PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Lake Almanor, fishing tips?

chickenfried
07-31-2010, 12:24 AM
Headed there this weekend. Any tips? Any good spots on shore or do you need a boat? Night fishing any good?

spegull03
07-31-2010, 1:23 AM
I've always been a fan of Hamilton Branch, but it gets pretty crowded sometimes. Trolling at dusk around the shore can be good as well. Are you fly fishing or reel fishing?

chickenfried
07-31-2010, 9:20 AM
Fishing with a spinning reel. The only thing I've caught since I took up fishing again was a turtle at chabot. Seemed so easy when I was younger :p.

NORCAL#1
07-31-2010, 9:28 AM
I was just their last weekend fishing seems to be pretty good this year! Get a fishing report from Chester when you drive through. There is all so a nice shooting range about 7 miles from the lake. Its called westwood gun club, no one is ever there, its free and the range goes out to three hundred yards. If you do go fishing from the shore try hamilton branch at dusk or dawn. Good luck.

chickenfried
07-31-2010, 9:55 AM
Thanks for the help. A free 300 yard range! I'm going to have to see if I can convince everyone. They'll be into it, their wives not so much...

I have my two rod stamp. I guess I'll try hamilton branch at dusk and dawn with a kastmaster on one and the other one sitting with a nightcrawler.

olhunter
07-31-2010, 2:35 PM
If you can buy/make/borrow crawdad baskets, they have the best cold-water crawdads I've ever eaten. The lake's full of em. Nothing better than a huge platter of steaming crawdads and some cold beers! Ok, maybe there are, but still....

Sorry, no fishing tips. We just water skied all day, pulled up the traps and chowed down.