PDA

View Full Version : Night Hunting For Hogs

Tminor
07-31-2010, 9:07 PM
A while back someone published the exemption to night hunting hogs. It had to do with being done with the interest of the land owner. Could someone please advise on what that code was that allows hunters to hunt hogs at night on private land. Or maybe I totally remember the thread wrong.

Thanks!

bigboarstopper
07-31-2010, 9:32 PM
It was my post. Senate bill 329. It is a kind of depredation where if hogs are encountered causing damage or threating to cause damage to agriculture and things of that nature they can be killed by the property owner, employee or agent of the property 24 hours a day with out the need for hunting licence or tags. This is a very basic description of this senate bill and if you believe this law possibly applies to the problem with hogs that you are having I would suggest you look into this law and understant it front to back. Wardens are often not educated as to how this bill applies and recieving a citation while using it is common. Not following this law to the letter or making statements that contradict the laws intent to a warden can seal a conviction for illegal take. If finding a loophole so that you can just hunt at night is your intention be prepared to see a judge.

spectr17
07-31-2010, 9:43 PM
BBS and some DFG folks discussed this in this thread awhile back on our forum. Thanks BBS for clearing all that up.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/leos-fire-corrections-game-wardens/196590-can-california-dfg-guy-explain.html

Tminor
08-01-2010, 11:53 AM
my intention is not to go running around the mountain at night. there is a problem on some land and i am looking for a solution. im not looking for loophole or to go to jail. my intention was to seek information about hunting at night. although i am a "junior" member on calguns, that doesnt mean this is my first rodeo.

lewdogg21
08-01-2010, 3:35 PM
For the OP I didn't see anyone talking down to you in their post. Just people trying to help.

bigboarstopper
08-01-2010, 6:44 PM
The usual way to go about killing problem hogs is by calling DFG in regards to getting a depredation permit. The warden will come to the property and do an assesment. If he issues a depredation permit you will be allowed to do what ever is specifically written on the permit. Nothing outside of what is specifically written. Often times the warden will refer the property owner to a professional trapper due to the probability of niighboring property owners being too close to shoot. Call DFG would be my suggestion

Im sorry if you feel offended by my responce. Your originial post was very vague and your motives were very unclear. I simply covered all the bases in my responce.

Abesnake
08-01-2010, 8:42 PM
my intention is not to go running around the mountain at night. there is a problem on some land and i am looking for a solution. im not looking for loophole or to go to jail. my intention was to seek information about hunting at night. although i am a "junior" member on calguns, that doesnt mean this is my first rodeo.

Why not just have a landowner permission slip signed get a license and tag(s) and avoid DFG if your not going out at night anyway. Sounds like you might enjoy it more and you can keep the bounty. :cheers2: :gun_bandana:

acourvil
08-02-2010, 7:16 PM
And I'm sure that you could find several people on the forum that live in or around San Jose that would be willing to go out and chase those hogs with you if desired :)

Shoot-it
08-02-2010, 7:37 PM
The warden I ran into in Snelling told me that senate law is being used wrong and they will site you.
That's what he told me.Don't take that chance it's not worth it.

bigboarstopper
08-02-2010, 7:50 PM
The warden I ran into in Snelling told me that senate law is being used wrong and they will site you.
That's what he told me.Don't take that chance it's not worth it.

In which way did the warden describe the misuse of the senate bill?

Shoot-it
08-02-2010, 8:06 PM
he said it is a contact law for farmers.If the farmer or employee is working and see a hog doing damage at night they can shoot them.The law is not for hunters to be running around at night with dogs.

That was his words.I talked to him about some one that is suing dfg about how they are handling this law he gave me a name of the guy.Jim? maybe I can't remember.

Bearclaw
08-03-2010, 11:07 AM
And I'm sure that you could find several people on the forum that live in or around San Jose that would be willing to go out and chase those hogs with you if desired :)

Yeah...I might know a guy.

Oh yeah...ME!!!!!!!

DeanW66
08-07-2010, 8:33 PM
Yeah...I might know a guy.

Oh yeah...ME!!!!!!!

+1 :D

a1c
08-07-2010, 9:48 PM
he said it is a contact law for farmers.If the farmer or employee is working and see a hog doing damage at night they can shoot them.The law is not for hunters to be running around at night with dogs.

That was his words.I talked to him about some one that is suing dfg about how they are handling this law he gave me a name of the guy.Jim? maybe I can't remember.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/pig/depredation.html