PDA

View Full Version : "certain single-action revolvers"

cadjak
04-24-2006, 1:00 PM
The approved list isn't specific about which single action revolvers can be bought in California. What about Freedom Arms, Magnum Research BFR, and Ruger Blackhawks? It just says, "certain single-action revolvers".

CALI-gula
04-24-2006, 1:16 PM
The actual law clarifies it by barrel length, and overall length of the gun. The list you are accessing apparently does not include the actual law text.

Go to the DOJ Firearms website and peruse - you'll find it. It's in there; early on after SB-15 passed, and more than once, I had referred to it to indicate to encourage many online gun sellers to remove "Not For Sale in CA" from their descriptions for most single-action revolvers; and now single-shot guns like Thomspon Contenders are exempt as well, as of 1/1/06.

Good luck.

bwiese
04-24-2006, 1:17 PM
The approved list isn't specific about which single action revolvers can be bought in California. What about Freedom Arms, Magnum Research BFR, and Ruger Blackhawks? It just says, "certain single-action revolvers".

"Certain" means as specified in Penal Code by dimensions/characteristics. They don't give a hoot about brand. Basically it has to be at least a 5-shot, have a minimum barrel length (3"), and a minimum overall length (7.5").

Any unmodified Ruger, Freedom Arms, Taurus, Magnum Research, or Colt SA revolver will fill the bill.

Even if modified to NOT comply with the above restrictions (quoted exactly below) such modded guns could still be PPT'd to you.

12133.(a) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-action revolver that has at least a 5-cartridge capacity with a barrel length of not less than three inches, and meets any of the following specifications:
(1) Was originally manufactured prior to 1900 and is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(2) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.
(3) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled and that is currently approved for importation into the United States pursuant to the provisions of paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of Section 925 of Title 18 of the United States Code.

cadjak
04-24-2006, 1:27 PM
Finally, a gun that I shoot that is not going to require F. Lee Bailey and a constitutional ammendment for me to legally purchase. Thanks for clearing that up for me.