PDA

View Full Version : A few questions before my trip

FJ Cruising
07-30-2010, 1:39 PM
My girlfriend and I will be going Camping/Hunting for a few days in San Bernardino Nat. Forest next week. This will be our first hunting trip. I already checked with the local ranger and the area is open to rifles.

I am after Coyotes and Bobcat. I picked up my cat tags this morning and made my coyote caller from directions I found on the net. I will be using my Bushmaster AR with Hornady V-Max 55gr ammo.

My Girlfriend is after squrriels and rabbits. She loves my grandfathers Savage Model 4M .22Mag. She will be loaded with Hornady V-Max 30gr.

Now, my questions.
Can I have 10rds loaded in my AR for dogs and cats?
Can Jenny get rabbits and squrriels with the 22 or are they shotgun only?

Thanks for looking!
-Mike

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-30-2010, 2:09 PM
bobcat season doesn't open till October.

you may want to check the regs before heading out
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.asp

Big Jake
07-30-2010, 2:20 PM
You are fine for 10 round mags in your AR!

Your GF can get rabbits and squirrels with either .22 or shotgun unless the area you are hunting is designated for shotguns only. Check with DFG to see if the area you are hunting is designated for a particular firearm. Also, make sure you have your hunting license and cdl on your person in case you are stopped by game wardens!

FJ Cruising
07-30-2010, 2:22 PM
Thanks Rusty. I am aware that bobcat season doesnt open until October 15. I just stated I got my tags because I had said I wanted to hunt cats. Figured I might as well get the tags while I was already at the local DFG office picking up the current Regulations booklets.

FJ Cruising
07-30-2010, 2:26 PM
You are fine for 10 round mags in your AR!

Your GF can get rabbits and squirrels with either .22 or shotgun unless the area you are hunting is designated for shotguns only. Check with DFG to see if the area you are hunting is designated for a particular firearm. Also, make sure you have your hunting license and cdl on your person in case you are stopped by game wardens!

Thank you Big Jake. :thumbsup: Much appreciated!

Big Jake
07-30-2010, 2:29 PM
Thank you Big Jake. :thumbsup: Much appreciated!

Good luck and be safe. Watch out for snakes this time of year as well! :eek:

spectr17
07-30-2010, 3:42 PM
Can Jenny get rabbits and squrriels with the 22 or are they shotgun only?

You can't hunt tree squirrels in SBNF, only ground squirrels. You have to head north to Kern Co to be able to shoot tree squirrels. We're trying to change that reg but the local Squirrel Lovers Assoc. in Lake Arrowhead is tough to overcome.

toby
07-30-2010, 3:55 PM
Are you actually shooting from your FJ? or was that just for the pic?

FJ Cruising
07-30-2010, 4:11 PM
You can't hunt tree squirrels in SBNF, only ground squirrels. You have to head north to Kern Co to be able to shoot tree squirrels. We're trying to change that reg but the local Squirrel Lovers Assoc. in Lake Arrowhead is tough to overcome.

Good point, Thank you. Maybe i will print a dozen photos and make squrriel flash cards and quiz her before we go.

Are you actually shooting from your FJ? or was that just for the pic?

haha no, that was just for the photo.

jawbreaker
07-30-2010, 6:06 PM
You did say in the original post that you are after coyotes and bobcats, that is why he stated season isn't open until Oct.

Good luck out there.

FJ Cruising
07-30-2010, 7:44 PM
You did say in the original post that you are after coyotes and bobcats, that is why he stated season isn't open until Oct.

Good luck out there.

Yeah it does kinda sound like I intended to take a cat on this trip. I was thinking more along the lines of what I intend to hunt with my AR and 10 rd mags.

Had I not known about the season, Rusty would have saved my butt thats for sure.

Abesnake
07-30-2010, 9:53 PM
[QUOTE=FJ Cruising;4703845]Yeah it does kinda sound like I intended to take a cat on this trip. I was thinking more along the lines of what I intend to hunt with my AR and 10 rd mags.

Jist be sure that cat isn't hunting you, bub! Careful, careful.

cmth
07-30-2010, 10:53 PM
There's no season for yotes, they are good to go all year, but be sure you are using lead-free ammo on any large game or non-game (coyotes, ground squirrels) if you are in the Condor zone. Last time I checked, SBNF east of Cajon pass was outside the zone, but the map on the DFG's website is hard to define.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/docs/Ridley-TreeCondorPreservationAct.pdf

Good luck with your hunt.

LloydXmas250
07-31-2010, 1:23 AM
It's not in the Condor zone so no worries there. Only thing I'd be worried about is what zone you're in. SBNF is mostly shotgun only. There is a map you can buy online or at Bass Pro in Rancho that shows the zones (it's getting updated as we speak). 5shot works for DFG in San Bern. Co. so he would no the zones the best. I would not ask a forest ranger there. They're anti-hunting and always hassle people about guns in the forest and will likely not answer your question or just say you can't.

FJ Cruising
07-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks for all the help guys.

We will be staying at Horse Springs Campground on the back side of the mountain. Has anyone had much luck in that area?

Big Jake
07-31-2010, 2:13 PM
Thanks for all the help guys.

We will be staying at Horse Springs Campground on the back side of the mountain. Has anyone had much luck in that area?

Post up pics if you kill anything! :43: