PDA

View Full Version : high cap mags

hug911
07-30-2010, 7:18 PM
hello fellow calgunners im still new to this but had sucess in the for sale forum.i was thinking of selling my sig p239 40 cal i bought in the early 90's so it has 12 round mags i was just wondering how this works in case i do try to sell the firearm and what my options are.thanks in advance.

santacruzstefan
07-30-2010, 7:27 PM
Well, I know you can't sell the mags, unless you take them apart and sell them as rebuild kits. That would probably be your best bet, unless the buyer is LE, of course, but I'm not sure how it would work in that case.

Ed_Hazard
07-30-2010, 7:30 PM
You can sell the firearm, the mags would have to be disassembled into rebuild kits that you could include w/the sale or sell seperate as rebuild kits. The buyer of the gun would need a complete 10rd mag in order to perform the safe handleing demo.

You could also keep the magsyourself as they are legally owned hi caps in case you purchase another gun in the future with which they are compatible. I personally have several Browning BDA .380 mags that I have held onto in hopes of finfing a nickle gun in the future. Ed

Ed_Hazard
07-30-2010, 7:31 PM
Well, I know you can't sell the mags, unless you take them apart and sell them as rebuild kits. That would probably be your best bet, unless the buyer is LE, of course, but I'm not sure how it would work in that case.

Even if the buyer is a LEO you as a private citizen cannot sell assembled hicap mags w/out the proper permit.

Purple K
07-30-2010, 7:37 PM
They're not high-capacity magazines, they are "standard-capacity" magazines. Anything less than the manufacturer originally intended is a "reduced-capacity" magazine. The names we use influence the non gun buying public.

hug911
07-30-2010, 7:46 PM
thanks to all for the quick resposnes it gives me options maybe sell gun keep mags and buy reduced capacity mags to sell with gun thanks again to all and sorry its a sig p229 lol

Lead-Thrower
07-30-2010, 8:33 PM
They're not high-capacity magazines, they are "standard-capacity" magazines. Anything less than the manufacturer originally intended is a "reduced-capacity" magazine. The names we use influence the non gun buying public.

I went to Nevada and used the term "high capacity mags" and people looked at me like I was crazy. I now only use the terms "standard capacity" and "californicated" mags. :p

leelaw
07-30-2010, 10:42 PM

They are "large-capacity magazines" regardless of how much some want to cloud the issue with other clique terms.

My recommendation is to sell the pistol but keep the magazines. If you ever want to buy a P239 in the future, you can reuse the magazines that you already have.

ke6guj
07-30-2010, 10:48 PM
Even if the buyer is a LEO you as a private citizen cannot sell assembled hicap mags w/out the proper permit.actually, I don't believe that to be correct.

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.

(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
(20) The sale to, lending to, transfer to, purchase by, receipt of, or importation into this state of, a large capacity magazine by a sworn peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of his or her duties.
If I were to sell a Large-cap magazine to an LEO, it would fall under 12020(b)(20), and I don't need a permit to do that. Now, AFAIK, I can't advertise large-cap mags for sale to LEOs, but if a LEO saw that I had a mag he wanted, he could offer to purchase it.