PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience using a powerline ethernet kit?

DavidRSA
07-30-2010, 4:30 PM
I need to run Ethernet connections in two opposite ends of my apartment. I been looking at at adapter kits that use your home's electrical wiring to accomplish this, like this one: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=216551539

Anyone ever tried out something like this? What were your experiences?

Mute
07-30-2010, 4:55 PM
They work well enough, but will not give as much performance as ethernet cable or in many cases even wifi. It will, however, be easier than running cable and cheaper than wifi if you apartment's layout doesn't allow wifi to work effectively without extra equipment.

Rascal
07-30-2010, 6:47 PM
I use a Net Gear setup for my Blu-Ray player, since my computer is up stairs and the Blu-Ray player is down stairs in the family room. It works, but not as fast as a wired connection. I have never tried any of my laptops on it, but I think I'll try it out this weekend just to see how fast it is. I'll let you know how it goes.

sholling
07-30-2010, 7:00 PM
Ive used them and have since replaced them with 802.11N wifi. 802.11n with a good quality router and adapter tends to be faster. What I use are DLink DAP-1522 bridges in my entertainment centers in my family room and bedroom and a DLink DIR-825 router. That way I can keep the bridges on the almost unused 5ghz band and my laptop on the 2.4ghz band.

JDay
07-30-2010, 8:17 PM
I wouldn't waste my time or money on powerline kits. For one thing they only work between outlets on the same circuit.

snypr
07-30-2010, 9:03 PM
Rarely is there time to do the job right the first time, but usually time to do it 2 or 3 times. Do it right the first, run 6E and be done. if you lived closer, I would come over and do it for you to help out.

Digital_Boy
07-30-2010, 9:39 PM
They're okay if you want to access email or non-video/flash heavy web content. I tried a pair of the 80Mbps adapters, and the speeds were all over the place.

not4un
07-31-2010, 3:01 AM
I use Belkin powerline adapter and it works perfect w/video or anything I want to do. Very slight drop off in speed. Have never had an issue.

Milsurps
07-31-2010, 4:24 AM
Anyone ever tried out something like this? What were your experiences?

They work OK. Just not very fast. They do fill a niche where Wi-Fi won't/can't work.

DavidRSA
07-31-2010, 9:01 PM
Thanks for all the advice...

Wherryj
08-02-2010, 11:09 AM
I use a Net Gear setup for my Blu-Ray player, since my computer is up stairs and the Blu-Ray player is down stairs in the family room. It works, but not as fast as a wired connection. I have never tried any of my laptops on it, but I think I'll try it out this weekend just to see how fast it is. I'll let you know how it goes.

Your wireless should be more than fast enough. I have a wireless G router that I purchased for an XBOX.

It currently runs the Xbox and is quick enough to go into online games or stream from my computers upstairs, but it is also supplying my Oppo bluray player and a couple of laptops.

unlimitedrotations
08-03-2010, 6:11 AM
dont use the power adapter thing i work for a cable company and have run into those failing a lot just go wirless or run a cat 5 or 6 cable much more reliable