PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a firearm online...

redster
07-30-2010, 9:20 PM
Always had bought from the local dealers I prefer, but current times dictates another route. I found a pistol I like and it's hard to get. My local dealer is asking 200 bucks more(plus tax and Dros) than an online dealer. When you buy out of state I know you pay for transfer, are dealers doing transfers charging tax too? The party selling the revolver is a gun shop. Am I saving money even after paying the transfer related fees? The local gun shop is asking 900 for the pistol and the out of state shop is 695+ 20 ship. It is a california approved firearm.

NapaCountyShooter
07-30-2010, 9:50 PM
If you can find a dealer with a better transfer price it might make sense. You're already at the same price with the transfer fee with a lot more trouble and waiting. I'd say at that price I'd just order from your local gun shop.

swerv512
07-30-2010, 10:09 PM
nowadays i always buy online if the price is right. say that 900 pistol bought in ca will run you an extra $76 in sales tax. now you're lloking at $976 plus dros ($25) = $1001

versus...

695 firearm + 20 shipping + dros(25) + out of state transfer (about $50)= $790

that's more than $200 in you rpoccket to buy some ammo with....!

chrisw
07-31-2010, 1:03 AM
are dealers doing transfers charging tax too?

I've seen it both ways. Some dealers insist they have to charge you the sales tax, even thought all they are doing is the transfer.

www.GunBuyingClub.com
07-31-2010, 4:54 AM
what gun are you looking to buy?

Greg-Dawg
07-31-2010, 4:58 AM
Find another federal firearms licensed dealer with a better price.

bsg
07-31-2010, 9:13 AM
I've seen it both ways. Some dealers insist they have to charge you the sales tax, even thought all they are doing is the transfer.

depends where you have the transfer done; i just paid $85.00 out the door at Alamo Jewelry and Loan on a Gunbroker purchase. they treated me great and the transfer was smooth.... you can get it done cheaper than that at some places.

Donny1
07-31-2010, 9:28 AM
I was looking for a pistol online and found that by the time it got to me it would cost the same. Gunbroker seems to be not that great for finding that "awesome" deal. Just a little better than retail here. I think there are good deals online from some stores but I think it's the same as a local shop, you need to go by reputation.

I waited and just found the deal I was looking for from a Calgunner here on the site. Also try Gun Genie. It will give you local quotes and availability and the pricing seems competitive.

bsg
07-31-2010, 9:45 AM
I was looking for a pistol online and found that by the time it got to me it would cost the same. Gunbroker seems to be not that great for finding that "awesome" deal. Just a little better than retail here. I think there are good deals online from some stores but I think it's the same as a local shop, you need to go by reputation.

I waited and just found the deal I was looking for from a Calgunner here on the site. Also try Gun Genie. It will give you local quotes and availability and the pricing seems competitive.

Gunbroker is good for finding that gun you've been watching for, but couldn't find because of it's scarcity when the search is restricted to local shops. there are some good finds on the forum scene; some great finds.

redster
07-31-2010, 8:31 PM
I was looking to get a Ruger Redhawk Alaskan. Called around other shops and no one has it in stock except for the local dealer I was talking about that is selling it for 900 bucks. Some of the dealers I called said it's hard to come by this model. So maybe I'll call the out of state retailer monday about purchasing the gun.

bruss01
07-31-2010, 9:49 PM
Gunbroker is good for finding that gun you've been watching for, but couldn't find because of it's scarcity when the search is restricted to local shops. there are some good finds on the forum scene; some great finds.

I agree here. If you are looking for a gun that is common as dirt, Gunbroker will probably not provide you with the best possible deal. Gunbroker is good at finding you things that are less common, and if you are willing to be patient (weeks or months) you can often find a pretty good deal just because on a particular week you happened to be the only one looking for a Marlin .30 carbine levergun. It happened to me! You can set alerts to let you know when items fitting a certain description are listed, that way you can keep an eye out.

A lot of brick & mortar stores will charge you extra in addition to dros just for being there to sign the UPS sheet when a gun you ordered online arrives. IMHO that's hogwash, as is trying to collect sales tax on an item they never sold you! Find a good kitchen table FFL who doesn't have the high overhead and will process your papers without trying to make a living off a few paltry sales a week (in other words, he has a day job). I've done alot of this and couldn't be happier.