PDA

View Full Version : Run in with a Rattler

LloydXmas250
07-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Out hunting rabbit today around 6ish. I was in high brush and not getting any good shot opportunities on the ears I saw bolting. I tried a greener area and ended up walking into a bogged down muddy area and tried to take a short cut back to better ground when I stepped about 8 inches from a rattler. Scary thing is it didn't start buzzing until after I jumped. I find it hard to believe I surprised him that badly but I was quite worried at practically stepping on him without any warning. He was quite the big one as well. Over three feet and had about 8 or 9 buttons on his rattle. I can honestly say I've never jumped higher and had my heart racing as fast. Just wanted to share and tell everyone to be careful out there.

emtnsocali
07-30-2010, 10:40 PM
did the same thing out in perris while out shooting the about 2 weeks ago.....about the same time of day too. luckily i had the electronic ear pro on so i heard it rattle nice and loud. made it about 2 feet from it. my buddy who had foam ears in didnt hear a damn thing, only saw me jump about 3 feet in the air. keep your head on a swivel!

bruce_ventura
07-30-2010, 11:10 PM
I use snake gaiters for that very reason. When you're hunting, my attention is focused on stalking or getting in position for a shot. Snake gaitors are cheap insurance and also keep the cockleburs and other *****les out of my socks.

cmth
07-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Is this where we trade rattler recipes? They taste great in the smoker.

SickofSoCal
07-30-2010, 11:29 PM
Always wear mid-calf boots this time of year when in the brush. You probably already know that though.

This has been a heavy year for them. Run across two in two months,

LloydXmas250
07-31-2010, 1:18 AM
did the same thing out in perris while out shooting the about 2 weeks ago.....about the same time of day too. luckily i had the electronic ear pro on so i heard it rattle nice and loud. made it about 2 feet from it. my buddy who had foam ears in didnt hear a damn thing, only saw me jump about 3 feet in the air. keep your head on a swivel!

That's where I was. Good ole Perris. I had actually just taken out my ear protection cause it was bugging me, but my protection would have allowed me to hear it, although the damn thing didn't start rattling til I jumped back so I had no warning. Just caught him out of the corner of my eye. I think I will be investing in some protective chaps or bibs.

Cougar125
07-31-2010, 4:08 AM
Generally a good pair of leather boots that go up to mid calf and a pair of carharts (the heavy canvas pants) do good against rattlers.

CSACANNONEER
07-31-2010, 8:14 AM
Is this where we trade rattler recipes? They taste great in the smoker.

An 8" buzzworm ain't worth the trouble. But, go ahead and post a few. I get 3 to 5 footers around my place and I'm open to trying new recipes.

Big Jake
07-31-2010, 9:23 AM
This seems to be a particularly bad year for snakes. I wonder why?

ScottB
07-31-2010, 9:27 AM
He said he stepped 8" from a 3' snake, not an 8" snake.

I have encountered rattlers that didn't rattle, but usually its when it is still cool and they are sluggish. Stepped right on a fattie one day while hunting grouse. The only way I knew was that it didn't feel like everything else I was stepping on. Kinda soft. After a brief Mexican standoff, we parted peaceably

CSACANNONEER
07-31-2010, 9:30 AM
He said he stepped 8" from a 3' snake, not an 8" snake.

WOW. I need to drink some caffine and wake up before I post. Thanks for the correction. I've only killed 3 rattlers this year. I did it in four days and not one of them rattled. It happens. Most snakes I come across do not rattle.

Cpl_Peters
07-31-2010, 6:00 PM
i season them with garlic powder, salt & pepper, and lime juice then throw 'em on the grill. As it cooks i spread butter on it.

spectr17
07-31-2010, 9:18 PM
Haven't see one in awhile thank god. I was fishing tonight at Ford Park right before dark and heard buzzin so I stopped in mid step. I couldn't see what it was in the bushes so I walked around the other side of the pond.

Lloyd, up by where you live I saw a huge snake track in the dirt going into a wood pile by the groves there. It was either a gopher snake or one big azz rattler. I hope I don't run into that one.

Timberwolf
07-31-2010, 9:42 PM
This seems to be a bumper year for snakes and black widows. We're being invaded by poison packing critters . . . over throw plot in the animal kingdom maybe . . .

ElToro
07-31-2010, 9:54 PM
i kill a few black widows every week. dang chickens wont eat em they eat all the other crawlies around here. thanks goodness no snakes where im at. have to go the hills for that.

Rob454
07-31-2010, 11:35 PM
WOW. I need to drink some caffine and wake up before I post. .

No s**t buddy. You better not walk outside you're probably gonna get bitten by some 8" rattler and die. :D

LloydXmas250
08-01-2010, 12:59 AM
Haven't see one in awhile thank god. I was fishing tonight at Ford Park right before dark and heard buzzin so I stopped in mid step. I couldn't see what it was in the bushes so I walked around the other side of the pond.

Lloyd, up by where you live I saw a huge snake track in the dirt going into a wood pile by the groves there. It was either a gopher snake or one big azz rattler. I hope I don't run into that one.

That's scary about one in Ford Park. Way too many kids in that area and that's bad news waiting to happen. I'm always on the lookout when near the groves but I've never run into one up there yet. Knock on wood. I'm not a huge fan of snakes, especially ones that will kill. Next time I'm up there with my dog I'll make sure he's leashed up.

