PDA

View Full Version : crawdad baskets/traps

dirtracer24
07-29-2010, 10:42 PM
im looking to see if anybody knows where i can find these or if someone has them and wants to part with them. Ive never been but a buddy says you plant the traps with bait and go frog for a couple of hours then come back and pull your traps. I live in modesto and I am willing to travel a hour or so to pick these up at the right price, which i have no idea of 20 or 30 bucks maybe I have no clue.
thanks for looking dirtracer24

Trapper
07-29-2010, 11:14 PM
A good friend of mine makes his own traps with 2 liter bottles. He cuts off the top then turns it inside out staples it in place and baits it with a can off cat food.

5shot
07-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Looks like they're pretty simple and cheap to make.

http://www.wut2c.com/Activities/Survival%20Trips/Food/Collection/Crayfish/crawdad%20trap.htm

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=527830

rg_1111@yahoo.com
07-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Your best bet would be local bait shop. There going to run from $25-35 each.
Or you can build your own. You will need half by one wire,Avery wire, #9 wire and J clamps and J clamp plyers.
I have built Hundred's of traps. If you need more information PM me.

gator28
07-29-2010, 11:30 PM
I live in sonoma county and cvs carries them around here.

duckman1
07-30-2010, 3:38 PM
You can buy them at Cabela's and in Modesto Auto Life Sporting Goods had them at one time. It's kind of a crap shoot their now, good luck.

edlacy
07-31-2010, 5:42 AM
They've got them at Bass Pro Shop in Manteca.

Shoot-it
07-31-2010, 3:18 PM
Make your own.
Go to hardware store by that small square wire meshing like 1/4.make a good size roll like 10" diameter zip tie it together than make 2 funnels out off the rest and zip tie them in, Cut out a 4 " x 4" door and make hinges of off zip tie.and with a can of tuna with some holes you can catch a ton of crawdads.

We have a local canal that runs threw our place and I catch the all the time.The tails make good catfish bait and good to eat to.

mschliebs
07-31-2010, 4:06 PM
When I was a kid and the family went fishing down on the Blue or Missouri rivers, the grown-ups gave us string with a peace of pork tied to it. We just dangled in the water and the crawdads would grab hold of it and we would play them into a can with holes punched in it. What do you need a trap for? But then, I'm from Missouri.

vahtryn
07-31-2010, 4:15 PM
We used to make them out of wire coat hangers and old fishing nets when I lived in the bayou. Worked like a charm. Put a chicken wing in the center, and the little guys couldn't get out. you'd pull tons of them out.

scotthmt
07-31-2010, 4:53 PM
Can anyone help me and let me know where I can catch a good amount to make some food with? I love to eat crawfish. i am willing to trade a great baitfish/smelt catching spot I have or i can even catch them for whoever and trade them for info on the spot. I llloOOOvvvVVeeeeEEE crawfish!

Shoot-it
07-31-2010, 11:15 PM
Where do you live.Your location on your profile helps a lot when people want to help.

Look for irrigation canals the dirt kind not concret. Highway 140 heading towards gustine a few sloughs have them and 165 towards Los banos.

Abesnake
08-01-2010, 9:09 PM
Can anyone help me and let me know where I can catch a good amount to make some food with? I love to eat crawfish. i am willing to trade a great baitfish/smelt catching spot I have or i can even catch them for whoever and trade them for info on the spot. I llloOOOvvvVVeeeeEEE crawfish!

Whole Foods. :rofl2:

dirtracer24
08-01-2010, 10:23 PM
thanks for all the replys fellas. About two minutes after I posted the original question i found them at bass pro for $15. i guess were gonna set the traps off some bridge over a dirt canal in gustine then drive the levees with a spot light and go for frogs. ive never gone before but it sounds pretty fun I ll let you know how we did.

exklusve
08-02-2010, 10:57 AM
I've always liked boiling them up with some Crab Boil (look in the seafood seasonings/creole seasoning area of your supermarket) corn on the cob and red potatoes.

If you catch them fresh, cook them the same day, preferrably soon after catching them. Put them in a bucket of salt water so they puke up whats inside, rinse in clean water, and then toss them in the boiling water with the other ingredients.

Been a while since i've had a mudbug cookout.

Good luck man!

blackberg
08-02-2010, 3:37 PM
ive wondered, any places for crawdads in the LA area?
-bb

professionalcoyotehunter
08-02-2010, 3:42 PM
I seen a dozen at Kmart for around $10 each last night.

professionalcoyotehunter
08-02-2010, 3:42 PM
ive wondered, any places for crawdads in the LA area?
-bb

Elizabeth lake has them so does the aqueduct.

Jclay510
08-03-2010, 10:01 AM
im looking to see if anybody knows where i can find these or if someone has them and wants to part with them. Ive never been but a buddy says you plant the traps with bait and go frog for a couple of hours then come back and pull your traps. I live in modesto and I am willing to travel a hour or so to pick these up at the right price, which i have no idea of 20 or 30 bucks maybe I have no clue.
thanks for looking dirtracer24

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_44701_100011014_100000000_100011000?cmCat= CROSSSELL_SEARCH

I used one of these 2 weeks ago at Bear River Reservoir and caught 95 the first day. Throw them close to shore with a can of cheap cat food.

JeffPro
08-03-2010, 10:05 AM
They love bacon also.

Bearclaw
08-03-2010, 11:03 AM
When I was a kid and the family went fishing down on the Blue or Missouri rivers, the grown-ups gave us string with a peace of pork tied to it. We just dangled in the water and the crawdads would grab hold of it and we would play them into a can with holes punched in it. What do you need a trap for? But then, I'm from Missouri.

I do the same thing. I just get a stick of bamboo from near the creek, tie some string to it, and tie a piece of hot dog or chicken liver to that. Give it to the kids and let them catch some crawdads. then once the kids catch enough of em, I'll cook em up in some cheap beer and everybody gets to eat what they caught!

dirtracer24
08-03-2010, 5:24 PM
Im surprized to hear you getting them at bear ive been fishing there for twenty years and never noticed any crawdads. I guess i was too busy looking for that monster trout that i still never caught. thanks for the advice im looking forward to going it sounds like a blast and i hear they taste pretty good.

anybody got any advice on cooking frog legs.
ive eaten them before but it was years ago in angels camp when the frog leg place was still there.