PDA

View Full Version : Is Gun Genie for real?

WWDHD?
07-31-2010, 8:36 PM
I'm trying to find out if anyone has used the Gun Genie on galleryofguns,com.
I've been searching around the net and I think I understand the business part of how it works. Mixed reviews from other forums. What I want to know is if anyone here has recently used it successfully to buy a firearm from a local dealer at the price given on the site.
Were they happy about you coming into their store with your printout to pay the balance? Prices seem to split the difference between Bud's+transfer and no tax and local shops regular high prices.

Anyone try this? Thanks.

ke6guj
07-31-2010, 8:45 PM
yes, Gun Genie is real.

The way Gun Genie works is that your local FFL signs up for it and uses Davidson's inventory as his "virtual inventory". He can sell anything that Davidson's has, without having to actually stock it. He sets up what profit margins he wants and if you buy something on Gun Genie, you are basically buying it from the FFL.

I've never had an issue with an FFL upset that I used Gun Genie to set up a purchase that the dealer profits on without having to deal with trading FFLs with some random dealer and then having to explain a $50-100 transfer fee.

mrkubota
07-31-2010, 9:15 PM
Yep... I used it a few months ago myself...
Very smooth transaction throughout. Kinda nice picking out what you want and having it show up at the dealer knowing exactly what you owe (saved me 50.00 off the bat) No muss, no fuss...

DippyPower
07-31-2010, 9:22 PM
I have used it twice with no problem. My most recent purchase was my Mossberg about 2 months ago. What the dealer lists on the site should be the price you pay out the door, if it is not find a different dealer. You pick the gun you want from the site pay a deposit and Davidson's sends it to your preferred FFL. When it gets to the FFL they call you to tell you it is in, assuming you have not been tracking it on FedEx's website, you go and pay the remainder and start DROS.

Smith & Wesson and other manufacturers link directly to the site so they must be doing something right.

ljdouglas
07-31-2010, 9:43 PM
Used it a couple of times using my local neighborhood FFL (West Coast Guns here in Redondo). Works as advertised and a kind of nifty way to shop.

DippyPower
07-31-2010, 10:27 PM
As for a dealer minding you showing u with your printout why should they care. I would think that they would love the system because it keeps down their inventory costs. With the gallery of guns system they have a gun come in that already has a buyer coming in to pay for it.

twotap
07-31-2010, 10:33 PM
Smooth as butter .
Everyones happy

wrightb
08-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Ive bought 2 guns from the Gallery, both shipped same day and were received at my FFL to begin DROS 24 hours later. Might be luck, but it's convinced me.

Spiggy
08-01-2010, 2:30 AM
I've used it a bunch of times to purchase. On occasion, I've gotten certain retailers to match or beat prices as well.

Mom and Pop setups get more money from their store inventory. But sometimes in attempt to get a more dollars (or return customers) they might give you a deal if you buy items or accessories from their store for your new purchase. It's a good way to get a "package" deal.

Rukus
08-01-2010, 8:21 AM
I had one of the easiest gun transactions ever through gun genie.

Fjold
08-01-2010, 9:15 AM
Davidson's used to include a lifetime warranty on all guns purchased through them also.

fishhoppa
08-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Is the price on the printout / screen the total out-the-door price? or will the gunshop charge you an additional $25 for the DROS?

thanks!

Ron-Solo
08-01-2010, 10:27 PM
I've used it twice thru Bright Spot Pawn in Riverside and was very happy. On one of the purchases, they even discounted some of the fees calcualted by Gun Genie since it was a multiple purchase.

Great set up.

ke6guj
08-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Is the price on the printout / screen the total out-the-door price? or will the gunshop charge you an additional $25 for the DROS?

thanks!it should be an out-the-door price. The DROS should be included in that. IIRC, davidson's has asked that people let them know if the dealer tacks on extra fees when you go to pick it up, because they aren't supposed to.

