PDA

View Full Version : Ken Masse Responds: Re: - $1,000 CCW Challenge

Jeff Rambo
04-24-2006, 3:43 PM
Earlier this month I sent Ken Masse an e-mail. He responded this morning. Take it for what it is worth.

Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 8:00 AM
To: jeff.rambo@brandergy.com
Subject: re: $1,000 Contribution Challenge

Jeff,

For the last several decades, Los Angeles County has been dominated by liberal politicians. Even when they were conservative politicians, the Sheriff's have tightly controlled the issuance of CCW's. I don't know the reason, just that it has been so. The practice of the current Sheriff has been to issue permits primarily to campaign contributors and Hollywood celebrities. He is particularly enamoured by the ranks of the rich and famous and spends most of his evenings in Hollywood and Beverly Hills.

I will not be issuing permits based on contributions to my campaign or based on a person's celebrity status. At this time, my position on CCW's is that they will be issued upon demonstrated and articulated need. As the next Sheriff of Los Angeles County, it is my intention to ensure that our county's permit policies are in compliance with existing California law. Upon taking office I will conduct a thorough review of the current policies and will make changes to those policies as appropriate.

Ken Masse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: <ken@kenmasse.com>
Subject: $1,000 Contribution Challenge
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:11:59 -0700

Mr. Masse,

I have presented this challenge to Mr. Meredith and I will do the same to you. Should you publically take the same stance as Lt. Bill Hunt (2006 Candidate for Orange County Sheriff) with regards to CCW permits, I will gladly donate $1,000 to your campaign. I will also urge friends, acquaintances, and associates to do the same. To reference Lt. Hunt's stance: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=267600&postcount=21

Thank you for your consideration.

Best Regards,

Jeffrey A. Rambo
Managing Director
323.302.4655 - Office
323.304.5333 - Cell & Data
877.305.9283 - Fax
jeff.rambo@brandergy.com
------------------------------------
Brandergy.com: advertising + design
http://www.brandergy.com
------------------------------------

kantstudien
04-24-2006, 3:48 PM
Is he supposed to be pro-CCW?

Major Miner II
04-24-2006, 3:50 PM
That's a pretty decent answer.

spaceburger
04-24-2006, 3:59 PM
It’s a weasel political answer:

“Upon taking office I will conduct a thorough review of the current policies and will make changes to those policies as appropriate.”

That means no commitment to do so or if asked, he looked at the matter and no appropriate action was identified. He cannot take a stance before hand?:mad:

EBWhite
04-24-2006, 4:03 PM
So don't vote for Ken Masse- You won't get a permit unless you special!

The Soup Nazi
04-24-2006, 4:05 PM
And you still need a "good reason" and probably self defense won't cut it.

Stanze
04-24-2006, 4:07 PM
It was a thinly veiled bribe offer, what did you expect him to say?

"Anyone that donates 1K or more and I'll consider a pro-CCW policy, leaving him open to fraud if he doesn't give a contributor a CCW."

That's how I read it anyways. Nice try.:)

Major Miner II
04-24-2006, 4:09 PM
It’s a weasel political answer:

“Upon taking office I will conduct a thorough review of the current policies and will make changes to those policies as appropriate.”

That means no commitment to do so or if asked, he looked at the matter and no appropriate action was identified. He cannot take a stance before hand?:mad:
Your point being?

It's a good answer for someone running for office.

You tell me. Does a statement like that give him a better chance, or one like:

"If I'm elected Sheriff, the streets will run gun-metal gray with the flood of legally carried concealed weapons because *I* will issue permits to anyone!"

lol

File that under "how to lose an election".

spaceburger
04-24-2006, 5:01 PM
Before analyzing what Masse said in his response I took the time to read
Lt. Hunt's stance.

Lt. Hunt shows some balls. Masse is a political noncommittal as expected. A true sense of change would glimmer if he responded differently but he chooses the easy way out. The ability to show some balls in responding to Rambo's challenge is what was expected. I did not expect Masse to accept the $1K.

Jeff Rambo
04-24-2006, 5:05 PM
It was a thinly veiled bribe offer, what did you expect him to say?

"Anyone that donates 1K or more and I'll consider a pro-CCW policy, leaving him open to fraud if he doesn't give a contributor a CCW."

