PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding nice handgun for sister.

b00gym4n
07-30-2010, 5:32 PM
She wants a pistol to use at the range. Primarily for recreational and self defense. Any suggestions ladies? Something nice on the eyes that fits a woman's hands nicely.

Sajedene
07-30-2010, 6:44 PM
It will vary from person to person so I recommend she rent some guns out and see which gun works best with her grip and what caliber she does best with.

JeffM
07-30-2010, 8:41 PM
:useless:

freonr22
07-30-2010, 8:57 PM
what is the budget? browning hipower 9mm? model 41 .22? Sig p220st .45?

Steyrlp10
07-30-2010, 10:06 PM
What everyone else has said... the best thing for her to do is handle several different handguns to have something to compare to -- find a range that rents guns or hit up a Calgunner who owns an arsenal.

In the beginning, it may be pretty overwhelming for her. Imagine finding the perfect pair of shoes or the perfect purse -- you get the idea. (If she wants to buy more than one gun, let her know that she's normal, and that we all approve!)

Once she thinks she knows what she wants, make sure she understands all the working parts and is able to break it down and put it back together again. If she can't or won't, then stick to a revolver.

Trust me -- I know what extra gun parts on the table looks like :)

Robidouxs
07-31-2010, 1:44 AM
Give her a revolver and a standard semi-auto handgun for her figure out which mechanical system she prefers. From there, then determine the type of caliber she likes. End on deciding on a gun based on what she likes from the two above filters.

ivanimal
07-31-2010, 1:45 AM
I always recommend the Ruger Mark III.

Not a self defense gun tho.

Sunday
07-31-2010, 10:45 AM
A Ruger SP101 or a Smith J frame is a good place to start.

Trapper
07-31-2010, 10:45 AM
Give her a revolver and a standard semi-auto handgun for her figure out which mechanical system she prefers. From there, then determine the type of caliber she likes. End on deciding on a gun based on what she likes from the two above filters.

Great advice! Once she has chosen a pistol or revolver then she can check out accessories, such as aftermarket grips and holsters.
After years of taking new shooters to the range it's difficult to recommend a firearm with out looking at her size, strength and experence level. A 4" K frame revolver and mid sized 9mm are a good fit for alot of new shooters but not all. The last new shooter I took to the range prefered my 1911 with 200gr target loads over the Sig 226 9mm or S&W 66 with 38spl hand loads.

Steyrlp10
07-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Great advice! Once she has chosen a pistol or revolver then she can check out accessories, such as aftermarket grips and holsters.
After years of taking new shooters to the range it's difficult to recommend a firearm with out looking at her size, strength and experence level. A 4" K frame revolver and mid sized 9mm are a good fit for alot of new shooters but not all. The last new shooter I took to the range prefered my 1911 with 200gr target loads over the Sig 226 9mm or S&W 66 with 38spl hand loads.

I agree on the 1911 frame as far as slimmer grips go. My GFs have an XD and a Sig, but they were surprised when they picked up the Colt 1911s I have. They don't follow target guns, so they were especially surprised that I have the 1911 frame for all three calibers that they could shoot: .22LF, .38 HBWC, and 200 gr SWC.

six10
07-31-2010, 8:12 PM
Honestly, her tastes might very well change as she progresses in her ability and conquers any recoil shyness, so she really ought to try out as many models as she can before buying, and even then (this is the voice of experience talking) she'll wind up wanting another, and then another, and then... ;)

Best of luck to both of you!

sevensix2x51
07-31-2010, 11:41 PM
:useless:

http://www.thereviewcrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/rtfm1.png

that said, ive been looking long and hard for a .327 fed mag for mama to rent, so she can check out the supposed "lower recoil, but better velocity and penetration than a .357." if you can find one of those, they are supposed to be the hot ticket right now.......

b00gym4n
08-01-2010, 12:50 AM
She wants a deagle, but can barely shoot a 9 =x. I'll see if i can find some for her to try out. thanks.