And then you get guys like BSP who will discount you the DROS fees if you do a multiple purchase. Good job BSP!

wrightb
08-01-2010, 10:53 PM

thanks!

Its the out the door price, usually, but call in advance to be sure. There is one place near me that charges extra for shipping, even though that is calculated into the Gallery of guns price. Needless to say, very few people order through them.

WoodrowShootist
08-01-2010, 11:00 PM
they don't do the life time warranty anymore? that was a super cool perk... but +1 for davidsons. i bought a glock through them once and it ended up $100 cheaper otd than turners otd price. i asked if they'd price match and showed them the print out and they said there's no way they could touch it. prices are so low. use em, it's fantastic

ZirconJohn
08-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Davidson's used to include provides a lifetime warranty GuaranteeD Lifetime Replacement Warranty on all guns purchased through them [also].

With all due respect... Davidson's still includes a GuaranteeD 'Lifetime' Replacement Warranty...

Yes... Gun Genie is for real.

In three years I have been inbusiness; I have had two (2) Davidson's Warranty replacements. The transaction is smooth, non confrontational, very little question, bing-bang-boom... both deals were just that simple. Left me standing there on the phone with vendor... "uh-duhhh... you mean that's it...!?!"

Davidson's Gun Genie is +1000 - THE BEST...!!! :thumbsup:

Link; http://www.galleryofguns.com/about/terms.aspx

Copy/Paste from above link;

DAVIDSON'S GUARANTEEDSM LIFETIME REPLACEMENT At Davidson's, your satisfaction is our commitment. In fact, our commitment is so strong, that we have put together the only GuaranteeDSM Lifetime Replacement Warranty available in the firearms industry.

It works like this......

If anything ever goes wrong with any gun you buy with the Davidson's GuaranteeDSM Lifetime Replacement Warranty, it will be replaced. If no replacement is available, it will be repaired at no charge to you. Simple, just return it to the GuaranteeDSM retailer where you purchased it, pay for the return shipping and upon receipt Davidson's will ship you * BRAND NEW GUN.

So make sure every firearm you purchase works for you.
Ask for the GuaranteeDSM Lifetime Replacement Warranty.

Warranty Registration

Limited Warranty Terms and Conditions Davidson's Supply Company warrants to you that if any gun sold by Davidson's ever becomes defective, Davidson's will replace the gun at no charge, subject to the following conditions. This warranty applies only if Davidson's Supply Company sold the gun to the retailer from which you purchased it and extends only to the original purchaser from the retailer. In order to be eligible for warranty coverage, the original purchaser must complete the warranty registration online or return the warranty registration card to Davidson's Supply Company, at the address shown below, within 30 days from date of purchase. If no replacement is available, we will repair the original or offer you a similar model (to be determined at our discretion) free of charge. This warranty extends to any and all parts of the gun as originally sold by us, but does not extend to guns altered or rebuilt after their original purchase, or guns used other than for their legal intended purposes. DAVIDSON'S LIABILITY FOR BREACH OF ANY WARRANTY SHALL BE LIMITED TO REPLACING OR REPAIRING THE NONPERFORMING OR DEFECTIVE GOODS (TO BE DETERMINED AT OUR DISCRETION). WE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, EITHER DIRECT, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above exclusion may not apply to you. To obtain performance under this warranty, you must return the product to the retailer from which you purchased the product and pay the cost of shipping the product to Davidson's. If the retailer is no longer in business, you may contact another Retailer Near You or us directly at Davidson's Supply Company, 6100 Wilkinson Drive, Prescott, Arizona 86301, 928-776-8055. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state.

* BRAND NEW GUN:
Davidson's will ship your replacement firearm the very next business day for all in stock items. You are only responsible for return shipping costs to us (ie: getting the firearm to Davidson's through your retailer we do not accept shipments directly from end consumers.) Handguns are shipped out for next day delivery while long guns are typically received by your dealer within 3-4 days of shipping. If we do not have a replacement or you elect to get the same repaired firearm back, your firearm will be sent to the factory or an authorized warranty station for repair. If your firearm is repaired, the time frame until we return your firearm will be longer. Your dealer must have a valid FFL with original signature on file for us to ship and a current account with Davidson's.