That's how I read it anyways. Nice try.:)

Sorry, you are incorrect. It was not an attempt at a subtle bribe. If any of you recall a few weeks ago, I received an e-mail soliciting donations in the amount of $1,000 from his opponent (Don Meredith). I replied to Don that if he publicly took a stance along the same lines as Lt. Bill Hunt, I would gladly donate $1,000. I then sent the same challenge to Ken Masse. I never insinuated I wanted a CCW in exchange for my donation.

taloft
04-24-2006, 5:24 PM
Jeez Jeff, for a $1000.00 offer you should at least get syrup with those waffles.:D

At least you got him to say something, even though it doesn't look promising.

odysseus
04-24-2006, 5:33 PM
they will be issued upon demonstrated and articulated need.

Sounds like current status quo without saying it. Again, it's not shall-issue and means you have to demonstrate and articulate a need to some opinion holder, and what are the real substantive points that qualify? Seems like as it is now, which is heavily biased.

He sounded like he dodged the question. It wasn't a bad reply, but it wasn't good either.

Jeff Rambo
04-24-2006, 6:23 PM
I clarified something with Masse along with discussing other topics and received another prompt reply from him:

Jeff,

I was not implying that you were offering me money for a CCW. I was referring to the current Sheriff's policy of issuing only to big contributors and movie stars. It is time for change in the Sheriff's Department's leadership.

I am not prepared at this time to declare that LA County will be a "shall issue" county. That does not mean that this could not change in the future. I am just not willing to promise something that I will not be able to deliver on at a later date. I have always prided myself on being a man of my word and have made it a practice to follow through on my promises. I would ask you to keep in mind that this is a huge issue for LA County and that there are a lot of people who would vehemently oppose a candidate who was declaring that he would make Los Angeles a shall issue county as part of his campaign platform.

I spent my entire 35 year law enforcement career with the Sheriff's Department and have worked with literally thousands of LASD personnel, both sworn and professional staff. When the deputies' union, ALADS, recently voted to endorse a candidate for Sheriff, the incumbent received less than 10% of their votes. You may be interested to knowing that I was the deputies' choice to be their next Sheriff. They know me and what I stand for and they know that I will be the Sheriff who will ensure they have the tools needed to do their jobs. I can assure you that once you meet me you will be of the same opinion. I believe I am the type of Sheriff you will want to serve under.

Thanks,

Ken

While I do not feel all warm inside about his initial responses, I am leaning toward supporting him. From a Law Enforcement perspective, I have never heard anyone within LASD speak badly of him to include three instructors from when I was in the police academy who were with LASD.

Solidforce
04-24-2006, 6:38 PM
yeah, i agree.

I think he would be our best bet

-SF

Ten Rounder
04-24-2006, 6:50 PM
about a $50-100 answer. In my home county sherrif race, both stand behind CCW permits. Who ever wins I will not lose. Pays to live 1 hour north and beyond Sacramento. At home we are all own first citizen responders. I see the CHP patroling more than the sherrif.

NeoWeird
04-24-2006, 7:24 PM
The problem we have is that someone with the 'balls' to flat out say they are Pro CCW will not get elected, and to say you are Anti CCW loses you ALL the votes that you may be aiming for. If this was any other area in California, or the US for that matter, it would be different, but in LA you have to watch what you say on both sides.

He is obviously taking a written "undecided" stance, however in his words it would sounds as if he is more Pro CCW than not. Who knows, he may be a wolf in sheeps clothing, or maybe he is a sheep in wolves clothing with a sheep costume ontop to fool the Antis. It's all political Mind-**** agendas and I hate it etiher way. All I know is he isn't flat out Anti, because if he were he could just say it and win on that alone. He has some Pro CCW in him, and it's better than nothing.

linuxgunner
04-24-2006, 7:31 PM
In the real world, Ken Masse is saying the best things he could possibly be saying. Any stronger pro-CCW statement, and it could cost him the election and that wouldn't do us any good. He couldn't POSSIBLY be worse than Sheriff Baca.

Let's stop arguing and start supporting this guy. We are fools if we hold out for perfect.

I've also seen people opposing shall-issue bills because they think we should have Vermont carry. That's wonderful but back here in California, on Planet Earth, we have to deal with the situation we've got.

dwtt
04-24-2006, 10:16 PM
linusgunner is right. We should be supporting Masse. Send in your donation.
Those living in LA county can also volunteer to help his campaign. If Masse is elected and he acts like the current sheriff, then get rid of him next election, but we should give him a chance. I sent in a small donation, and I live in Fremont.

Mute
04-25-2006, 7:44 AM
Ken Masse's statement is more of a stance than anything from the Meredith Camp and we already know Baca's view on CCW.

