PDA

View Full Version : Question about Los Altos/ restricted ammo

santacruzstefan
07-30-2010, 7:16 PM
Its been a while since I've been up there, and tomorrow I'm taking my dad and brother up to go shooting. But I just realized, they might not let me use my M855, with its steel core and all. Their site doesn't say anything about it, although they do ban "armor-piercing" ammo, but that isn't quite the same thing. Anyway, does anyone have any experience with Los Altos and steel core/ magnetic ammo, and know if they allow it or not?

jchen76@gmail.com
07-30-2010, 7:51 PM
I don't think m855 is an issue. They don't inspect ammo and the backstop is a gigantic earth berm with no possibility of hitting any type rock to spark a fire. Never had problems shooting wolf bi-metal ammo there. Last time I was there was last month.
About half the folks shooting ARs or AK47 variants would shoot wolf/brown bear/tula on any given day.
There was posting not too long ago saying they didn't allow it anymore bi-metal jacketed metal. Strange. It's best if you can call before heading on up.

wjc
07-30-2010, 8:33 PM
Here's their website: http://www.losaltosrodandgunclub.com/

Possible relevant section in the range rules:

14. The following are NOT PERMITTED on this range: FULLY AUTOMATIC FIREARMS, ARMOR-PIERCING BULLETS, INCENDIARY BULLETS, TRACER BULLETS, TRIGGER ACTIVATORS, 50 CALIBER BMG OR SIMILAR AMMO, EXPLODING TARGETS, AND ANY FIREARM THAT DOES NOT COMPLY WITH STATE AND FEDERAL LAWS. All PISTOL-GRIP LONG GUNS may only be fired with butt plate against the shoulder (fixed stock and/or folding stock extended). IF NO SHOULDER STOCK, THE FIREARM IS NOT ALLOWED ON THIS RANGE.

They also have some restrictions on which shot (shotguns) can be used at what ranges.

btw, I don't shoot an EBR but I've never seen them fo an ammo check.

CalNRA
07-31-2010, 5:26 AM
I have never seen them checking ammo, ever.

But drive at 3.03 mph through the place and they'll try to spike-strip you.

Freebird
07-31-2010, 6:24 AM
I have never seen them checking ammo, ever.

But drive at 3.03 mph through the place and they'll try to spike-strip you.

I laughed.

freonr22
07-31-2010, 6:36 AM
I have not been there in over 15 years, but it was like that then, too!

sprintcar
07-31-2010, 3:11 PM
I don't think m855 is an issue. They don't inspect ammo and the backstop is a gigantic earth berm with no possibility of hitting any type rock to spark a fire. Never had problems shooting wolf bi-metal ammo there. Last time I was there was last month.
About half the folks shooting ARs or AK47 variants would shoot wolf/brown bear/tula on any given day.
There was posting not too long ago saying they didn't allow it anymore bi-metal jacketed metal. Strange. It's best if you can call before heading on up.

When I lived in Saratoga my Dad and I shot there. My Dad was on the 100 yard range when someone hit a rock that did spark a fire on top of the dirt berm. He said that fire was hell to put out due to all the pine needles on the ground.

santacruzstefan
07-31-2010, 6:32 PM
Well, we went there today, it was a blast, and no, they don't care about M855 (or at least they didn't say anything about it, and they saw the green tips numerous times during the cease-fires.) Its a great range; I'm gonna have to go more often.