PDA

View Full Version : How are you guys locking your Cali Legal AR

x2delight
04-23-2006, 10:31 PM
well i got my first AR finished finally.. Now we arent supposed to have an open magwell and since its fixed how is everyone locking their guns?i have been just taking off the upper recently and storing it away from the lower..so that doesnt technically make it a firearm which someone can pickup and use..

tenpercentfirearms
04-23-2006, 10:34 PM
You are living on the wild side. I wouldn't have an open magwell and a pistol grip no matter what is gone. I use the Sporting Conversions fixed mag kits that I also sell. www.tenpercentfirearms.com/acc.htm.

Jeff Rambo
04-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Misunderstood OP.

blacklisted
04-23-2006, 10:38 PM
He means lock as "secure", like how are we putting a lock on it so someone can't use it.

I think you can pull the charging handle back and put a cable lock through the ejection port, or use a trigger lock.

I keep mine in a safe, so I don't have to worry about any of that.

Kevlarman
04-23-2006, 10:40 PM
I suppose you could also run a cable lock around the top of the upper and through the trigger guard, so that it cannot be broken open and loaded.

blacklisted
04-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Am I the only one that read this as asking how to lock (secure) the gun so that others can't use it? :confused:

Jeff Rambo
04-23-2006, 10:56 PM
He means lock as "secure", like how are we putting a lock on it so someone can't use it.

I think you can pull the charging handle back and put a cable lock through the ejection port, or use a trigger lock.

I keep mine in a safe, so I don't have to worry about any of that.

Re-reading his post from that perspective, that may very well what he is referring to. If so, then I will remove my post since I misunderstood. x2?

x2delight
04-23-2006, 11:03 PM
yes i was referring to how to "Secure" it..instead of putting the lowers in a safe can i just lock them all together? if not i guess i better Build them all!..

llol..

Stanze
04-23-2006, 11:07 PM
I concur that a cable lock or trgger guard lock isn't practical for a fixed mag AR.:confused:

You could alway's secure the BCG(Bolt Carrier Group) away from the firearm if you don't have a gun safe.

yiha
04-23-2006, 11:07 PM
unlocked, unloaded. i live alone.:eek:

blkA4alb
04-23-2006, 11:13 PM
I do not believe that removing the BCG would be enough to prevent any prosecution if not locked up with children in the house. When I bought my lowers I had to buy gun locks also. These lowers are the "gun" regardless of whether they have an upper on them or are even working. My understanding is that you would still be legally required to lock the lowers even unassembled.

To answer your question, if unassembled, just thread a cable lock through the mag well. if assembled break it open and thread through the ejection port so it cannot be closed and used.

gh429
04-23-2006, 11:26 PM
If you want to be perfectly safe (lol) I'd use a safe or lock the entire rifle with the bolt carrier out.

That said I for one don't believe that having an assembled open magwell lower only (pistol grip or not) is considered illegal so I just keep mine out and as is. What is one going to do - throw the lower at someone? :)

Omega13device
04-24-2006, 12:19 AM
If you want to be perfectly safe (lol) I'd use a safe or lock the entire rifle with the bolt carrier out.

That said I for one don't believe that having an assembled open magwell lower only (pistol grip or not) is considered illegal so I just keep mine out and as is. What is one going to do - throw the lower at someone? :)

What you "believe" is irrelevant. It's illegal. Ability to accept a detachable magazine plus pistol grip (or other evil feature) equals assault weapon. In the eyes of the law it doesn't matter whether it can be fired or not.

Crazed_SS
04-24-2006, 7:12 AM

Have fun in prison.

mow
04-24-2006, 7:47 AM
Am I the only one that read this as asking how to lock (secure) the gun so that others can't use it? :confused:

That's how I read it, I don;t see any other way to interpret it :confused:

Justang
04-24-2006, 7:53 AM
I have a safe.
I reccomend getting one. They can be had for cheap, and will fit just about anywhere. I live in a 1bdrm apt and I have on in my bedroom.

kAnJii
04-24-2006, 8:34 AM
Can't remember the name...I bought it at Cheaper Than Dirt...about $20??? It covers the whole lower, mag, trigger, etc...pretty cool, check it out. I bought 3 or 4 for my lowers and I had the same question posted here when I bought my CA Bushie Carbon-15.

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2324.php

Guns R Tools
04-24-2006, 9:43 AM
The Life Jacket in the picture looks like it won't work with fixed bushmaster 10rds mag in place...

Get a tigger lock that is CA approved for legality or get any trigger lock, it's better than nothing.

Or Remove buffer tube and use pad lock in its place.

Stanze
04-24-2006, 10:08 AM
The Life Jacket in the picture looks like it won't work with fixed bushmaster 10rds mag in place...

