PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished the Mosin

Chester
07-30-2010, 8:07 PM
So, here she is...

Finally finished putting it back together about an hour ago. 4 coats of that pre-made amber Bullseye shellac (couldn't find the flakes readily enough). Took a while to strip off the old Soviet crap as I was giving it a good denatured alcohol rubdown, but then read a bunch of people attesting to Easy Off oven cleaner.

Two things about that stuff:
1. It works REALLY well for stripping off old Soviet shellac and sucking out cosmoline.
2. It DOES sting like a ***** when you let it get on your skin.

I also noticed my stove had some cooked in grease above the pilot light and it cleaned that off really well, too. Go figure!

Anyway, there are a couple of imperfections (my first time), but I'm EXTREMELY happy with how it turned out.

Just thought I'd share and use the opportunity to pat myself on the back with people who'd appreciate this more than my girlfriend apparently does.

Before and after:http://www.cheshirepus.com/img/before_and_after.jpg

And another after shot:http://www.cheshirepus.com/img/after.jpg

Fot
07-30-2010, 8:18 PM
Gorgeous man...

Rem222
07-30-2010, 8:46 PM
I'll pat you on the back. Very nice work..... Thanks for sharing the pictures.....

23 Blast
07-30-2010, 9:05 PM
Excellent job, Chester!

I recently refinished an SKS stock that was really dark and oily. Instead of shellac, however, I went the BLO route and used wax afterward.

Chester
07-30-2010, 9:14 PM
Excellent job, Chester!

I recently refinished an SKS stock that was really dark and oily. Instead of shellac, however, I went the BLO route and used wax afterward.

Thanks!

I was actually on the fence with the linseed oil... enough to where I actually bought a can of it, but decided to try and go as old school as I could in the end. I still want to go the BLO route though, and this way I figure now I've got a great excuse to buy another Mosin!

Fate
07-30-2010, 9:26 PM
I'll say it before Dr. Peter Venkmann does. I liked it better before you Bubba'd the patina. Sorry.

Chester
07-30-2010, 9:46 PM
lol, I'm tempted to go show off at 7.62x54r.net just to rattle their cages.

To be honest, I did hesitate for a few minutes as I was rubbing off all the history, if that makes you purists hate me any less.

HotRails
07-30-2010, 10:48 PM
lol, I'm tempted to go show off at 7.62x54r.net just to rattle their cages.

To be honest, I did hesitate for a few minutes as I was rubbing off all the history, if that makes you purists hate me any less.

I dunno, just when I'm about to forgive you I think of allll that history... ;)