PDA

View Full Version : Place to shoot in Fort Bragg

callcameron
07-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Can anybody tell me of a place to shoot in or close to Fort Bragg, CA? Preferably an outdoor, open range (i.e. no range master).

I'm planning a family reunion and I'd like to include shooting.

jben
07-30-2010, 2:26 PM
Check out Redwood Practical Shooters.

http://www.redwoodpracticalshooters.org/

callcameron
07-30-2010, 8:56 PM
Thanks. I've contacted the president of the club. Anybody know of some good clear places to shoot in the redwoods? I'm not looking for a regulated range, just a place to shoot.

jben
07-31-2010, 7:26 PM
You're talking about an area that is all private property, private timberland or Jackson Demonstration State Forest. I could be wrong, but I think you're out of luck finding a place to (legally) "just shoot" unless you have an in with a large landowner or know a forester with Campbell Timberlands or Mendocino Redwood Company.

Good luck!

callcameron
08-03-2010, 7:54 AM
What is the deal with "Jackson Demonstration State Forest"?? What the heck does that mean? I've seen the signs, but I didn't know what they meant.

jben
08-03-2010, 8:37 AM
The State owns something like 8 "demonstration" forests and they're operated by CDF. Their purpose is to conduct research on forestry, allow the public to see forestry/logging in action and to produce revenue to the state through logging.

Jackson does allow public access and apparently does allow hunting in season. If they allow hunting I suppose there is a chance they have a shooting range somewhere. But I've never heard of it.

Give them a call:

For More Information
California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection
Jackson Demonstration State Forest
802 North Main
Fort Bragg, CA 95437
(707) 964-5674

Interloper
08-03-2010, 6:10 PM
My hometown! I know exactly where you want to go!

Go south of town on hwy 1 to just after the little town of Caspar. Turn left (Away from the ocean) on Caspar Little Lake Rd. (also known as County Rd. 409). This road is paved for many miles, then it's gravel for a few. You come to a "T" in the road and the sign says "Little Lake Rd." Turn left and go just a few miles and you'll come to a huge gravel pit. This is where the locals shoot. There are no tables or formal targets. Bring your own gear and pack out your trash.

I used to spend every weekend out there blasting merrily away. Total driving time from F.B is maybe 20 minutes.

If you need any more directions, PM me. I wonder if I know your family? Good luck!