PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a gun to yourself from out of state

Twinsen
07-31-2010, 4:08 PM
Hi guys, I lived in Connecticut my entire life. As of this week, I'm a CA resident.

I want to ship my savage bolt to myself that is now in Connecticut. I bought the rifle just before I left to be my California gun, from an FFL. So it has been transferred to me and the feds and a state know I have it. Can I just UPS it to myself, or do I need to register the rifle and submit to a cavity search... etc etc in triplicate?

I've read both yes and no looking around. Figured asking would get a few answers for this specific question.

huck
07-31-2010, 5:03 PM
Great question. I'm interested in the answer.

If you were selling the gun to someone in CA, it would have to ship to an FFL. Transferring to a family member in CA, FFL. But shipping to yourself? I don't know.

Why don't you just bring it with you?

dustoff31
07-31-2010, 5:04 PM
Yes, you can ship it to yourself, via UPS or FEDEX. Check with them, they have rules about it can only be accepted at certain facilities and so forth.

CA does not require you to register long guns. Yet.

GunGeezer
07-31-2010, 5:29 PM
Yes, ALL the rules say that you can ship it to yourself; to your new home or to where you will be hunting, etc - TO YOU wherever you will be.

I have had issues w/ UPS and FedEx 800# "checking w/ them" and I know others that have also. On the other hand, I've read their rules online and follow them plus I carry a copy of their rules with me when I ship - I've had no issues at their offices, never had to pull out the rules. I've talked with the local employees of UPS and FedEx regarding shipping firearms, etc. I mentioned my calls to their 800#, they said, "don't call the 800# they have no idea what they are talking about and you will get a different answer each time you call" - I found that to be true. I'm no expert and not a lawyer, just for what it's worth.

Oceanbob
07-31-2010, 5:37 PM
It costs $1.50 per hundred (last time I shipped with Fed Ex). Don't tape up the box until in the Fed Ex or UPS store.

huck
07-31-2010, 5:58 PM
I read (on this forum) that shipping ammo to yourself from another state requires you to go to a UPS "hub" and not one of the smaller locations - for what it's worth.

choprzrul
07-31-2010, 6:05 PM
Going one further, can my father ship one of my guns to me from out of state? I bought new, so there has never been another owner on any paperwork. How about if I initiate the shipping here and pay for the pickup at his house. In theory I would be shipping to myself then???

huck
07-31-2010, 6:26 PM
Going one further, can my father ship one of my guns to me from out of state? I bought new, so there has never been another owner on any paperwork. How about if I initiate the shipping here and pay for the pickup at his house. In theory I would be shipping to myself then???

(the million dollar question) What is the gun?

For instance...
Long rifle - ship away.
Roster hand gun - ship and then you have to register with the state $19.
Non-roster hand gun - probably the same.
Taurus Judge - don't even think about it.

choprzrul
07-31-2010, 6:45 PM
(the million dollar question) What is the gun?

For instance...
Long rifle - ship away.
Roster hand gun - ship and then you have to register with the state $19.
Non-roster hand gun - probably the same.
Taurus Judge - don't even think about it.

BWK-92 (w/bb) & IFthis will be legal, a Russian sks.

Paragun
07-31-2010, 7:05 PM
Why do you want to ship your guns here?

You already shot yourself in the foot coming out to California, did you want to shoot the other foot for staying?
JK :laugh:

Welcome to California, we go to Disneyland to escape to a more realistic world!

choprzrul
07-31-2010, 7:11 PM
Why do you want to ship your guns here?

You already shot yourself in the foot coming out to California, did you want to shoot the other foot for staying?
JK :laugh:

Welcome to California, we go to Disneyland to escape to a more realistic world!

Yeah, I know. But I have been separated from 2 of my favorite toys since 2005 and it is time for a reunion.

I am just curious if I initiate the shipping and pickup from here in CA, if then it would indeed be considered shipping to myself and legal?

CSACANNONEER
07-31-2010, 7:14 PM
I believe that you can ship a long gun to yourself via USPS as well. Yes, all firearms shipped UPS or Fed Ex require you to go to a hub. Finally, niether California or "the feds" keep any record of long gun transfers. I really doubt that Connecticut does either. So, no gubmit agency knows what long guns you own.

Twinsen
07-31-2010, 7:32 PM
Thanks guys! Yayyyy cheap bolt!

I believe that you can ship a long gun to yourself via USPS as well. Yes, all firearms shipped UPS or Fed Ex require you to go to a hub. Finally, niether California or "the feds" keep any record of long gun transfers. I really doubt that Connecticut does either. So, no gubmit agency knows what long guns you own.

I went to the firearms division (of the state police?) in CT. They printed out a copy of all the guns they think me and my father own and told us to update the list for them if we would. There's a Dan Wesson revolver they think my Father has that he sold 40 years ago. They're silly. And they do keep records of all transfers and they do use them as registration even though it is expressly illegal to do so. I'm not naive about that, my friend.

Where is it... found it.
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Tacomaniacer/4473ip6.png

huck
07-31-2010, 8:57 PM

I don't know much about those guns. I assume someone will chime in with a definitive answer. The BWK-92 looks fine with a BB - evil features and all. Just no mags > 10 rounds. There are lots of SKS rifles around. Same rules there, I think.

CSACANNONEER
07-31-2010, 9:31 PM
Red Dawn is one of my favorite movies. Even that scene supports the FACT that 4473s are kept by the FFL not the Feds. The Feds don't get a copy or the originals until the FFL closes shop. But, you seem to know more than I do on the subject so, you must be right.

SJgunguy24
07-31-2010, 10:35 PM

Your GTG with those guns. I just checked the roster and the BWK-92 is not on the AW list. The Rusky SKS is GTG as long as the OEM mag is used. No detachable mags on that SKS.

As far as shipping, long guns ONLY are OK for USPS, they will not ship handguns. Any post office can process long arms.

UPS and Fed Ex will ship hand guns and long arms, for non FFL's handguns must be shipped over night (you to FFL, FFL's can use 2 day). This is due to guns being stolen and there is supposed to be better tracking with over night packages.
You will need to ship from a hub for both UPS and Fed Ex, the stores cannot process firearms of any type.

As for shipping to yourself, that is 100% legal. In the eyes of the law it's the same if your driving or flying. Your gun is your gun and no FFL is required since you will receive that firearm.

Anchors
08-01-2010, 12:18 AM
Thanks guys! Yayyyy cheap bolt!

I went to the firearms division (of the state police?) in CT. They printed out a copy of all the guns they think me and my father own and told us to update the list for them if we would. There's a Dan Wesson revolver they think my Father has that he sold 40 years ago. They're silly. And they do keep records of all transfers and they do use them as registration even though it is expressly illegal to do so. I'm not naive about that, my friend.

Where is it... found it.
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Tacomaniacer/4473ip6.png

Picture saved. haha. Awesome quality too, looks better than the movie itself.

-hanko
08-01-2010, 5:27 AM
You would. Otoh, I was gonna' write that no one will ask you Dad for i.d. IF he were to ship the guns, but I probably shouldn't continue on that thought.;)

Call FedEx or UPS and get it started. Welcome to the Peoples' Republic.

-hanko

Twinsen
08-01-2010, 7:30 PM
Thanks for the help everybody, now I can do what I should have been able to. For the moment I'm just having my Father bring me the bolt for the Savage so I can swap the bolt handle ASAP. BTW the Savage Edge isn't a good choice for a cheap bolt in case anyone is thinking of picking one up. Really bad trigger, bad stock, uselessly small bolt handle. And I mean bad trigger, not bad for a bolt... terrible for a bolt.

Red Dawn is one of my favorite movies. Even that scene supports the FACT that 4473s are kept by the FFL not the Feds. The Feds don't get a copy or the originals until the FFL closes shop. But, you seem to know more than I do on the subject so, you must be right.

I said CT, not the feds. Calm downs.

advocatusdiaboli
08-02-2010, 2:29 PM
As far as shipping, long guns ONLY are OK for USPS, they will not ship handguns.

I received my P229 from AZ and my P239 from TN via USPS to my FFL. I wonder how that happened?
I think it might be the opposite--that USPS won't ship long guns--every long gun I've ever bought has come UPS or Fedex.
Not that he should use USPS--I'd say go with Fedex or UPS and be sure to insure them.

Twinsen
08-02-2010, 3:16 PM
My Father got patted down at the airport in Boston with the bolt. They took him aside after searching him because of the bolt and called the police. The state police said just let him through, no problem.

So TSA said NO, GRR! IT'S THE LAW! And other such Judge Dredd authoritarian crap. They even presented him with the rules on paper for him to read. It says no complete firearms and does not prohibit gun parts, as expected. And then said, "Oh, but we interpret it to mean.." Give them an inch, they take a mile. Breaking laws written very specifically to limit their power at every chance.

-hanko
08-02-2010, 3:27 PM
I received my P229 from AZ and my P239 from TN via USPS to my FFL. I wonder how that happened?

Not that he should use USPS--I'd say go with Fedex or UPS and be sure to insure them.
If you check USPS policy, you wouldn't wonder;).

USPS accepts long guns from any shipper, but handguns need to be shipped by a licensee.

I'd say go with USPS or UPS or Fed-Ex, insure the weapon, and get a tracking number.

hth

-hanko