PDA

View Full Version : Wedding photographer in Italy shot dead after asking ........

phkk
07-31-2010, 9:12 PM
A WEDDING photographer in Italy was shot dead after one of the hunting rifles he asked the bride and groom to pose with accidentally went off.

He was shot in the head as former teenage sweethearts Valentina Anitra, 22, and Ignazio Licodia, 25, were having their photographs taken at the groom's parents' home in Sicily ahead of the wedding.
Following the accident, which occurred over the weekend, the couple called off the wedding ceremony.
"From what we have been able to establish, the photographer asked the parents of the bride and groom if they had any guns to use as props in a picture," Palermo police spokesman Colonel Teo Luzi said.
"One went off, hitting him in the head, killing him. We are trying to establish if the gun went off as it was being handled by the photographer.

"The firearms were legally held but they should all be kept safe and not be handled by people who are not used to them and have no experience."
Police were continuing to investigate the incident today and said the groom’s parents could be prosecuted as the death occurred on their property.
In southern Italy, and especially on the isle of Sicily, it is traditional for guns to be fired at special family events and also festivals.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/wedding-photographer-in-italy-shot-dead-after-asking-bride-groom-to-pose-with-guns/story-e6frfku0-1225897993442#ixzz0vKA08Qbj

xibunkrlilkidsx
07-31-2010, 9:31 PM
oops. grate way to start off the marriage..

sucks to hear about stupid accidents that could of probably been avoided.

sevensix2x51
07-31-2010, 9:35 PM
chamber check fail. thats why my kids will be drilled from the time they can walk to chamber check anytime a firearm is handed to them. if one of the people in the chain of custody did a chamber check, this would have been avoided.

yzernie
07-31-2010, 10:00 PM
No accident about it, a completely negligent act on someone's part that unfortunately took someone's life.

mean72nova
07-31-2010, 10:20 PM
you mean "great", but yes unfortunate

professorhard
07-31-2010, 10:26 PM
Natural selection

bsg
07-31-2010, 10:42 PM
i heard about this on the news and just shook my head.

norcal.xd
08-01-2010, 7:48 AM
guns are not toys.....if you want a prop buy a pos airsoft gun....they look hella real, and are idiot proof....

bruceflinch
08-01-2010, 8:07 AM
No excuse for negligence. Ruined a bunch of People's day....sad

evidens83
08-01-2010, 9:04 AM
Facepalm

Turbinator
08-01-2010, 10:06 AM
No accident about it, a completely negligent act on someone's part that unfortunately took someone's life.

Agreed, this was no accident. Makes me wonder if the photographer had firearms experience prior. Doesn't sound like it. Why would a non-gun person even think of using guns as props? I don't have a problem with it, I like the idea, but a non-gunner shouldn't even be working with firearms unless properly supervised and instructed. Sounds like even the bride and groom weren't properly educated on firearms handling. Granted, this was Italy, and I don't know what firearms knowledge is like over there, but come on, people...

Turby

WeekendWarrior
08-02-2010, 2:07 AM
guns are not toys.....if you want a prop buy a pos airsoft gun....they look hella real, and are idiot proof....

You would think they are idiot proof but I bet you somwhere out there is a guy who shot his own eye out while playing with his airsoft gun...:TFH:

Ed_Hazard
08-02-2010, 2:14 AM
Feel bad for the couple, how do you get married now and not remember that guy blowing his head off?

On a side note, wedding pics w/hunting rifles? Who knew they had rednecks in Italy. JK:D I dont see the appeal but hey if it floats your boat have at it.

Sam
08-02-2010, 8:03 AM
chamber check fail. thats why my kids will be drilled from the time they can walk to chamber check anytime a firearm is handed to them. if one of the people in the chain of custody did a chamber check, this would have been avoided.

In addition, someone had to have been pointing the gun in an unsafe direction, didn't act like it was loaded, and put their finger on the trigger when it wasn't safe to fire. The rules act as layers and there is no excuse.

yellowfin
08-02-2010, 8:37 AM
Darwin Award winner?

kapache
08-02-2010, 9:19 AM
What a way to start marriage life....lol

norcal.xd
08-02-2010, 9:49 AM
You would think they are idiot proof but I bet you somwhere out there is a guy who shot his own eye out while playing with his airsoft gun...:TFH:

nah, really i think you just watch too much Christmas carol.....lol (you'll shoot your eye out)

hbellew
08-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Even if the photographer had no prior firearms experience the person who owns that gun must have some. The owner should have cleared the firearm before handing it to anyone else.

This is so sad. This is the sort of event the antis run with and it is so simple to avoid. "sigh". My sympathies to everyone in attendance who's lives are irrevocably changed on what should have been a very happy day for all.

sd_shooter
08-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Agreed, this was no accident. Makes me wonder if the photographer had firearms experience prior. Doesn't sound like it. Why would a non-gun person even think of using guns as props? I don't have a problem with it, I like the idea, but a non-gunner shouldn't even be working with firearms unless properly supervised and instructed. Sounds like even the bride and groom weren't properly educated on firearms handling. Granted, this was Italy, and I don't know what firearms knowledge is like over there, but come on, people...

Turby

What are you guys talking about, "it was no accident." Of course it was an accident, it might as well be the dictionary definition:

–noun
an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap: automobile accidents.

Soldier415
08-02-2010, 1:14 PM
What are you guys talking about, "it was no accident." Of course it was an accident, it might as well be the dictionary definition:
It is negligent because the 4 rules of firearm safety were not followed.

If all the rules were followed, the gun would not have discharged.

Negligence is the case in 99% of unwanted firearm discharges, other than a mechanical defect (which is the 1%).

sd_shooter
08-02-2010, 1:33 PM
It is negligent because the 4 rules of firearm safety were not followed.

If all the rules were followed, the gun would not have discharged.

Negligence is the case in 99% of unwanted firearm discharges, other than a mechanical defect (which is the 1%).

Oh, so there are _no_ firearms accidents? I think it's just a matter of semantics. I'd say "99% of firearms accidents are due to negligence, the rest due to mechanical failure."

Would you say there are no automobile accidents? After all, they are all due to negligence if the following rules aren't followed:
1) Don't text while driving
2) Don't drink and drive
3) Don't drive when tired
4) Don't drive when on strong medication
5) Don't drive a car with mechanical problems
6) Don't talk on the phone while driving
7) Don't shave while driving
8) Don't apply makeup while driving
9) Don't read a newspaper while driving....

All of these rules are broken on a daily basis. In the end it's the same thing: whatever took place was someone's fault and they didn't mean to do it when they woke up that morning. An accident.

Ed_in_Sac
08-02-2010, 1:41 PM
And no one said the obvious: Marriage Starts out with a BANG!

rojocorsa
08-02-2010, 3:07 PM
WTF?

I can understand an old school .40 GLOCK Ka-boom, but something like this? Really, WTF? Who ever is responisble is f___ing stupid. That's all there is to it.

Honestly, I think that it doesn't matter whether the person responsible knew jack s___ about guns. Even the dumbest oxygen thief should be able to recognize that guns can kill people. It doesn't take much at all to reach that conclusion.

I'm all for posing with firearms. I love 'em! But is it so hard to ensure that the weapon is free of deadly projectiles?