Plisk
08-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Davidson is our primary distributor, and several of our customers have done the ordering themselves from them and shipped it through us.

It is for real, and is good to go.

Knauga
08-02-2010, 12:01 AM
A buddy of mine had a problem with one of the Davidson's dealer tacking on extra fees not included in the quote he accepted. He let Davidson's know, they apologized and asked him which dealer they should send his gun to at the original quoted price.

Davidson's is stand up. If you have a dealer that tries to tack on other fees not included in the original quote, back off and notify Davidson's, if they keep it up, they are likely to end up no longer being a Davidson's dealer. The only issue I had with them is that they will sometimes block handguns to California that are on-list guns.

WWDHD?
08-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Wow. Not one bad experience or problem with gun genie. I'm thinking about buying a new toy latter next month so I'm really thinking about trying this. I can't believe I didn't read about them on this board before.
One price quote I got while playing with this site was from a shop that always seemed to have very high prices whenever I went in there to look around but they were the lowest bid through gun genie. Strange.

Cyc Wid It
08-02-2010, 1:25 AM
Anybody know how well it works for items that aren't in stock? Any faster order time perhaps?

wrdavis
08-02-2010, 5:46 AM
When I looked for a Taurus PT-145 in polymer & stainless, I find a note saying that gun is restricted for Calif. What Davidson's shows for CA is the same one with a dash CA at the end of the model. When I look on the roster of handguns certified for sale in CA, I see both the PT-145 expiring 12/8/2010 and the PT-145-CA expiring 9/3/2010. When I look at the Taurus website, the PT-145-CA is not listed at all.

Davidson has no stock of the PT-145-CA in polymer & stainless and I put myself on the stock watch for it. But, I'm wondering if the PT-145-CA is in fact discontinued by Taurus, since the PT-145 is now certified for sale in CA. If so, is it possible to buy the PT-145 in Calif from Davidson?

Tanner68
08-02-2010, 7:03 AM
I've used gun genie a few times, and it has always been as straight forward as promised. The final out-the-door price is the one quoted on the website. There are no more fees when you get to your FFL. Check a couple FFLs, as you will get different quotes for the same gun.

toby
08-02-2010, 7:03 AM
I got a Weatherby three months ago and all was great easy and I'll continue to buy through them . My receipt states I have the lifetime warranty?......:shrug:

ZirconJohn
08-02-2010, 7:07 AM
A buddy of mine had a problem with one of the Davidson's dealer tacking on extra fees not included in the quote he accepted. He let Davidson's know, they apologized and asked him which dealer they should send his gun to at the original quoted price.

Davidson's is stand up. If you have a dealer that tries to tack on other fees not included in the original quote, back off and notify Davidson's, if they keep it up, they are likely to end up no longer being a Davidson's dealer. The only issue I had with them is that they will sometimes block handguns to California that are on-list guns.

I had one occasion in three years Davidson's blocked a sale of handgun to
CA... quick phone call, review the [rediculous] CA Roster and same handgun
released the same day.
You don't like the CA Roster, I don't like [I despise] the CA Roster and I
assure you Davidson's doesn't like the CA Roster. Simply make the phone call
and problem squashed!
Note: If a CA legal gun is blocked by Davidson's, and you do not point that
out to the GREAT people of Davidson's... instead blame Davidson's and walk
away from the purchase... you are only doing what gun grabbing politicians
want you to do.

Lex
08-02-2010, 7:21 AM
i havent use it yet but i recommended to my brother and he got a Glock from it. It was flawlessly smooth. He also saved some money too. It is a really good way for local gun dealers to make money. No inventory/investment but yet still make money with sales. I guess it would be good way to make money for a FFL holder without a shop.

