PDA

View Full Version : Shooting in Kern County in the Mojave

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
07-29-2010, 6:31 PM
My buddies and I want to go shooting in the desert. I don't have any experience desert shooting in So Cal, so I want to check the legality of the matter.

Is it legal to shoot in the Mojave Desert in Kern County? Is Kern County in BLM territory? Is the local Kern County law amiable to shooting? How is the jack rabbit hunting out there, if any?

Any helpful tips or experiences would be greatly appreciated, as we are heading out this saturday morning.

Thanks guys,

Chris

Big Jake
07-29-2010, 6:50 PM
My buddies and I want to go shooting in the desert. I don't have any experience desert shooting in So Cal, so I want to check the legality of the matter.

Is it legal to shoot in the Mojave Desert in Kern County? Is Kern County in BLM territory? Is the local Kern County law amiable to shooting? How is the jack rabbit hunting out there, if any?

Any helpful tips or experiences would be greatly appreciated, as we are heading out this saturday morning.

Thanks guys,

Chris

Most of the area in and around the town of Mojave is BLM land and it is all legal to shoot and hunt. There is a ton of rabbits and there are coyotes as well, however, this time of year you need to hunt them (Coyotes) at first light or sunset because they tend to be out at those time due to it being to hot during the middle of the day. Be carefull of snakes as well as they are out this time of year!

Be careful up around Jawbone Canyon and Red Rock as parts of it are state park and guns are a big no-no there. The line between state park and BLM land is not well marked.

There are some great places just West of the town of Mojave!

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
07-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Most of the area in and around the town of Mojave is BLM land and it is all legal to shoot and hunt. There is a ton of rabbits and there are coyotes as well, however, this time of year you need to hunt them (Coyotes) at first light or sunset because they tend to be out at those time due to it being to hot during the middle of the day. Be carefull of snakes as well as they are out this time of year!

Be careful up around Jawbone Canyon and Red Rock as parts of it are state park and guns are a big no-no there. The line between state park and BLM land is not well marked.

There are some great places just West of the town of Mojave!

Thanks Big Jake!

So would I just park my car in the city of Mojave and walk west? How far outside the city limits do I have to walk out in order to be safe to shoot? 1,000 feet?

Any tips on what to bring to field dress rabbits? I'm thinking: gloves, sharp knife, lots of water, couple garbage bags, and cooler full of ice. Am I missing anything? Should I bring targets to shoot at?

I'm also wondering if the fires will have any affect on my trip. Hmm.

professionalcoyotehunter
07-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Be careful around Mojave I used to live there off Oak Creek road. You can hunt around the city as long as you are a safe distance but you may not recreationally shoot unless posted.

E Pluribus Unum
07-30-2010, 11:55 AM
You can hunt around the city as long as you are a safe distance but you may not recreationally shoot unless posted.

Why??? Where is the prohibition against recreational shooting? I live in Bakersfield and have never heard of this.

professionalcoyotehunter
07-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Some BLM land prohibits it in LA county and some BLM in Kern. Not all of it but you have to mind your P & Q's when you are out there. Since no specific location was given I have to warn him at least.

http://www.californiadesert.gov/additional.php?more=noralg&act=hu

E Pluribus Unum
07-30-2010, 12:20 PM
HUNTING IN BLM MANAGED WILDERNESS AREAS: Shooting and hunting are allowed in BLM managed wilderness areas. However, the use of motorized or mechanized vehicles and equipment is not permitted in designated wilderness.

STATE LAWS: Firearms must not be discharged within 150 yards of residences, buildings, campsites, occupied areas, recreational areas or domestic livestock. No shooting from or across any road. No shooting from a vehicle.

COUNTY ORDINANCES
Riverside County - No shooting within 300 yards of roads, campgrounds or occupied dwellings. No shooting 1/2 hour after sunset or before sunrise.
San Bernardino County: - County has designated some areas for shotgun use only; other areas are closed to shooting except for legal hunting. Contact the San Bernardino County Office of Special Districts at 909/387-5940 For more Information.
Kern and Inyo Counties: Open to shooting on BLM managed lands.
Imperial County: No shooting within 300 yards of roads or campgrounds. No shooting 1/2 hour after sunset or before sunrise.
San Diego County: Open to shooting on BLM managed lands. Possession or discharge of steel core armor piercing ammunition is illegal. No shooting in unincorporated areas. Orange and Los Angeles Counties: Closed to all shooting on public (BLM) lands.

By your own reference, recreational shooting is completely legal in all BLM lands within Kern County as long as he does not violate any of the bolded areas above.

professionalcoyotehunter
07-30-2010, 12:30 PM
There are different types of BLM land to watch out for.

E Pluribus Unum
07-30-2010, 12:37 PM

Please explain... I am not being a smart arse... I really want to know, because I am all over Kern county and the last thing I want is to break the law and end up having to "donate" my $1800 M1A to the Kern County Sheriff.

