PDA

View Full Version : Need Help re Barrels

Brawt
07-29-2010, 6:19 PM
Hello guys,

Im a newbie here from San Diego.

Im gonna build an upper assembly for my AR and there are few questions i would like to be enlighten berfore i proceed, especially our laws here.

Anyway, here they are:

What are the legal barrel lengths of m4s or Ar-15s that are legal here in CA?

Is it that simple to just buy a legal-barrel from a website than have it ship here in my place?

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Fjold
07-29-2010, 7:04 PM
Rifle barrels must be 16" long. You can do this by buying a 16" or longer barrel or a shorter barrel with a permanently mounted muzzle device that makes the assembly 16" or longer.

Barrels can be shipped and received without any special precautions.

reggie 00
07-29-2010, 7:15 PM
You can have the whole complete Upper sent direct to you.

Some distributors have "company policy" not to ship to California, but that is because...... well i cant think of an nice way to say it so i wont. There are some of the better distributors here on Cal guns and you should find what you need with them, or stick with the Bigger named ones: Midway, Brownells, etc.

And speaking of Barrels, which one are you going to get?

If you are going to stay traditional, do what i didnt and look into the .223 Wylde.

Brawt
07-29-2010, 7:32 PM
You can have the whole complete Upper sent direct to you.

Some distributors have "company policy" not to ship to California, but that is because...... well i cant think of an nice way to say it so i wont. There are some of the better distributors here on Cal guns and you should find what you need with them, or stick with the Bigger named ones: Midway, Brownells, etc.

And speaking of Barrels, which one are you going to get?

If you are going to stay traditional, do what i didnt and look into the .223 Wylde.

Thanks for the quick inputs.

Hmmm so i can purchase a complete upper assembly as long as it complies with our legal CA barrel (+16in) in it? Plus it can be shipped directly to my doorstep w/o FFL or ATF stuffs or whatever needed. Am i right?

Re on what barrel, we'll i haven't decide on what to purchase yet.hehe. I'm concerned about legal issues first.

Brawt
07-29-2010, 7:34 PM
Rifle barrels must be 16" long. You can do this by
Barrels can be shipped and received without any special precautions.

So with complete upper assembly too?

markw
07-29-2010, 8:25 PM
The only part of an AR that has to go through an FFL is the lower receiver as it's the part with the serial number. Everything else is just gun parts. Provided you have a legal lower receiver and legally configured rifle, you're good to go. Here's a flowchart to make sure you're legal.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Brawt
07-29-2010, 8:49 PM
The only part of an AR that has to go through an FFL is the lower receiver as it's the part with the serial number. Everything else is just gun parts. Provided you have a legal lower receiver and legally configured rifle, you're good to go. Here's a flowchart to make sure you're legal.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Thanks a lot for the flow chart.

Last question:
Can you have multiple upper receiver assemblies for just a single lower? If yes, how many?

e.g. 3 upper assembly on a single lower receiver

383green
07-29-2010, 8:56 PM
Can you have multiple upper receiver assemblies for just a single lower? If yes, how many?

Yes. Limited only by your bank account and storage space.

Flopper
07-30-2010, 11:37 AM
so i can purchase a complete upper assembly as long as it complies with our legal CA barrel (+16in) in it? Plus it can be shipped directly to my doorstep w/o FFL or ATF stuffs or whatever needed. Am i right?

16" barrel isn't just a CA thing, it's what the entire US has to deal with.

A CA specific length issue is an overall length of 30" for a centerfire rifle in the SHORTEST configuration which it can be fired.

Federally, a rifle only has to be 26" OAL in its LONGEST configuration.

And welcome to Calguns!