PDA

View Full Version : AB 2123: Lead ammo ban

RRangel
04-24-2006, 10:09 AM
This bill is back again even after it was clearly defeated last year. This requires your attention because it's a prime example of how gun banners take incremental steps to do away with our rights.

You can see the front page or visit this link for more information:
http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml?summary=ab2123

AMMO BAN
(Nava) Description: Would prohibit the possession of any ammunition other than nonlead ammunition when hunting within areas of California as determined by the commission. The bill would require the Fish and Game Commission to establish, by regulation, a public process to certify ammunition as nonlead ammunition, and to define nonlead ammunition. The bill would also declare the Legislature's intent to protect vulnerable wildlife species, as provided.
Latest Info: AB 2123 is currently assigned to the Assembly Water, Parks & Wildlife Committee (http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml#contactinfo). No scheduled hearing date.

johnny_22
04-24-2006, 10:52 AM
When discussed last time:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=31378&highlight=2123

It seemed like some thought it did not apply to their target shooting/IPSC/IDPA hobby.

If this passes you will not have a choice anymore as to what you shoot outside; in the SF Bay Area, Chabot and Metcalf are on park land. Also, no lead-free 22 rimfire is available.

Please write and call to kill this new version of the bill.

chris
04-24-2006, 11:13 PM
since e-mails get deleted and faxes get trashed. someone has already said call these guys. next is to flood them with letters opposing this lame bill. so if you send them letters they cannot ignore it. i have no idea how many members are here but each of us need to send one to them. and when they get all these letters they cannot ignore it. their staff will lose their minds if they have one

Greg Beck
04-25-2006, 7:03 AM
Is the lead ammo ban about our condors getting poisoned from shot up animals eaten by them? Check Norma's ammo web site. They are opposed to lead free ammo as its impossible to get bullet expansion for humane kills. Copper bullets, toxic and only expand at very high velocitys. Tungsten/ nickle bullets are a carcinigenic.

Inoxmark
04-25-2006, 8:49 AM
Check Norma's ammo web site. They are opposed to lead free ammo as its impossible to get bullet expansion for humane kills. Copper bullets, toxic and only expand at very high velocitys. Tungsten/ nickle bullets are a carcinigenic.Banning those bullets too will be the logical next step as it is impossible to make a humane kill.

mikehaas
04-25-2006, 3:53 PM
04/25/2006 - AB 2123 failed in the Assembly Water, Parks & Wildlife Committee.

In a major bi-partisan defeat, Democrats Baca, Matthews and Parra joined with Republicans to send a strong message to the bill's author. As is the custom in Sacramento, the bill was granted reconsideration so it can return for another vote. We will continue watching this bill closely. GREAT JOB ALL!

http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?summary=ab2123

(Please distribute this message far and wide.)

johnny_22
04-28-2006, 3:30 PM
Is the lead ammo ban about our condors getting poisoned from shot up animals eaten by them? Check Norma's ammo web site. They are opposed to lead free ammo as its impossible to get bullet expansion for humane kills. Copper bullets, toxic and only expand at very high velocitys. Tungsten/ nickle bullets are a carcinigenic.

http://www.crpa.org/showpages.asp?pid=1144 goes into detail on one instance.

What I found funny was that Nava first modification was to remove rimfire from the lead-free requirement, and call it a condor-saving bill.

EBWhite
04-28-2006, 3:54 PM
Glad to see its dead. If it did become law, it would not have been followed by many...

mikehaas
04-29-2006, 1:54 AM
Now, I never said "dead". Bills never die, until the 2-year legislative session ends. (Even then, they can be re-introduced next session.)

At any time, any bill can "rise from the dead". Doesn't happen very often because after a few defeats, a bill becomes "politically dead". But not officially.

Yes, AB2123 went down IN FLAMES, but was granted "reconsideration". Bills are almost always granted "reconsideration", even NRA's bills, if they fail a vote. It means the author can try again. A bill's author is basically free to keep trying to pass his/her bill, but usually stop after a few attempts. Better things to spend one's political capital on, y'know?

The bad guys also pull tricks like "gut & amend"... give a losing bill a new bill number, but otherwise not change anything. If a well-known bill they want to pass becomes a "hot potato", sometimes that's all they need to do to feel safe enough pass it. "No, I didn't vote for AB-so-and-so (I voted for it's identical replacement)..." It has been known to work.

All of this is why we need a good, experienced, eagle-eyed lobbyist in the capitol watching out for this kind of stuff (we have one). And it's why we want to back him up. By watching http://calnra.com/legs.shtml - one can find out what he learns - and when "ground action" is needed too! (Sometimes its within hours.)

Mike

chris
04-29-2006, 2:33 AM
the CRPA has a full time guy in the capitol watching this kind of stuff. is anyone here a member?

johnny_22
04-29-2006, 6:54 AM
The California Rifle and Pistol Association has less of a stigma associated with it than the NRA.
I think this helps them get converts easier in the State Capitol.

otteray
04-29-2006, 8:02 PM
Yep, I'm a CRPA Member as well as NRA.
Soon, I'm joining GOC www.gunownersca.com (part of GOA).
Sam Paredes of Gun Owners of Calif spoke at our club last week, here in Santa Cruz, and they are really on the ball, lobbying in Sacramento, working hard to maintain our rights and to get some of them back, too.
Hey, all three memberships are now cheaper than a tank of gas! ;)

Dont Tread on Me
04-29-2006, 8:13 PM
the CRPA has a full time guy in the capitol watching this kind of stuff. is anyone here a member?

I went to my first meet this week and there talk of a full time guy in CA as well as employing lobby companies.

I was surprised by how sophisticated the pro-gun movement is. All they need is more voters contacting politicians at the right times.