View Full Version : Buying a piece of land for private shooting??

07-30-2010, 4:39 PM
I remember someone here mentioned this idea. Is it really feasible in ca? Have you or anyone you know done it? I live in nor cal, so Oregon land is also a consideration. Thanks

07-30-2010, 4:55 PM
It's not illegal to shoot on your own land given a few requirements. You might want to check out the 2A forum for more information.

07-30-2010, 4:56 PM
Great question. Even if I could afford 40 acres in San Diego county, on a hillside, in the sticks, with plenty of backstop, would it even be legal to shoot in the county? Or Riverside, or Imperial? I'm guessing no in San Diego at least, but really have no idea for sure.

07-30-2010, 4:58 PM
Buying land for your own enjoyment and shooting is absolutely feasable. I know a guy looking to sell his land he shoots on. I am a Real Estate agent in Nor Cal and can answer any questions you have.

Mr. Beretta
07-30-2010, 5:00 PM
I would call the Sheriff or PD who is the LE for the area. They will tell you a definite yes or no. Good Luck.

07-30-2010, 5:02 PM
Good Question!! I would think as long as this acreage is outside the city limits and there's probably some Code on being a distance from any public roadways.

07-30-2010, 5:24 PM
You most certainly can. Local codes and ordinances will vary, be sure to do your research before moving earth.

07-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Thanks all - looks like I need to do more research. Still want to hear some first-hand experience in this. Please let me know if you happen to know some stories or have looked into this yourself.

07-31-2010, 12:16 AM
it seems cheaper to just to hit up a shooting range.

07-31-2010, 12:30 AM
I've wondered this myself, and the solution seems to be purchasing out of state, since CA land (I'm in SoCal) is so incredibly expensive. I'd probably have a few backdrops setup for long range shooting. I would also bust out my toolkit and build a few "tactical staging areas" with some badguys placed around. Don't forget the plinking gallery of course.

07-31-2010, 12:31 AM
I would call the Sheriff or PD who is the LE for the area. They will tell you a definite yes or no. Good Luck.

Unfortunately the answer may or may not be correct. I would call a good attorney first - especially since you'll be investing your own money into the land.

07-31-2010, 1:34 AM
My wife and I are probating 40 acres in eastern Lassen County. Well and electric are already in and I plan to build my getaway cabin up there. It's wide open country, BLM land nearby and with a little prep a hundred yard range on the property shouldn't be a big deal. It's fairly remote and what few neighbors there are I'm told are shooters and hunters.

07-31-2010, 1:40 AM
I've seen over 1,000 acres of land in rural CA go for under a million dollars. I suggest purchasing land in one of the CCW friendly areas because they generally do not have laws against the discharge of a firearms on personal property where as where I live it doesn't matter even if you have no road or residence within a mile of where you are shooting.

07-31-2010, 3:04 AM
A friend of a friend of a friend owns about 40 acres of land in San Diego county down by the border. We go out there and shoot every once in a while and never have trouble. Border Patrol comes by every couple of hours, but they mainly just hang out and shoot the sh*t (figuratively speaking of course).

07-31-2010, 3:47 AM
High Desert land is cheap as dirt, literally.

07-31-2010, 4:51 AM
In San Diego County you have to be east of the I-15 to shoot...like I am.

07-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Good idea. You might want to check to see if your neighbors have the right to shut you down if they complain. That's what happened with us. We have the right to shoot, but only if the neighbors don't file a complaint. Outside city limits, but oddly our sheriff does honor noise violations. Unsure of the technicalities, but if you have a choice of areas to buy, maybe looking for one w/ a supportive sheriff is better than one with easily annoyed neighbors...they'll find a way to get back at you!

07-31-2010, 1:16 PM

Not really, if you consider long term. I go to the range at least twice a month. Even with a club discount, it's about $20 per month. That's about $400 per year (with membership due). Many of us have been shooting for decades and the long term cost can be significant ($30 per month for 30 years will give you about $45,000 assuming 8% annual return). Buying your own land, on the other hand, is an investment. Since shooting does not take value from the land, it's 100% free.

