PDA

View Full Version : Abolishing existing rifle ranges

Swiss
07-29-2010, 1:07 PM
I won't go into details here but there are certain environmentalist groups pushing to "relocate" a local, long-standing rifle range in order to make way for parks, open space, and low-density commercial development.

Can someone educate me about under what circumstances a range can be "relocated" against the wishes of both the users and the owners of the facility?

Thanks in advance.

joedogboy
07-29-2010, 1:12 PM
I think that what is really meant by "relocate" is "close you down, and not allow you to reopen anywhere near your current location and customer/user base, so you will be driven out of business".

Purple K
07-29-2010, 1:13 PM
The CRPA (California Rifle and Pistol Association) website has information on range preservation.

Swiss
07-29-2010, 1:34 PM
That is correct. Rezoning and/or General Plan revisions are also in play.

I think that what is really meant by "relocate" is "close you down, and not allow you to reopen anywhere near your current location and customer/user base, so you will be driven out of business".

Swiss
07-29-2010, 2:00 PM
I'm unable to find anything on the CRPA website. I called the CRPA and the staffer knew nothing, and recommended I call back on Monday to speak to the executive director.

What next?

The CRPA (California Rifle and Pistol Association) website has information on range preservation.

shooting4life
07-29-2010, 2:11 PM
It you can relocate you just close down and you'll be open in a year and a year comes and goes and the née range is never made. I was surprised when Jackson arms was actually able to re open when so many others have been closed in the past.

GunNutz
07-29-2010, 2:12 PM
All of the things that can be done to "help the environment" and these aholes are worried about a gun range. How about getting Liberal San Francisco to stop letting raw sewage flow into the ocean, for instance, before worrying about any gun ranges? Sorry for the rant...

ZX-10R
07-29-2010, 2:13 PM
That is lame.

sbrady@Michel&Associates
07-29-2010, 2:49 PM
Swiss, PM sent.

nick
07-29-2010, 3:11 PM
I'm unable to find anything on the CRPA website. I called the CRPA and the staffer knew nothing, and recommended I call back on Monday to speak to the executive director.

What next?

Some people on Calguns are CRPA board members, you know. You might want to ask them.

Army
07-29-2010, 3:46 PM
Doesn't the 1986 FOPA include immunity for existing ranges being encroached by city sprawl?

k1dude
07-29-2010, 4:13 PM
Good luck. I know of a range that's been around since 1922. Urban encroachment has built up the area around it and now upset residents want the range removed even though it was there for almost 90 years before them.

I lump those idiots into the same category as those that build next to an airport and then want the airport closed. The sad part is they always seem to win in court.

What happened to my country?

Black_Talon
07-29-2010, 4:50 PM
Search Calguns for:

"San Gabriel Valley Gun Club"

and

"Inland Fish and Game"

To see what can easily happen to 50+ year old extant shooting ranges. :(

javalos
07-29-2010, 5:13 PM
Search Calguns for:

and

"Inland Fish and Game"

Reminds me of what happened to the Brentwood Rod and Gun Club, bad decision making primarily led to the demise of the Gun Club. They sat on land deeded to them and they gave it up for a developer that promised them a nice new range, everything looked good to go except the dung-heap, liberal and anti-gun Board of Supervisors didn't want to give them a permit to operate. They used up lots of money to fight to operate, but range opponents kept it from happening not to mention nearby hoplophobic home owners fought to keep it from being operational. Made me sick. They should of stayed on the deeded land and hired an attorney to protect and defend them.

Swiss
07-29-2010, 5:29 PM
Thanks. After a brief search it appears that both these ranges were on leased land. For SGVGC the owner caved to outside pressure and did not renew the lease. In the case of Inland Fish & Game, claims of lead pollution on an adjacent property caused the temporary closure and redesign of the IFG range, though it appears from the posts that it should reopen shortly.

I don't think either of these cases apply to the range in question.

Search Calguns for:

and

"Inland Fish and Game"

Wicked Pete
07-29-2010, 5:45 PM
The Shooting Sports Enthusiast is an endangered Specie.

DiscoBayJoe
07-29-2010, 5:50 PM
There was a range in Brentwood (Contra Costa)? That would have been awesome! Sad.

50BMGBOB
07-29-2010, 6:22 PM
There was a range in Brentwood (Contra Costa)? That would have been awesome! Sad.

After being closed down from encroachment, and spending years trying to find another location but unable to get the permits needed they finally ended up joining USI. Don't forget about the Stonemen range in Pittsburg that was closed too.

Swiss
07-29-2010, 6:34 PM
After being closed down from encroachment, and spending years trying to find another location but unable to get the permits needed they finally ended up joining USI. Don't forget about the Stonemen range in Pittsburg that was closed too.

I've heard about the Brentwood Range. What's the story behind the Pittsburg range?

CP562
07-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Who's the group of NIMBY's?

Ed_Hazard
07-30-2010, 12:17 AM
SGVGC was closed mainly due to development in the area. A large developer put in a tract of houses on the eastern side of the range. The new owners all signed acknowledgements of the noise and range activity. The houseing market got hot and the lease was not renewed by the owner after 60yrs. The property sits unused after the bubble burst.

M1A Rifleman
07-30-2010, 11:21 AM
1) Lead - hazmat and affects water quality and the environment
2) Range too dangrous for surrounding use.

Ask Livermore about how #2 helped close them down for 5 years.

joedogboy
07-30-2010, 2:08 PM
I've heard about the Brentwood Range. What's the story behind the Pittsburg range?

Camp Stoneman, in Pittsburg, was the last stop before getting on a ship for most soldiers going to the Pacific during WW2. After the war, it was gradually dismantled and sold off/given away.

50BMGBOB
07-30-2010, 6:41 PM
The Stoneman range was the Pittsburg Police range and was open to the public. As they built up around it, they closed the public down (in the late 70's or early 80's) and eventually they shut everything down. At least I think they shut it all down, I haven't been there in a long time.