go-to people for ammo but it seemed no one knew they were still hanging on.

ElCUBANO
08-02-2010, 5:35 PM
I bought my Cannon safe from Traders got a great deal. Recently I was buying reloading supplies from them. They will be missed.

Mikeb
08-02-2010, 6:08 PM
sorry to hear this.
Mike

Saigon1965
08-02-2010, 8:43 PM
RIP Traders -

thedrickel
08-02-2010, 9:04 PM
Group buy?

Centurion_D
08-02-2010, 10:05 PM
I can remember buying my first gun from them. A Sig P226. Man those were the good ole days.

glocklover
08-03-2010, 12:06 PM
I read about traders a long time ago, and it was some insane amount of guns that were un-accounted for, but this is what I found, and it does site sources, traders doesn't seem that clean to me:

http://www.bradycenter.org/xshare/pdf/reports/trading-in-death.pdf

In 2003, ATF cited Trader Sports for massive violations of federal law, includingfailing to account for at least 1,723 guns reported as acquired by Trader Sports but missing from its inventory.21

ATF also, in 2003, uncovered numerous other violations of federal law by Trader Sports, including illegal sales of semi-automatic assault weapons with highcapacity magazines, selling guns to purchasers who identified themselves as under indictment for a felony or who failed to state on a federal firearms purchase form whether they were a fugitive from justice, and failing to properly respond tolaw enforcement attempts to trace crime guns that originated from the gun shop.22

I will say, that if a person lawfully purchases and firearm, then goes on a shooting spree or commits a crime with it, In my opinion, it's not the seller's problem. If the FFL does what they're suppose to do, then that's all they can do. People kill people, guns don't kill people.

BroncoBob
08-03-2010, 7:39 PM
Bought a lot of firearms from Tony and his sales force over years, I remember the line being 3 people deep buying firearms back in the late 80's. It was a crazy scene in that store. Wonder what ever happened to Kenny the long haired biker?

wilit
08-03-2010, 7:49 PM
That sucks. I like Lance, he's a real cool dude. I wish I had known they were closing, I would have bought one of the reloading presses they had in there.

Farquaad
08-03-2010, 8:42 PM
1,723 guns is a hell of an accounting error. :cool:

swerv512
08-03-2010, 8:45 PM
^^^
maybe it was 1.723 guns missing...:rolleyes:

sytfu_RR
08-03-2010, 8:55 PM
dam that sucks, their prices were high, but they did give deals if you asked. My friends and I bought many items from their store and the staff was always friendly. They'll be missed.

neuron
08-03-2010, 8:57 PM
RIP Trader's...Siegles and Traders and the Old West Gun Room were where I'd
purchases guns and ammo since the early 1970's, and two of them have bit the dust. Very sad...:(

xsquid
08-03-2010, 9:06 PM
I can remember buying my first gun from them. A Sig P226. Man those were the good ole days.

Funny that the first gun I bought when I moved to the bay area was also a P226 bought from Traders. I remember right before the CA AWB how hectic it was in there. They also had an SP89 hanging from a nail for $1800 and was going to pull the trigger on it but a friend that I was with talked me out of it:(

joedogboy
08-03-2010, 9:27 PM
While the store used to have a good selection and some nicely priced guns when I shopped there in the early 90s, there was a certain seedy element among the customers.

eville
08-03-2010, 9:42 PM
I had a weird experience there.
I bought an hk 9. About 18 months later I get a call from traders asking if I bought an hk serial number xxxx. I reluctantly answer yes... Then she goes on to tell me they have no record of that gun in there system and was I willing to come trade it in on a new model. I went in and got a newer model two extra mags and a case.
I still miss that place.

aklon
08-03-2010, 10:23 PM

It really wasn't that bad. After they did a re-file, they "found" most of the records; the majority of those that were left were simple paperwork errors (i.e.: writing "Y" instead of "yes") and in the end, there were only 146 questionable records.

That was all that was needed, and the FFL was gone.

(As a matter of interest, I was practically the last person to DROS a revolver out of Trader's. This was after the FFL had been pulled and pending purchases were reviewed and re-approved, so I got my Ruger New Vaquero when I came back from Italy - what better way to spend the DROS period? - under the watchful eye of the BATF.)

aklon
08-03-2010, 10:25 PM
I read about traders a long time ago, and it was some insane amount of guns that were un-accounted for, but this is what I found, and it does site sources, traders doesn't seem that clean to me:

http://www.bradycenter.org/xshare/pdf/reports/trading-in-death.pdf

You will note this comes from the gentle folk at Brady, hardly the place to find accurate, unbiased information about the largest and most successful firearms dealer in Northern California. What Brady doesn't tell you was outlined in my previous post.