Get a tigger lock that is CA approved for legality or get any trigger lock, it's better than nothing.

Or Remove buffer tube and use pad lock in its place.

Ah, maybe the Stag "flush" mags have a use after all for the die-hard Bushmaster 10 round mag crowd(500 rounds without a single malfunction for me.:p )?

No matter how I tried I could not use a Master Trigger lock on my CA AR-15. Which might explain the whole point of this thread. Remove the Buffer tube? screw that! <---get it? screw? Meh.

ldivinag
04-24-2006, 11:47 AM
bought one of those sentry "cabinets" from wallyworld.

built a couple up and store them in there. the unbuilt lowers stay in there too, along with the handguns...

socal57chevy
04-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Um,
just remove the mag floor plate, disassemble the mag, insert cable lock through the hollow mag, don't lose the magazine parts.
Seems simple to me.

BTW he said the mag was fixed. He wants to know how to secure the weapon for safety reasons.

ps....this is also a reason not to use the Bushy 10 rd mags.

xenophobe
04-24-2006, 1:03 PM

A California approved trigger lock or cable isn't necessary. ANY trigger lock or cable that works is fine. A Firearms dealer may not sell a non-approved lock or deliver a firearm without one. This is the only restriction regarding CA approved locks.

Stanze
04-24-2006, 2:11 PM
A California approved trigger lock or cable isn't necessary. ANY trigger lock or cable that works is fine. A Firearms dealer may not sell a non-approved lock or deliver a firearm without one. This is the only restriction regarding CA approved locks.

What trigger lock and/or cable lock have you succesfully used to secure a CA fixed mag AR and how did you do it?

Again, my Master trigger lock does not fit on my AR due to the design of the lower receiver and trigger lock itself. Is there a way of using a cable lock without seperating the upper from the lower? Or, disassembling the magazine, IMO potientially increasing the chances of a mag malfunction in the field, IMO mag floorplates aren't designed to be taken apart many many times.

sac7000
04-24-2006, 4:32 PM
Pour expoy down the barrel then have both ends welded closed. No need for gun lock after that, ever.

Hope this helps.

tpliquid1
04-24-2006, 4:34 PM
cable lock thru the trigger guard

socal57chevy
04-24-2006, 5:22 PM
Or, disassembling the magazine, IMO potientially increasing the chances of a mag malfunction in the field, IMO mag floorplates aren't designed to be taken apart many many times.

Maybe this is the excuse some people need to disassemble and clean their mags. A dirty mag/binding spring is the number one cause of feed problems with ARs. (according to some David Tubb guy) Well, this is where I was giong to supply a link to the article, but now I can't find it. I think he was trying to sell moly mag springs.

If the issue is solely safety related, you might try some different cable locks that are long enough to go through the guard and around the back of the rec'r where the grip attaches pulling the trigger into the fire (fully depressed) position locking it there. Myself, I just lock the lower in a case, but I only have one here in Ca.

Ratters
04-24-2006, 5:25 PM
Buy a safe. The peace of mind is well worth the cost. I can't imagine a worse thing happening than having one of my guns stolen and used in a crime. A determined thief *might* be able to get into my safe, but as I or my roommate are usually home it would be hard to do without hearing it. Then their day is really gonna end poorly. Get a Sentry if you have to, but get something.

Surveyor
04-24-2006, 5:47 PM
Yeah, I have to agree with you guys about the safe. This is what it took for me to buy one. All of my other guns were replaceable, and "trigger lockable".
But these are literally irreplaceable in California. Besides, where do you think the AW's that are taken off BG's come from?

On a side note, I thought that you could only get in trouble for an unlocked gun if a child under 16 misuses one. Am I wrong?

kantstudien
04-24-2006, 7:04 PM
Get a tigger lock that is CA approved

You know, I tried that method, but my guns keep bouncing around in my safe now! :eek: :D

socal57chevy
04-24-2006, 9:44 PM
I've been lulling over this most of the day now and have decided to buy a safe as well. If they list my lower as an AW I'll need one anyway, right?

DirtySanchez
04-25-2006, 2:52 PM

No, I understood that he means how to secure his rifle with the locked mag.

7.62MM
04-25-2006, 4:25 PM
Has anyone had better luck with a mag lock kit other than the RANGE MAG LOC kit ? I found this one to cause the bolt catcht to work only 50% of the time and I cant use a 1 round sled . It either holds it to high or to tight .

7.62MM
04-25-2006, 4:30 PM

Do you think they will have to change the law for a fixed mag AR or change the lock type ? I know you either had to have a safe or cable lock to DROS .I have a safe but the cable lock cant be installed unless the rifle is taken apart . And if the rifle was dissembled that far would you need to lock it .Like no bolt just my 2 cents