PDA

View Full Version : Need a professional/knowledgable opinion

BR276
07-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Hi. I am new on here and I know questions are frowned upon, especially concerning assault weapons...but I have a pressing question that I have been getting mixed answers to. I have done a lot of research, but I still cannot find the specific answer I am looking for. Therefore, hopefully someone on here has the knowledge/experience to know the answer to my inquiry.

I was interested in possibly purchasing a semi-auto Tommy gun from an acquaintance. I realize it meets the off list requirements as an assault weapon.

Primarily, my question is, if a bullet button is installed (to make it an attachable fixed mag) and ONLY a ten round magazine is used, can I LEGALLY purchase AND register the firearm in CA as a "non-assault" weapon???

This may have been discussed in other threads (so I apologize if it was), but I stated sifting through and there is sooooo much information and I am looking for the info ASAP.

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

dreslinger
07-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Sounds reasonable but I do not know. You need to contact someone with a lot more knowledge than I. Sorry

7222 Hawker
07-30-2010, 11:05 PM
A long gun doesnt need to be registered in California. If it is a Tommy with a bullet button and and a 10 rounder, than you are ok. With a Tommy though, you will have to custom make a bullet button type device and the 10 round mags are hard to get. Auto Ordinance will not customize your Tommy. You're on your own. There are ways to make a bullet button type device but it ain't exactly easy. 10/30 mags are damned near impossible to obtain. In my personal experience. Anyone with better info, please inform. This info is my experience only.

bballwizard05
07-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Everything you said registers as correct, but I don't think you have to register any non-assualt weapons. If you have a bullet button and only run 10 rounders, it becomes "just another rifle" so no registration required. AFAIK

Hopi
07-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Despite your perception, questions are not frowned upon here....but kudos for doing your research and it sounds like you know your stuff (love the attachable fixed mag reference :) )......

You can indeed voluntarily register your long guns with the CA DOJ. I believe you can find the forms on the DOJ website. (http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/)

Is there any reason why you would voluntarily register?

BR276
07-30-2010, 11:18 PM
For clarification purposes, the only reason I am asking about the whole registration thing is because it is currently registered as an assault rifle with it's current owner and I am trying to figure out about the legalities of transferring it into my name due to the change from an assault rifle to a regular rifle.

freonr22
07-30-2010, 11:18 PM
cant he go featureless? isnt the end part a muzzle brake and not a flash hider? if so, could he just figure out a monster man/kydex type grip and have detachable 30 rounders?

Hopi
07-30-2010, 11:22 PM
For clarification purposes, the only reason I am asking about the whole registration thing is because it is currently registered as an assault rifle with it's current owner and I am trying to figure out about the legalities of transferring it into my name due to the change from an assault rifle to a regular rifle.

You mentioned above that it is an 'off-list' receiver, correct?

If so, the seller will need to remove the offending 'evil features' or attach a maglock before the sale, and submit a 'no longer in possession form' to the DOJ. (http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/)

BR276
07-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Perfect...that is exactly what I was hoping for :) The plan is to have him install the maglock prior to sale (with the ten round mag if I can find it), un-register it as an assault weapon, and sell it...hopefully it's that easy. Thanks for all the info

Rossi357
07-30-2010, 11:30 PM
Does barrel length come into play?

Hopi
07-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Does barrel length come into play?

Barrel length is a federal law enforced by the tax agents at the ATF; rifles must be greater than 16", shotguns greater than 18".

CSDGuy
07-30-2010, 11:44 PM
The problem is two-fold. One is that the seller will have to deregister the tommy as an AW, and convert it to a featureless state or other legal non-aw state. The question you'll have to ask yourself is whether or not you want to have the ability to drop the magazine without the use of a tool, and then configure it that way. The second is that large capacity magazines can't be transferred with it. That means regardless, you're stuck having to find 10 round tommy magazines.

Most likely, this isn't going to be an easy transfer. The fun part will be making sure the FFL knows that the transfer is a non-AW rifle.

jdberger
07-31-2010, 12:11 AM
Intelligent well thought out questions are never frowned upon. How do you think we got here in the first place?

Welcome to the forum.