CalNRA
08-03-2010, 10:34 PM
It really wasn't that bad. After they did a re-file, they "found" most of the records; the majority of those that were left were simple paperwork errors (i.e.: writing "Y" instead of "yes") and in the end, there were only 146 questionable records.

That was all that was needed, and the FFL was gone.

yep.

The Brady's had it out for traders so with the pro-constitution people of the BATFE, magically simple clerical un-conformaties(ya know, the unintentional kind that the later federal dealer protection bill specified) became grave offenses.

They would even count writing "CA" instead of "California" as an error. to the point where when I DROSed a gun closer to their FFL being robbed I got yelled at for writing in "CA". Those who have ever bought a gun after 68 who filled out the 4473 would recall how small the space for the "state" is.:rolleyes:

CalNRA
08-03-2010, 10:39 PM
While the store used to have a good selection and some nicely priced guns when I shopped there in the early 90s, there was a certain seedy element among the customers.
Being next Oakland which had virtually no gun shops left (in the 90s, none today) that's how antis create these death zones for gun shops.

Steyr_223
08-03-2010, 10:55 PM
I spent my first pay check there in 1982, got a Colt AR-15 SP1. Tony help me with the sale..My last purchase was a CZ 75BD, Tony's son help me with the sale, this was like in 2003..

Lots of good deals over the years..200rd ammo cans of Australian 308 for $36.95..

swat
08-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Traders is/was located adjacent to East Oakland, so a lot of the firearms that were used in Oakland crimes traced back to Traders. I use to patronize the store when I lived in the area and I got some good deals from the shop. Some of the employees were questionable as I remember hearing a clerk trying to sell S&W 38 chiefs special to some little old lady and telling her that the gun was little used because it came from a PD dispatcher who had the gun issued to her by the chief of police "lol". They also did engage in some blatant straw sale activity. That being said I am sad to hear of their demise. They also had a large international firearms sale market. I believe some of the unaccounted firearms were bound for the Phillipines during the turmoil of 80's and 90's.

Does anyone remember Siegels Guns on W. Macarthur? That was a real tragic situation as they were driven out of business by the City of Oakland. Siegels didn't engage in the straw sale stuff like Traders, and could account for all of their firearm inventory and sales.

Is the San Francisco Gun Exchange still in business?

"It's an impossible dillema, if they refused sale to every shady buyer then they would be tarred and feathered as racists trying to keep minorities down." Hmmm, I've never heard that argument before.

aklon
08-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Does anyone remember Siegels Guns on W. Macarthur? That was a real tragic situation as they were driven out of business by the City of Oakland. Siegels didn't engage in the straw sale stuff like Traders, and could account for all of their firearm inventory and sales.

Is the San Francisco Gun Exchange still in business?

I remember Siegels. The City of Oakland passed a tax on ammunition and firearms designed to put Seigels' out of business; i.e.: if you sell just one bullet, EVERYTHING in the store is taxed at a 30% higher rate than other businesses. We ,arranged a meeting for Maura (she was running it after Jim died) with a high-powered tax attorney who had a way she could minimize these taxes and not affect the business. But no, Maura was stuck in the "oh poor me what shall I do I wish Jim hadn't died" mode and blew off every oopportunity we sent her way for some free help. In the end, it was easier for her to sell the property and shut down than actually fight for the business. Besides, she loved the martyr complex she had going.

I was there when SF Gun Exchange closed after years of harrassment by the City and County of San Francisco. As I walked out the door, John Sasaki of Channel 2 wanted to interview me and I told him I had no interest in taking part in his "gloat piece." In fact, no gun owners were interested in talking to him.

joedogboy
08-04-2010, 4:08 PM
Being next Oakland which had virtually no gun shops left (in the 90s, none today) that's how antis create these death zones for gun shops.

Siegle's was in a much crappier neighborhood, but didn't have the same "drug dealer"/"gangsta" vibe from their customers.

It is sad that Trader's, Siegle's and other landmark shops like SF Gun Exchange were driven out of business.

Centurion_D
08-04-2010, 5:03 PM
Funny that the first gun I bought when I moved to the bay area was also a P226 bought from Traders. I remember right before the CA AWB how hectic it was in there. They also had an SP89 hanging from a nail for $1800 and was going to pull the trigger on it but a friend that I was with talked me out of it:(

Yea I remember right after that crazy dude Purdy hosed down all those kids with a semi auto AK and the ban was being voted on the line at traders was insane. Everyone was buying what ever they could get their hands on. It was pandemonium. That's where I bought my Colt Sporter Target model. I also remember buying my second Colt (Lightweight Sporter) from the cow palace gun show a few months later. Definitely some crazy days those were.

pieeater
08-04-2010, 7:06 PM
Yea I remember right after that crazy dude Purdy hosed down all those kids with a semi auto AK and the ban was being voted on the line at traders was insane. Everyone was buying what ever they could get their hands on. It was pandemonium. That's where I bought my Colt Sporter Target model. I also remember buying my second Colt (Lightweight Sporter) from the cow palace gun show a few months later. Definitely some crazy days those were.

