PDA

View Full Version : bobcat mp5 clone question

bill2k
04-24-2006, 12:07 AM
anyone know if i can get a bobcat mp5 clone shipped into cali as long as it is in pieces

PanzerAce
04-24-2006, 7:33 AM
Please use the search bill, this has come up several times before. The final word is that so long as it is off list and SB-23 compliant, you are free to do so.

Charliegone
04-24-2006, 5:37 PM
Yes please search and to make it short yes as long as the ffl gets the sb-23 compliant stuff and you get the other. Remember to fix the mag or not put the pistol grip on.

Matt C
04-24-2006, 7:11 PM
I don't see how this is possible. If it is a pistol it's not on the approved list and if it's a rifle the barrel is too short. Someone please explain how one could get around this without breaking the law.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-24-2006, 7:28 PM
The Bobcat MP5 clone comes with a 16.5 inch barrel.

http://www.bobcatweapons.com/images/bw5.gif

bwiese
04-24-2006, 8:13 PM
The Bobcat MP5 clone comes with a 16.5 inch barrel.

http://www.bobcatweapons.com/images/bw5.gif

Yes, their MP5 is really a flavor of an HK94.

And given Bobcat's reputation (along with Todd Bailey's) it's a wonder they sell anything. (Just cruise around various forums and read the chatter...)

Mssr. Eleganté
04-24-2006, 9:34 PM
And given Bobcat's reputation (along with Todd Bailey's) it's a wonder they sell anything. (Just cruise around various forums and read the chatter...)

It was pretty fun to follow all of the Todd "Toad" Bailey threads on the various gun boards back before he got banned from every single gun board on the internet.

PistolKidd
04-25-2006, 8:21 AM
Yea, Ive picked up the "gist" of how much bad blood there is regarding bobcat and all their "affiliated" companies...

If I wanted an MP5//94/etc clone, who would be a 'safe' (!= T. Bailey) choice?

Any ideas where i could go and get more info?

Richard
04-25-2006, 8:51 AM
I am well aware of the bad press Todd Bailey of Special Weapons received......He certainly could have handled himself better.

This is not an endorsement just my opinion.....back when he was starting out I purchased 2 SW5 for $700 and I have to say they operated flawlessly. they ate up everything including wolf 9mm ammo.

Dealing with him was a good experiance, the only thing I have to critisize is the fact that the reciever was not painted where the stock overlaps the reciever.......other than that no complaints.

I have to say my experiances with the products have been pretty good.
Todd has been around for a while now, certainly long enough to work out any bugs that may have developed.

That being said ,I would not have any problem buying his products if you can find them ..especially since there is a limited number of manufacturers for this product.

My understanding is Todd won't ship to Calif.....so private party on gunboards is the only way to go provided you have it sent to comply with SB23.

JMHO......

Liberty Rules
04-25-2006, 1:46 PM
It's my understanding that Bobcat and Special Weapons are NOT affiliated companies through management nor ownership. A visit to the respective secretary of state's websites should verify that.

From what I learned on the HK boards, Bobcat used to purchase parts from Special Weapons and reworked them into the BW5. I don't have any experience with Toad/Special Weapons (other than reading universal revulsion towards him on the boards), but several vendors told me that the BW5 versions include a lot of hand fitting which remedies any problems in the parts from Special Weapons. By reading on the HK boards, I also learned that Bobcat had a falling out with Toad and will not be ordering new parts from him; when the current parts run out, that will be it for the BW5.

Justang
04-25-2006, 4:17 PM
The problem is still getting one.
I have heard of nobody getting these receivers, or total guns. BSP has been trying for a long while... but nothing. :(

Liberty Rules
04-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Justang, it's difficult but not impossible. Take my word for it.

EBWhite
04-25-2006, 11:25 PM
Yup, liberty is right...finding the source is hard, paying 1500 bucks is harder though :-)

Just curious, would you guys rather have a BW5 pistol length in 9mm or a AR-15 9mm pistol length???

Justang
04-26-2006, 6:41 AM
Yup, liberty is right...finding the source is hard, paying 1500 bucks is harder though :-)

Just curious, would you guys rather have a BW5 pistol length in 9mm or a AR-15 9mm pistol length???

Yeah, paying $1500 would be hard... but there's something about an MP5 clone that calls to me. I'd rather have a BW5 over an AR 9mm.

I have yet to find anybody in So. Cal. that is selling them. Can somebody PM me and point me in the right direction? I've been talking with Chris at BSP, but nothing has come of it.