As far as I can tell, only motor vehicles are prohibited in certain areas... but even in those areas, you can recreationally shoot provided you hike in.

Trapper
07-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Tons of BLM land open for shooting and hunting around Ridgecrest.

Trapper
07-30-2010, 12:40 PM

Different types of BLM land???????

professionalcoyotehunter
07-30-2010, 12:41 PM
I would really need to know what area to explain it in further detail without giving away some great hunting spots of mine.

E Pluribus Unum
07-30-2010, 1:19 PM
I would really need to know what area to explain it in further detail without giving away some great hunting spots of mine.

Uhhh Huuu.... SUUURE.... ;)

So... there are areas that are different than normal BLM land in Kern County where recreational shooting is outlawed, but hunting is legal and the disclosure of the law, or regulation that makes recreational shooting illegal would divulge the location such that people would run to that location and kill all the game you hunt there while they shoot. That must be a very small area for it to be that specific.

Big Jake
07-30-2010, 1:31 PM
FYI guys, listen to the advice from PCH. He truly is an expert and knows what he is doing!

Big Jake
07-30-2010, 1:34 PM
Thanks Big Jake!

So would I just park my car in the city of Mojave and walk west? How far outside the city limits do I have to walk out in order to be safe to shoot? 1,000 feet?

Any tips on what to bring to field dress rabbits? I'm thinking: gloves, sharp knife, lots of water, couple garbage bags, and cooler full of ice. Am I missing anything? Should I bring targets to shoot at?

I'm also wondering if the fires will have any affect on my trip. Hmm.

As for the fires that remains to be seen. There is a bridge that you can drive over heading West. It is just past the Denny's resturant. Go West for several miles and turn left or South on one of the many dirt roads in the area. There may be other people out there so be careful and watch for them!

E Pluribus Unum
07-30-2010, 1:37 PM
FYI guys, listen to the advise from PCH. He truly is an expert and knows what he is doing!

I'm just pulling his chain a little bit.... inferring ignorance... manipulating his pride a bit...so that he'll give up the goods. :)

What's his advise in this thread? Recreational shooting is legal except in areas he wont say? What good is that?

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
07-30-2010, 1:54 PM
Hey guys I really do appreciate the discourse and input. The main objective is legal, fun shooting! :)

As for the fires that remains to be seen. There is a bridge that you can drive over heading West. It is just past the Denny's resturant. Go West for several miles and turn left or South on one of the many dirt roads in the area. There may be other people out there so be careful and watch for them!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=denny's+mojave+california&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=39.235538,106.787109&ie=UTF8&hq=denny's&hnear=Mojave,+Kern,+California&ll=35.057472,-118.175125&spn=0.004742,0.013036&t=h&z=17

I'm assuming you're talking about the Oak Creed Rd. overpass? So if I just drive a couple miles west down this road into BLM land, and follow all other procedure (150 feet from anything), I'm good to go?

professionalcoyotehunter
07-30-2010, 1:58 PM
I'm just pulling his chain a little bit.... inferring ignorance... manipulating his pride a bit...so that he'll give up the goods. :)

What's his advise in this thread? Recreational shooting is legal except in areas he wont say? What good is that?

It is good so that the OP does his homework before he goes out and makes a huge mistake. I am not trying to discourage him in any way.

here is a map I hate giving out but it shows all BLm hurry and bookmark it before I delete it. Learn how to use it and it will be your perfect guide. I will not give out specific hunting ares so you will have to zoom on your area and select all BLM ares to use it.
http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/MapLSIS.jsp

Thanks Big Jake

sniper4usmc
07-30-2010, 2:03 PM
I used to go Coyote Hunting with my father near Movaje Airport

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
07-30-2010, 2:36 PM
It is good so that the OP does his homework before he goes out and makes a huge mistake. I am not trying to discourage him in any way.

here is a map I hate giving out but it shows all BLm hurry and bookmark it before I delete it. Learn how to use it and it will be your perfect guide. I will not give out specific hunting ares so you will have to zoom on your area and select all BLM ares to use it.
http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/MapLSIS.jsp

Thanks Big Jake

Thanks alot for the link PCH. I printed out all the pdfs around Mojave. So all the coordinated zones in orange (BLM lands) are good to go?

professionalcoyotehunter
07-30-2010, 2:38 PM
Thanks alot for the link PCH. I printed out all the pdfs around Mojave. So all the coordinated zones in orange (BLM lands) are good to go?

Yes they should be good to go. Be careful and have fun out there.

portegee
07-30-2010, 3:21 PM
When I look at those maps they don't seem to acount for private land or am I not using the layers correctly?

professionalcoyotehunter
07-30-2010, 3:30 PM
I dont believe it will. I have never tried to so if you find a way just let me know.