PDA

View Full Version : Must download apps for my new HTC EVO?

AlliedArmory
07-30-2010, 4:55 PM
I just picked up a couple of HTC EVO phones for me and my mother.

What are the "must get" apps? Which apps is it that can kill all the running apps that are running in the background?

JDay
07-30-2010, 5:01 PM
Advanced Task Killer is a must have, it's free in the Market. Scanner Radio is cool, you can listen to police scanners around the world. Pandora is a nice internet radio app. Zedge has tons of free ringtones, wallpapers, etc. You should also get Appbrain, makes installing/uninstalling programs much simpler. Caller ID Faker is also a cool app, fun for messing with friends. Aru Ringtones, Google Sky Map, GPS Essentials, Metal Detector, Phonalyzr, Google Latitude, Skype, SMS Backup, Trapster, UPS Mobile... bunch of other stuff you'll have to look through the Market to find.

AlliedArmory
07-30-2010, 5:04 PM
What is this bar code thing I hear about? Something about scanning a bar code and it find the app for you?

NorCal916
07-30-2010, 5:06 PM
M-spot is a free app that will let u access all your itunes music... lookout is a great AntiVirus app.... handsent sms is a better way to manage your texts...

JDay
07-30-2010, 5:11 PM
What is this bar code thing I hear about? Something about scanning a bar code and it find the app for you?

There's a bunch of those, Barcode Scanner is the one I use. Google even has one in the Market.

M-spot is a free app that will let u access all your itunes music... lookout is a great AntiVirus app.... handsent sms is a better way to manage your texts...

I forgot about Handsent, as far as anti-virus though you do not need one.

ETA: I forgot about Ballistics, a ballistics calculator.

Corbin Dallas
07-30-2010, 7:12 PM
Careful of apps, there was an app that downloaded all the users personal info and pics to a chinese server.

oldsmoboat
07-31-2010, 12:32 PM
I just picked up a couple of HTC EVO phones for me and my mother...

I can't find one anywhere. :(

JDay
07-31-2010, 5:58 PM
Another cool app is mSpot, it'll let you stream your music collection to your phone. The only downside is that it takes a while to sync your collection with their servers if you have a lot of music. You should also checkout the Layar browser, it's pretty neat.

JDay
07-31-2010, 8:12 PM
I just checked out Dolphin Browser, this is another must have. You'll want Dolphin Browser HD on your phone.

AlliedArmory
08-01-2010, 2:59 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Here are a few that I like.

The Schwartz Unsheathed
1980's Movie Trivia
1990's Movie Trivia
Barcode Scanner
Ringlert
IMDB
Stopwatch

UBFRAGD
08-01-2010, 11:28 AM
I don't have many good apps on my EVO either. (Radar Now sucks btw). All that preloaded Sprint/football/nascar/TV sucks and doesn't work at all/well, which is pretty amazing, since it's SPRINT!! TV my a$&.

All that facebook/talk/yelp/qik/peep/friend stream etc stuff sucks bigtime, did they think a bunch of teenagers had the dough for the EVO? Who cares about all that crap, I get enough social networking ON CALGUNS.NET. That crap is so unproductive, I guess it might be useful if I was unemployed, insecure, and needy.

AmazonMP3 and the like sucks. Maybe if I was totally into music, but at $1/song, I'll listen to the freakin' birds singing in the backyard instead. In fact, I'll just say it out loud, people who are that obsessed about music need to grow up. The FM radio feature SUCKS since you need a headphone as the antenna. What, no AM? CRAP!!!

Teeter? Are you freaking kidding me? That is so stupid I wouldn't let my kid play it.

Layar? Is that useful beyond a marketing/advertising viewpoint?

So far, the only useful apps are:
Maps
PDF viewer
youtube

That's three useful apps out of thousands. I think smartphones are for people who like to waste time. Although I won't be giving mine up anytime soon..........

UBFRAGD
08-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Can't manage my pics into folders by subject.

Can't remove pre-installed apps.

Screen size is 480x800, so I resized a bunch of my favorite background pics in PS3, but when I choose them for the wallpaper, they STILL HAVE TO BE CROPPED?!!?!?

WTH is Footprints? More "connectivity" crap?

Didn't pay $10 for the nice ballistic calculator. The two free ones SUCK.

Anybody looked into a good book reader for the EVO? Man, some of the reviews of the book readers available are pretty brutal.

EDIT: I freakin' love this phone, this is the best consumer electronic device I have bought since my HP8430 tower. It falls just short of perfection and I need to vent.

odysseus
08-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Careful of apps, there was an app that downloaded all the users personal info and pics to a chinese server.

Actually it is the new serious problem of privacy on smart phones now. There is an increasing problem of apps stealing your data on and forwarding nefariously. It's going to get worse.

JDay
08-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Can't remove pre-installed apps.

You can if you root the phone.

ETA: I bet the custom ROMs already have those apps removed.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=709267

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=619

UBFRAGD
08-01-2010, 12:21 PM
How about someone who knows this phone chime in on the subject of "rooting" a phone? Will that give me more control over the phone? Is it a hassle?

UBFRAGD
08-01-2010, 1:47 PM
Cool links JDay, thanks.

UBFRAGD
08-01-2010, 1:59 PM
OK, I just read the great rooting guide. Very interesting. Only 58 steps.

trapshot68
08-01-2010, 3:03 PM
Flashlight
Papertoss