Lucky Scott
07-31-2010, 1:40 PM
Went shooting at my friends place in Kingman AZ. 10 acres with 150 acres of BLM land for cattle grazing around it. Had no problem and he has done it for years.
We shot pistols and shotguns (skeet), but I did not bring any rifles since they can travel a lot farther.

07-31-2010, 2:16 PM
In rural Sonoma county it's OK to shoot. I've got 20+ acres, and many of my neighbors have lots more. We all hunt and target practice.
Mostly you need to stay at least 150 yards from roads or houses, etc.

Here's a link to Sonoma county municipal codes:

Sec. 19.A-5. Restrictions on use of small arm device in safety zones.
(a) Any person who discharges any small arm device within one hundred fifty (150) yards of any building, dwelling house, camp, or other place where human beings inhabit, assemble, frequent, or pass, excepting publicly maintained roads, said one hundred fifty (150) yard area being hereby declared a "safety zone," is guilty of a misdemeanor and is punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than six (6) months or by fine not exceeding five hundred dollars ($500.00), or by both such fine and imprisonment. As used in this section "inhabited" means currently being used for dwelling purposes, whether occupied or not.
(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:
(i) peace officers or persons summoned by peace officers to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace, or members of the armed services of the United States, the National Guard, or the state guard, or persons employed by the county, state or by the United States to destroy predatory animals, birds, or pests, while such persons are acting in the lawful discharge of their duties;
(ii) persons using a small arm device in the lawful defense of self, third parties, or livestock or other property of the user;
(iii) persons discharging or firing small arms devices or causing them to be discharged or fired at a lawfully established firing, shooting, or target range with consent of the owner and/or person in charge of any such firing, shooting or target range;
(iv) owners or employees of a lawfully established business to sell or repair small arms devices who test discharge or fire such devices into bullet traps;
(v) persons who have asked for and received in writing the consent of all owners and inhabitants of buildings, dwelling houses, camps or other places within the declared safety zone;
(vi) persons using a small arm device as a necessary tool during construction or modification of any structure pursuant to a valid building permit issued by the county of Sonoma.
(Ord. No. 2979 1.)

Of course the real problem is finding affordable land in Sonoma county...

07-31-2010, 5:38 PM
I hunt all the time up at my ranch in San Joaquin Valley

07-31-2010, 6:50 PM

True, but if he's got mad dollars then it's worth it. I would be nice to have a land to shoot at anytime you want and a bit of game to hunt on it too.

07-31-2010, 9:57 PM
It's also cheaper to live in a tent under an overpass too.

07-31-2010, 10:43 PM
The other cool part about having your own land would be no rules (aside form laws.)

You could rapid fire all day, shoot cans, long range, whatever you want.
Plus you could go camping on your land and wake up and shoot, that would be fun.

I guess it would kind of be like BLM land, but yours to keep and use at your leisure.

08-01-2010, 12:54 PM
It's also cheaper to live in a tent under an overpass too.

No it's not. I bought my place in San Francisco 9 years ago and have made hundreds of thousands of dollars on it. The guy living down the street under the overpass hasn't made anything. So his situation is actually more "expensive" (and a lot less comfortable and nice). Same situation here with buying land for shooting.

08-06-2010, 5:16 PM
I'm looking into the same thing around Kern county. Is it enough for a lot to be in unincorporated area for unrestricted discharge ?

10-02-2010, 8:19 AM
Went to Oregon for a short vacation and ended up buying 10 ac near Lake Klamath. I checked with the county and it seems one can do almost anything there :-) Won't be able to go there too often (5 hours driving from where I live). I guess I will just bring a lot of ammo and shoot the hell out of it when I am there... Maybe one day i will move there - getting a CCW in OR sounds easier than buying a gun in CA...