PDA

View Full Version : shotgun red dot sight-newbie needs advice!

FreedomMom
07-31-2010, 8:08 PM
(I posted a similar post on the shotgun forum as well....)

But, wanted to know more about red dot sights/optical sights (whatever the proper term is) for shotguns. I shot a guys at a local USPSA match for the first time today, it was well....AWESOME!!! :D and want to find more about it. My experience with shotguns has been trap/skeet with my pump remington 20g I've had since I was a kid. I've shot a few others, but don't have extensive experience in this area. I'm very curious about the set up the guy at the range had today.....sights, speed loaders.

Can you mount an optic/red dot sight on any shotgun? Can you also shoot trap/skeet with this (along with the USPSA matches)? Can you mount an auto loader metal feed ramp (for lack of a better term) on any shotgun? Do I need to spend a boatload of money on this, or is this a project I could put together with a reasonable budget? What are some quality brands you could recommend without spending an arm and a leg? What would a good shotgun for this application be?

so, basically-any input you could offer as to how to get started looking into this would be appreciated-since I know nothing!

Thanks!

randy
08-05-2010, 3:31 AM
I don't know of many shotgun only matches just 3 gun. If you want to shoot 3 gun matches in the limited division you are going to need a boat load of cash. If you want to hang optics on your shotgun for USPSA and shoot open you are going to need a much bigger boat.