RipVanWinkle
08-02-2010, 2:16 PM
I used Davidson's Gun Genie to make a purchase in March. Everything went very smoothly and they shipped to the FFL very quickly. A relative of mine on the East Coast is an FFL and he uses Davidson's.

When you click to get quotes using Gun Genie you will get a list of FFLs, each of which will show numbers like this:

SALE PRICE $249.99
Addit’l Fees $45.95
TAX $20.62
Subtotal $316.56
DEPOSIT ($69.25)
Balance Due $247.31

The Subtotal, $316.56, is what the whole thing is going to cost you. $69.25 paid to Davidson's when you order plus $247.31 paid to the FFL when you pick up the gun. Tax, shipping, DROS and everything else is included in the $316.56.

The particular numbers above are for a plain vanilla 10/22 for one local dealer using Gun Genie. It turned out that the local Big 5 would beat that price by $57 ($249.00 out the door), but the different gun I bought in March was significantly less expensive through Davidson's than anywhere else on-line or locally, so it's always worth checking Gun Genie.

Spiggy
08-02-2010, 4:28 PM
Davidson is our primary distributor, and several of our customers have done the ordering themselves from them and shipped it through us.

It is for real, and is good to go.

Ade was real good with Davidson's orders. I got a few through him.

PolishMike
08-02-2010, 4:31 PM
Please call the dealer first. A lot of time we can beat the prices on there with a LOT less hassle.

Mike

toby
08-02-2010, 4:36 PM
Did I mention I got my gun in two day's on the first day I went and started DROS.

sholling
08-02-2010, 4:47 PM
Gun Genie is legit but you have to shop well and double check their dealers. I had one try to tack on a $100 fee on top of the quoted prices fees and taxes. Davidsons dropped him.

What you need to do is shop the bid a bit. For example all of the dealers in my area are sky high. I have to set it to search further out to get good prices. But the bottom line is Bud's is usually cheaper. Davidsons ships much faster, but Bud's is usually cheaper.

rodent.22
08-02-2010, 4:47 PM
my 3 local dealers all give a breakdown of costs associated with buying a gun thru Gun Genie. My Colt/Umarex .22 OPS came thru my local dealer from Gun Genie. 2 day shipping, my on-line deposit came to the selling dealer in the form of a check with the gun. I paid the difference and the transfer fee and sales tax. Gone home in 15 minutes....Very trouble-free way to purchase a gun....

WWDHD?
08-03-2010, 12:23 AM
How bout if people name the shops that honored the Gun Genie price without any problems or taking on any extra $$$. Especially any in the SF bay area.
I know I've read Dom's in Livermore a few times on this thread as being good to deal with through Gun Genie. Any others?

RipVanWinkle
08-03-2010, 6:42 AM
How bout if people name the shops that honored the Gun Genie price without any problems or taking on any extra $$$. Especially any in the SF bay area.
I know I've read Dom's in Livermore a few times on this thread as being good to deal with through Gun Genie. Any others?

My purchase was through Andreotti (sp?) in Castro Valley, but I notice he doesn't pop up among the dealers when I use Gun Genie this morning.

Talking to my FFL relative, he says that you have to do a certain amount of volume to get on Davidson's Gun Genie recommended list, and the more you sell, the lower their price to you, the FFL. He would like to get to that level, but he's not there yet.

My impression is that Davidson's has figured out how to make on-line transactions really work smoothly; so you know exactly what your cost will be, when things are going to happen, and they ride herd on their Gun Genie FFLs to make sure that the transactions happen according to plan.

BTW, Davidson's has a promo going on now with $100 cash back on all Remington 700 series rifles, $50 mail-in rebate on any J-frame S&W .38 or .357 revolver, and cash back on a lot of Marlin and Thompson/Center rifles and shotguns. And no, I'm not pimping for Davidson's: for all I know there are better deals to be had elsewhere. It never hurts to check with your local dealer once you have something specific in mind.;)