I remember buying a coltsporter target from traders then buying a lightweight from cowpalace also. Got the one at the cowpalace from Brothers in arms. Big guy was had ffl out of his house in fremont.

den888
08-04-2010, 7:16 PM
Visited Trader's a lot when I lived in Northern Cal. Sorry to hear that they have closed.

Centurion_D
08-04-2010, 8:43 PM
I remember buying a coltsporter target from traders then buying a lightweight from cowpalace also. Got the one at the cowpalace from Brothers in arms. Big guy was had ffl out of his house in fremont.

I got my lightweight from Sonoma Firearms. I believe they're still in business. I think the last time I went the cow palace gun show they were there.

aGunForEachHand
08-05-2010, 6:15 AM
Enjoyed that store, even though I never got to see it when they sold firearms! Too bad to see another one go!

Slamer
08-05-2010, 6:19 PM
Ditto ...I always looked forward to their ads in the SF chronicle.

G-Man WC
08-05-2010, 6:44 PM
Back in the day, three customers deep at the counter, you couldn't get handed anything unless you were ready to buy when you got to the front of the line.
Some good guys worked there, but there were more *ss clown salesmen with attitude.
I'll loose no sleep over this. Looking forward to City Arms opening in P.Hill -g
:nopity:

creampuff
09-08-2010, 2:38 PM
Necro posting sort of...
I didn't realized they had closed their doors. Drove over there to pick up some ammo. They use to sell 500 rounds of 9mm + 50 cal ammo can for $135. Not a great deal, but not a bad one either.

Sad seeing everything dark and closed up. I noticed on their website:

http://www.tradersports.com/index.html

That they are looking to relocate. Hopefully they will find a place in the East Bay.

creampuff
12-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Just dropped by their location today in Castro Valley. Good to see them open up again. Prices won't be as good as online prices of course, but not bad for a brick and mortar store. Considering we don't have a Walmart in the Bay Areas that sells ammo, I thought $139 for 500 rounds of Independence 9mm + 5.56 ammo can was actually pretty reasonable.

blakdawg
12-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Just dropped by their location today in Castro Valley. Good to see them open up again. Prices won't be as good as online prices of course, but not bad for a brick and mortar store. Considering we don't have a Walmart in the Bay Areas that sells ammo, I thought $139 for 500 rounds of Independence 9mm + 5.56 ammo can was actually pretty reasonable.

The Walmart in Milpitas sells ammo - bought some there a week ago, and they had plenty of .22LR, 9mm, and .40 S&W. Not much .45 ACP.

WWDHD?
12-09-2010, 8:20 PM
At the risk of being ridiculed from one end of the web to the other, I'll ask: Traders is reopened in Castro Valley? Where? when did this happen and how?

Saigon1965
12-09-2010, 8:23 PM
On the BLVD somewhere - About 3-4 weeks ago - No guns though - Just another sporting goods store -

WWDHD?
12-09-2010, 8:28 PM
Very interesting. I'll have to check them out. Same family? Suprised CV would let them open shop with their "Outlaw" status in the county.

Saigon1965
12-09-2010, 8:39 PM
I believe from the chit chat here that Mark C owns it - Remember CV is un-incorporated -

ebencikiv
12-09-2010, 8:44 PM
Trader Sports, Inc.
3169 - A Castro Valley Blvd., Castro Valley CA 94545

Steyr_223
12-09-2010, 8:44 PM
Mark C is cool. Got a good deal on a CZ 75BD and Sig 239from him back when theye still had a FFL. I am pretty sure it was Tony C that sold me my first AR-15 when I turned 18.

chickenfried
12-09-2010, 8:49 PM
Not the best in service or atmosphere. But I always looked forward to their sale ads. Should've grabbed a PSS.

joepamjohn
12-09-2010, 8:54 PM

I think it was atleast that many guns that were unaccounted for. In a business where paperwork is highly scrutinized by the feds you just can't make that many errors and expect to end up ok. This has nothing to do with anyone "ganging up on them", they did it to themselves.

SoCal Bob
12-09-2010, 9:06 PM
They posted this in the new member check in area.

Traders Sporting Goods
This is my Just wanted everyone to know that Traders Sporting Goods of San Leandro has moved to 3169 Castro Valley Blvd, Castro Valley. Not selling firearms, but just about everything else you might need for them. Call Mark at 510 727-9446