PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help with some COE info/links?

Knifemaker
07-30-2010, 11:33 AM
I tried a search but still combing through everything that came up, will try ATF website too.

Here is the question, I need something to take into a local dealer that says its ok for someone with a C&R FFL03 and a COE to do a DROS transfer buying my gun and carrying it home with them. We are both from CA and my dealer understands the C&R but not how the COE lets them walk out with the gun without having a Ca dealers license number, she is talking about the dealer number that FFL01 dealers use to get a gun shipped to or from them.

I have a guy that is buying a C&R pistol from me, he is driving here to pick it up. When I bought the gun it was shipped to my dealer from out of state. Now I am selling this to a C&R and COE holder that is driving three hours to pick it up and wants to carry it home with him which is fine because he has his COE. My dealer has never done this before and is reluctant to release the pistol. I just need something in writing from the ATF or a link she can read and understand that this is ok, understand being the key point here:~) Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Matt

Flopper
07-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Don't bother with ATF; COE's are CA specific.

ATF will likely have no idea what you're talking about, and they definitely won't have any relevant input.

Knifemaker
07-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Thats a start, thanks.

ke6guj
07-30-2010, 12:21 PM
12078(t)(1) The waiting period described in Sections 12071 or 12072 shall not apply to the sale, delivery, loan, or transfer of a firearm that is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or its successor, by a dealer to a person who is licensed as a collector pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto who has a current certificate of eligibility issued to him or her by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 12071. On the date that the delivery, sale, or transfer is made, the dealer delivering the firearm shall transmit to the Department of Justice an electronic or telephonic report of the transaction as is indicated in subdivision (b) or (c) of Section 12077. per that section, there is no waiting period for C&R firearms transfered to a person witha C&R+COE. the dealer will do a standard DROS (and 4473, even though federal law does not require a 4473 when an 01FFL is transfering a C&R firearm to a C&R FFL), but the buyer can take it home immediately.

and in the CADOJ FAQ:

18.Are there any exemptions to the waiting period?

For most people - no. However certain exemptions do exist for the following:

a.For most people - no. However certain exemptions do exist for the following:

b.Firearms dealers and persons who have obtained special weapons permits issued by DOJ are exempt from the waiting period.

c.Persons with curio and relic collector's licenses issued by the ATF and who have a valid Certificate of Eligibility issued by the DOJ are exempt from the waiting period only when purchasing curio and relic firearms.
(PC sections 12078 (a)(r)(t))

Knifemaker
07-30-2010, 1:26 PM
Your awesome, thank you very much!
Matt

chrisw
07-31-2010, 7:39 AM
I was looking for this info too. Thanks!

tenpercentfirearms
07-31-2010, 7:43 AM
Also you can help your dealer out and let them know they will do a Curio/Relic/Olympic Pistol/Exempt and then use the drop down "COLLECTOR" for the Waiting Period Exemptions. If they want to they could probably even put the COE number in the spot that says CFD Number.