Supernam
04-25-2006, 1:11 PM
Yes, many of you are correct. A Pro CCW statement in a liberal area is campaign suicide.

wangankin
04-26-2006, 10:25 AM
I never voted for sheriff before... Will this be a polling place deal or mail in ballot? I want to make sure I get to vote on this one!

linuxgunner
04-26-2006, 10:28 AM
I never voted for sheriff before... Will this be a polling place deal or mail in ballot? I want to make sure I get to vote on this one!

It will be on your regular ballot. If you go to the polls to vote, that's where it will be. If you have an "absentee ballot", it will be on the absentee ballot.

I'm glad to see this is stirring up some interest!

I bet Sheriff Baca never imagined that his issuance policies could be a liability.

CALI-gula
06-06-2006, 2:59 AM
After doing a lot of research and some personal verification, having been caught between Don Meredith and Ken Masse for Sheriff (to oust Baca), this being one of the more difficult choices on the primary elections, I will be voting for Ken Masse.

It is clear that of any of the candidates for LA County Sheriff to most likely lean toward a logical allowance for issue of CCW permits, with 2nd Amendment Rights in mind, it is Ken Masse. I do know his disgust over Baca issuing CCWs to friends, celebrities, and other "elite" acquaintances of Baca, has peaked as well as has mine. I have a parallel aversion to actors and people not even of this country being granted the ability to carry a firearm within California. What makes them any better than you or I ? In that regard, it is clear that Ken Masse sees everyone as deserving a shot at having a CCW permit.

Of course there will still be the classes, tests, and certifications - I don't think LA County will ever have "Shall Issue" unless the state eventually goes that route - so don't hold your breath. But if available to more of us than just certain highly-paid actors, and we ALL get a chance to take the classes, test, and certifications, then Ken Masse is the obvious choice.

I think he will be the only choice that moves it away from "establish good cause for a CCW" as Meredith still promotes the "prove your need" for a CCW because of your profession by which you work which is "high-risk or dangerous environment". I take that to mean high-profile (actor) and dangerous environment (you are a Sheriff's deputy). http://www.meredithforsheriff.com/page/ccw.pdf

Therefore, I am voting for Ken Masse!!

mblat
06-06-2006, 8:01 AM
After doing a lot of research and some personal verification, having been caught between Don Meredith and Ken Masse for Sheriff (to oust Baca), this being one of the more difficult choices on the primary elections, I will be voting for Ken Masse.

It is clear that of any of the candidates for LA County Sheriff to most likely lean toward a logical allowance for issue of CCW permits, with 2nd Amendment Rights in mind, it is Ken Masse. I do know his disgust over Baca issuing CCWs to friends, celebrities, and other "elite" acquaintances of Baca, has peaked as well as has mine. I have a parallel aversion to actors and people not even of this country being granted the ability to carry a firearm within California. What makes them any better than you or I ? In that regard, it is clear that Ken Masse sees everyone as deserving a shot at having a CCW permit.

Of course there will still be the classes, tests, and certifications - I don't think LA County will ever have "Shall Issue" unless the state eventually goes that route - so don't hold your breath. But if available to more of us than just certain highly-paid actors, and we ALL get a chance to take the classes, test, and certifications, then Ken Masse is the obvious choice.

I think he will be the only choice that moves it away from "establish good cause for a CCW" as Meredith still promotes the "prove your need" for a CCW because of your profession by which you work which is "high-risk or dangerous environment". I take that to mean high-profile (actor) and dangerous environment (you are a Sheriff's deputy). http://www.meredithforsheriff.com/page/ccw.pdf

Therefore, I am voting for Ken Masse!!

+1...............

Cobrarlc
06-06-2006, 8:23 AM
Voted For Ken Masse and urge others to do so today...

donger
06-06-2006, 9:33 AM
Voted For Ken Masse and urge others to do so today...

Same here!!

Solidforce
06-06-2006, 9:39 AM
voted for him too

-SF

Glock22Fan
06-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Ken is cagey about what he says as there are so many BHL's around and the media is amongst the worst of these. I've spoken with him and I think he is our best bet for quiet revolution. No, he won't be "shall issue," and I tend to agree with him that some people just can't be trusted with a gun, but he will be working towards the position that clean, law-abiding citizens should be allowed to carry. That's good enough for me.

So, I've voted for him and urge you all to do the same.

ligamentum flavum
06-06-2006, 1:32 PM
Ken Masse got my vote today as well.

ajwells
06-06-2006, 2:13 PM
Your point being?

It's a good answer for someone running for office.

You tell me. Does a statement like that give him a better chance, or one like:

"If I'm elected Sheriff, the streets will run gun-metal gray with the flood of legally carried concealed weapons because *I* will issue permits to anyone!"

lol

File that under "how to lose an election".

File that under "How to get my vote"