PDA

View Full Version : Kel-Tec Sub 9

Mr. Casull
07-30-2010, 10:02 AM
I have a Kel-Tec Sub 9 (9mm) rifle that I purchased in 1999. It folds in half and when folded it can't be fired as the breech is open. It has a pistol grip that accepts S&W double stack magazines. It is not on the assult weapons list, but since it has a pistol grip (like a 1911) it would seem to fit the criteria of an AW. The Kel-Tec 2000 is being sold now in either 9mm or 40 and also folds in half, but will fire when folded (so I'm told). It is being sold with a bullet button.

Any thoughts about it? Anyone out there able to make a BB for it. I asked one of the out of state sellers and they said they don't have a BB for the Sub 9.

Also does anybody know what the rules are on the MecTech. It is a barrel and stock that accepts a 1911 frame. The barrel is a Wilson and it is very accurate at short ranges. Dillon used to sell them and so did some gun stores locally. Also not on the AW list. Comments?

Untamed1972
07-30-2010, 12:19 PM
I have a Kel-Tec Sub 9 (9mm) rifle that I purchased in 1999. It folds in half and when folded it can't be fired as the breech is open. It has a pistol grip that accepts S&W double stack magazines. It is not on the assult weapons list, but since it has a pistol grip (like a 1911) it would seem to fit the criteria of an AW. The Kel-Tec 2000 is being sold now in either 9mm or 40 and also folds in half, but will fire when folded (so I'm told). It is being sold with a bullet button.

Yes.....with a pistol grip and detachable mag it is considered an AW by features.

Any thoughts about it? Anyone out there able to make a BB for it. I asked one of the out of state sellers and they said they don't have a BB for the Sub 9.

check out this thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=324729

Also does anybody know what the rules are on the MecTech. It is a barrel and stock that accepts a 1911 frame. The barrel is a Wilson and it is very accurate at short ranges. Dillon used to sell them and so did some gun stores locally. Also not on the AW list. Comments?

I beleive per ATF once a butstock is attached then it is considered a rifle and cannot be converted back into a pistol. Also NFA rules would apply if the barrel is less then 16" long.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
07-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Don't have any comment regarding the Sub 9 that hasn't already been said.

The Mech Tech, on the other hand, carries two issues.

First is the Federal SBR issue. If you install your pistol into the Mech Tech with a barrel over 16" in length, you have made a rifle. You cannot legally make that rifle back into a pistol unless you have obtained a Federal tax stamp.

Second is the California AW issue. You would be required to lock the magazine (see the Flow Chart for analysis).

scotthmt
07-30-2010, 5:09 PM
Yes.....with a pistol grip and detachable mag it is considered an AW by features.

check out this thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=324729

I beleive per ATF once a butstock is attached then it is considered a rifle and cannot be converted back into a pistol. Also NFA rules would apply if the barrel is less then 16" long.

I believe you're wrong, or you dont know what a sub 9 is. i think he should be okay since the magazine is inside the pistol grip, someone correct me if i am wrong, i dont think he should need a bullet button.

Edit: Sorry I think I am wrong.

Mr. Casull
07-31-2010, 11:59 AM
The Mech Tech barrel is over 16" long. In reviewing Mech Tech's website they still sell this unit. They make no mention that once you attach a lower to it that you can't put your lower back on your 1911 upper.