ScottB
08-01-2010, 8:48 AM
There are rattlesnakes everywhere, including backyards near open space. You can't ever assume just because its a park or fenced or popular with kids that there are no snakes

chickenfried
08-01-2010, 9:05 AM
Doug Bell, wildlife program manager for the East Bay Regional Park District, said excellent habitat and feed conditions have benefited snakes and most wildlife. He called it "a spectacular snake year."

Heavy rain this spring was the trigger. High forage supported lots of ground squirrels, mice, gophers, small rabbits and lizards. That provided a ton of food for rattlesnakes and gopher snakes. Other critters have shared in the feast, including bobcat, fox, coyote, and raptors such as golden eagles, hawks, falcons and owls.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/07/25/SPT01EIM97.DTLThis seems to be a particularly bad year for snakes. I wonder why?

CSACANNONEER
08-01-2010, 9:29 AM
No s**t buddy. You better not walk outside you're probably gonna get bitten by some 8" rattler and die. :D

Yep, I don't even step out the front door without looking for them. I always walk outside withe a revolver full of shotshells either. But, you must know where I live. I've already taken a few this year within 10 feet of my house!

spectr17
08-01-2010, 1:07 PM
Just got this from a buddy in MO. He was about to work on his brush hog and zoweeee, he had an audience. Mr. Copperhead was hid real good.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs127.ash2/39695_147987011885372_100000222218790_469700_32694 8_n.jpg

BenjaminCA
08-01-2010, 1:18 PM
THats a pretty snake, looks just like the leaves around it, excellent camo!

capitol
08-01-2010, 7:12 PM
:useless:

Abesnake
08-01-2010, 9:59 PM
There are rattlesnakes everywhere, including backyards near open space. You can't ever assume just because its a park or fenced or popular with kids that there are no snakes

Righty Oh! I walked my kid to grammar school once and we found one crossing a residential street, here in L.A.

LLoyd what's the matter with you? LOL You had a great dinner right there. Why didn't you take it home...or at least freeze it for auction over here. LOL Pin his hide and salt'em and you've got a great hat band, too.

spectr17
08-01-2010, 10:13 PM
That's scary about one in Ford Park. Way too many kids in that area and that's bad news waiting to happen. I'm always on the lookout when near the groves but I've never run into one up there yet. Knock on wood. I'm not a huge fan of snakes, especially ones that will kill. Next time I'm up there with my dog I'll make sure he's leashed up.

Since I didn't see the snake and just heard it buzzing it could have been a gopher snake too. I've seen them shake their tails in the leaves to fake you out to think they are a rattler.

Fireguy
08-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Chickenfried,
Thanks for that link, my son and DNL and run all over EBRPD trails.

Do you find rattlers above 5000' ?

LloydXmas250
08-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Righty Oh! I walked my kid to grammar school once and we found one crossing a residential street, here in L.A.

LLoyd what's the matter with you? LOL You had a great dinner right there. Why didn't you take it home...or at least freeze it for auction over here. LOL Pin his hide and salt'em and you've got a great hat band, too.

You know in all honesty I got spooked so bad about the situation I didn't even think about it. I was kicking myself afterwards. Forgot my knife in the car so I couldn't even take the rattle. Got the pics off my phone finally. Sorry they're so small.
http://i29.tinypic.com/709lyp.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/14y0q3n.jpg

As for the skin, they're would be quite a bit missing after my 4 shot hit him from 5 feet away.

Cougar125
08-02-2010, 4:24 AM
But, you must know where I live. I've already taken a few this year within 10 feet of my house!
Caldwell, Greenleaf, Melba, Middleton, Nampa, Notus, Parma, Wilder? Which one? I grew up in Caldwell...thats why I ask.

CSACANNONEER
08-02-2010, 7:52 AM
Caldwell, Greenleaf, Melba, Middleton, Nampa, Notus, Parma, Wilder? Which one? I grew up in Caldwell...thats why I ask.

??????

Shoot-it
08-02-2010, 5:47 PM
Wow he had a lot of buttons .I have a tail like that it had 13 buttons I kept it.

spectr17
08-02-2010, 5:56 PM
Cut off that tail and glue it to a stick. When you friend goes to sit down at camp in front of the fire give the stick a shake when he can't see you. :D

Cougar125
08-02-2010, 7:27 PM
??????

I misread your location. Took the R out of Country and it read Canyon County to me.

LloydXmas250
08-02-2010, 7:42 PM
I should have put something down to show his length. You can't really tell in those small cell phone pics but he was over 3 feet. Has 12 buttons on it too. Forgot my knife. That sucked.

spectr17
08-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Most buttons I've seen on a rattler is 21 at our fire camp in East Fork. Most in person alive was maybe 13. The rattlers up by the dams above LA get huge. They have an old pic from the 1920s at Cogswell Dam of a rattler laying across West Fork Rd going into the dam. That road is a lot wider than my wingspan (6 ft) and the snake looks like a speed bump, he's that big and touching both sides of the road. :eek:

http://www.jesseshunting.com/images/rattlesnake_21rattles_camp19_close.jpg

This one is 6 ft on the plaque (same as above) and it's not the whole rattler. Maybe 6 1/2 or 7 footer.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/images/rattlesnake_21rattles_camp19.jpg