PDA

View Full Version : How quick does the DROS denial/approv come back?

P7Collector
04-25-2006, 8:55 AM
Started the DROS yesterday, wanna call them back and see if it was approved, will they know yet?

rips31
04-25-2006, 8:56 AM
the nics check should be within a couple of hours. the kali part could take some time. my guess would be a couple of days?

bear308
04-25-2006, 9:07 AM
because of all the cali crap they look at the cali one takes a while, you won't get a straight answer until your wait is up and by then you could just go to the store and pick up the gun. No news is good news on this one.

P7Collector
04-25-2006, 9:12 AM
Got ya, well I guess I'll just wait. Had some thing taken off my record with DOJ, just want to make sure everything got taken care of and I can DROS legally now:)

EBWhite
04-25-2006, 9:43 AM
One day i was in gunrunners and i saw a huge huge stack of denial letters. Looks like they mail them over so im thinking 5 days after start of dros. Most letters say b/c of expired drivers license ....

rips31
04-25-2006, 10:01 AM
interesting. my ffls tell me that they'd call me if it got denied. pretty cool, tho, if you get a letter saying why.

bear308
04-25-2006, 10:02 AM
we always got calls or faxes for denials, but we were kind of a low volume dealer.

xenophobe
04-25-2006, 11:00 AM
A denial or hold... usually between 4-7 days. DOJ will call and also send out a letter. There have been a couple instances where they took longer, and on occassion they'll place a hold on someone until they can clear things up.

kantstudien
04-25-2006, 1:36 PM
You are not told that you are "approved." The dealer is notified if you are denied however. Many times, this will happen between days 11-30. :rolleyes:
Good Job DOJ! :rolleyes:

kantstudien
04-25-2006, 1:42 PM
One day i was in gunrunners and i saw a huge huge stack of denial letters....

They are not mailed, they were simply printed out by Gunrunners from the DOJ DROS website. Sounds like Gunrunnners caters to gang-banga wannabes or something if they had a huge stack. :eek:

ghostrider4evr
04-25-2006, 6:55 PM
i was denied once due to a discrepancy with my license. My FFL called me less than 24 hours after I DROS'd the firearm and said I would have to clear up the issue and then re-DROS.

edwardm
04-25-2006, 7:16 PM
the nics check should be within a couple of hours. the kali part could take some time. my guess would be a couple of days?

Uh. California is a NICS clearinghouse state, meaning (from what I can tell on the NICS site, and from calling CalDOJ today), that CA runs you, not NICS. CA does a state and a Federal check. No other agency gets involved for a normal DROS. Did I get bum info from the Firearms folks today?

CSkyhawk72
04-26-2006, 9:12 AM
I was told that you'd know within 24-48 hours.

.. does anybody here know if you'd be denied for failing to appear for jury duty? I'm not sure if stuff like that shows up on your background check...

rips31
04-26-2006, 3:09 PM
Uh. California is a NICS clearinghouse state, meaning (from what I can tell on the NICS site, and from calling CalDOJ today), that CA runs you, not NICS. CA does a state and a Federal check. No other agency gets involved for a normal DROS. Did I get bum info from the Firearms folks today?
according to the nics website, kali is a full-poc. meaning, kali runs its own version of nics that accesses the federal nics database. when you dros, your ffl contacts a kali agency (prob ca doj) who will access nics for your ffl, in addition to checking the kali database for anything you might have done in-state that does not show up (yet) on the federal nics. in most other states, ffl's contact the federal nics directly.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics.htm

so, your fed nics check will be known very soon. it's the digging thru the kali records that may take some time. at least, this is how i read the site and how my ffl explained the whole process to me.

MicronuT
04-26-2006, 6:46 PM
They are not mailed, they were simply printed out by Gunrunners from the DOJ DROS website. Sounds like Gunrunnners caters to gang-banga wannabes or something if they had a huge stack. :eek:

youd be real suprised at the number of returns we get regarding people who are deputies/ cops ... etc.. i dont think you understand the process.. you dont have to be a felon to get denied.. most times its only temporary

xenophobe
04-26-2006, 7:34 PM
CA DOJ does a NICS check, DMV check and looks through state records for mental health and also checks for restraining orders.

BigMac
04-26-2006, 8:55 PM
Most of the time guys will have DMV trouble getting them turned down..

If your behind on your child support... denied..parking ticket unpaid denied..

Alot of my best customers will short themself 1 day and get a 30 day violation deniel.. usually costing 2 days and 25 more bucks.

I've never had a cop denied. Most carry in and out with a chiefs letter.

MicronuT
04-26-2006, 8:59 PM
notice from doj usually comes back to the dros system within a couple of days notice