PDA

View Full Version : Optic with my BUIS, where's it all go?

Uriah02
07-30-2010, 10:53 PM
Okay, I got a Robinson XCR with plenty of rail real estate. For optics I went with a TA31H-G ACOG (4x). One of the more seasoned individuals at the range last week pointed out that he found it odd that I have my ACOG nearest to the stock, in front of my pop-up rear sight post. I keep my front sight post down while shooting. I keep the ACOG as close to the stock as possible because my sight picture is best as the relief for the ACOG is a couple inches.
When I pop up the front sight post to look through the ACOG with it, it is blurry (big surprise, because of the 4x). Sooo am I all jacked up or how do you get the most effective use out of a ACOG (or similar quick look, short zoom sight) with the BUIS, or do I only use the BUIS, if and when the ACOG fails?

Mail Clerk
07-31-2010, 7:02 AM
Uraih02,

Your ACOG is your primary sight when in use. The irons sights are just back-up in case the ACOG?red dot goes south. I never use them both in combination. In some instances others may combine them BUT I see no reason myself.

Mail Clerk

Uriah02
07-31-2010, 8:14 AM
That's what I was thinking, but do people still position their BUIS in a more conventional position (all the way back) and the optic forward, or put the optic wherever it gets the best sight picture?

uxo2
07-31-2010, 8:40 AM
Ignore the range rats..

Place it where it works for YOU
and what you need and expect out
of you gear.

As for me...I have a red dot with
a fixed rear and front.

True cowitness and if it goes south....

No issues

gotthelife4u
07-31-2010, 8:42 AM
Ignore the range rats..

Place it where it works for YOU
and what you need and expect out
of you gear.

As for me...I have a red dot with
a fixed rear and front.

True cowitness and if it goes south....

No issues

+1 to this.

gizmo7718
07-31-2010, 8:58 AM
The fact that the TA31 models have such short eye relief, mounting it as rearward as possible is ideal. LaRue even makes a mount (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=244)to facilitate this.
Even so I still mount my rear BUIS behind my TA31. I shoot with my face pretty close to the charging handle anyway so the short eye relief doesn't really bother me, I can still get a great sight picture. And even if my optic were to fail (hard to imagine with an ACOG) I still can use the BUIS with maximum sight radius.

Uriah02
07-31-2010, 9:24 AM
The fact that the TA31 models have such short eye relief, mounting it as rearward as possible is ideal. LaRue even makes a mount (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=244)to facilitate this.
Even so I still mount my rear BUIS behind my TA31. I shoot with my face pretty close to the charging handle anyway so the short eye relief doesn't really bother me, I can still get a great sight picture. And even if my optic were to fail (hard to imagine with an ACOG) I still can use the BUIS with maximum sight radius.

Looks useful, thanks!

icentropy
07-31-2010, 10:46 AM
I had the same question a week ago and took the "conventional" route and positioned my BUIS behind the ACOG (nearest to the stock), after reading this I'm gonna put them back the way I had them originally with the BUIS in front (nearest the muzzle) of the ACOG, because of the eye relief and I don't like having my nose almost touching the charging handle. BUIS sight radius is diminished but they are "back up" sights after all and priority should be given to the ACOG.