PDA

View Full Version : Gun in the car

GunOwner
07-31-2010, 10:03 PM
I have a locked metal box that I keep my unloaded gun with magazines (outside the weapon but in the same box) in on the way to the range. I believe that is legal - someone tell me if that is incorrect.

My question is this: If I am going to the range after work (or some other activity) and don't want to go all the way home to get my gun can I legally have my gun in my car on the way to work (or anywhere else I am going before the range) or can I only have it in the car between my house and the range.

Same question if I am going somewhere after the range do I have to beeline home first?

NiteQwill
07-31-2010, 10:07 PM
You're fine. Home, work, range, and anywhere in-between (minus all the restricted places like gov buildings, for example.).

Falstaff
07-31-2010, 10:08 PM
Good question. I'm wondering the same thing. I thought I had the perfect alternative "poor man's" CCW solution, ie; an unloaded pistol locked in a quick access Gun Vault with loaded magazines (not in the magwell). But others have posted penal code here which indicates you can only transport like this under certain conditions. (range trip, after purchase etc)

JagerTroop
07-31-2010, 10:09 PM
directly to and from range/shooting excursion only applies to RAW.

You're good.

Librarian
07-31-2010, 10:15 PM
See the transport (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transporting) article at the wiki.

Don Nguyen
08-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Is that handgun law the same as for rifles?

steadyrock
08-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Is that handgun law the same as for rifles?

No. 12026.1 describes "any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person". Since you can't conceal a long gun on your person, this law doesn't apply. The only transport law that I know of that applies to long guns is 12031, which covers carrying loaded firearms in public.

wash
08-09-2010, 10:57 AM
I see much of my life as what I do between visits to the range.

If the question ever comes up, I am headed to the range, maybe taking the scenic route.

paul0660
08-09-2010, 11:00 AM
If you are not a US citizen, you must have a destination per 12026.2. Citizens may keep a gun, properly stored, per 12026.1, unless otherwise prohibited, for instance military installations and game refuges.

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12026.1.html

Don Nguyen
08-09-2010, 11:03 AM
No. 12026.1 describes "any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person". Since you can't conceal a long gun on your person, this law doesn't apply. The only transport law that I know of that applies to long guns is 12031, which covers carrying loaded firearms in public.

Did some more quick reading. Does that mean I can carry my rifle in a hard case without the case needing to be locked. Magazines can be loaded, but not inserted into the gun/magwell. Is that correct?

-Don

paul0660
08-09-2010, 11:06 AM
That's right Don, unless you are in a school zone, in which the Federal GFSZ law requires long guns to be locked. The state law does not require such.

steadyrock
08-09-2010, 11:08 AM
That's right Don, unless you are in a school zone, in which the Federal GFSZ law requires long guns to be locked. The state law does not require such.

Thanks for pointing that out Paul, the GFSZ had slipped my mind. Wouldn't want someone to get in trouble because of that.

Don Nguyen
08-09-2010, 11:23 AM

I was reading some more (I should probably finish doing all of my reading before posting, but I rather be safe than sorry), is it still allowed to have your rifles locked up in cases all the time during transport? Also, do the guns even need to be in a case? Can I just have the rifle sitting in the back seat, as long as it's not hidden/covered up, right?

-Don

thevic
08-09-2010, 11:23 AM
i transport an M2 ontop of my truck and put a box around it when passing a gfsz

:)

SupraMiggs
08-09-2010, 1:41 PM
If you are not a US citizen, you must have a destination per 12026.2. Citizens may keep a gun, properly stored, per 12026.1, unless otherwise prohibited, for instance military installations and game refuges.

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12026.1.html

I was reading the PC section 12026.2 and it does not say there that if a person is NOT a US citizen, they MUST have a destination when transporting a firearm.

steadyrock
08-09-2010, 2:19 PM
I was reading the PC section 12026.2 and it does not say there that if a person is NOT a US citizen, they MUST have a destination when transporting a firearm.

He linked to 12026.1, which specifically pertains to US Citizens. So, if a person is a US Citizen, they get the liberal protections of 12026.1, namely (1) "... in a locked container ..." and (2) "... directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and ... in a locked container". If a person is not a US Citizen, 12026.1 does not apply and they go to the narrower scope of protections under 12026.2 which requires a specific destination.

I'm not a lawyer, but that's the way I read it.

OleCuss
08-09-2010, 2:27 PM
i transport an M2 ontop of my truck and put a box around it when passing a gfsz

:)

:83::rofl2:

Those who don't know what a Ma Deuce is really need to look it up!

That one may keep me sorta chuckling off and on all day. . .

SupraMiggs
08-09-2010, 2:47 PM
He linked to 12026.1, which specifically pertains to US Citizens. So, if a person is a US Citizen, they get the liberal protections of 12026.1, namely (1) "... in a locked container ..." and (2) "... directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and ... in a locked container". If a person is not a US Citizen, 12026.1 does not apply and they go to the narrower scope of protections under 12026.2 which requires a specific destination.

I respectfully disagree. I believe that 12026.1 not ONLY applies on US Citizens but also on Legal Residents.

steadyrock
08-09-2010, 2:55 PM
I respectfully disagree. I believe that 12026.1 not ONLY applies on US Citizens but also on Legal Residents.

Not wanting to argue, but how do you get there? It's pretty clear:

(a) Section 12025 shall not be construed to prohibit any
citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or
is temporarily within this state, and who is not prohibited by state
or federal law from possessing, receiving, owning, or purchasing a
firearm, from transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that
the following applies to the firearm:

It doesn't say anything about legal residency.

paul0660
08-09-2010, 3:01 PM
Don't worry about it Miggs, if anyone asks, you are going camping.