PDA

View Full Version : Crossing statelines into Nevada for the weekend

nrgcruizer
07-29-2010, 1:45 PM
I'm headed off to Sparks, NV for Hot August Nights this weekend. But I was also thinking of hanging out at the ranges with my buddies. I'd like to bring my AKM & AR15. I have an old AK47 high cap mag that I bought prior to 2000 & I bought some rebuild mags for the AR (I owned a CAR-15 in 1998).

I heard a lot of rumors about ATF staking out places in Nevada for California plates and arresting people for purchasing high cap mags. I don't intend to purchase high cap mags. But how do I get back through the border without these guys pulling me over, confiscating my weapons, & giving me horse manor about my high cap rebuilds........Do I assemble my mag at the range & disassemble at the range? When coming home, do I keep the mags disassembled? Of course, I'll have my bullet buttons back on when I come home.

ZombieTactics
07-29-2010, 1:51 PM
I travel regularly back-n-forth to Nevada ... I mean a LOT. I go to Cabela's, Scheels, etc. all the danged time. I've never even been pulled over.

I never do anything illegal. I figure that's my best move overall.

THOUSANDS of people go back-n-forth between CA & NV everyday. Even if there were some special ATF detail in the business of hassling gun owners, why do you feel vulnerable? What are you doing, what is it about your profile that indicates you would be at risk?

paul0660
07-29-2010, 2:11 PM
those are just rumors, unless you think California pays undercover cops to go to Nevada, watch you buy something illegal, and then pull you over and search you without PC for something you may have disassembled and made a legal parts kit.

And, I am sure some people do believe that. I don't.

fd15k
07-29-2010, 2:11 PM
So suppose ATF approaches you in Nevada with a high-cap (you bought there, or not doesn't matter). Where is the crime ?

bden
07-29-2010, 2:30 PM
There is that black helicopter that pulls people over on I-80 if you're not careful. :TFH:

Seriously though, if you're not illegal there's nothing for them to go on. Although this is admittedly stupid advice, but even if you are illegal they've gotta have a hunch in order to get you. Basically, don't do anything illegal/dumb and you should be good to go. Have fun!

Untamed1972
07-29-2010, 2:37 PM
From a federal perspective Hi-caps are not illegal so why would the feds care if you buy one? There is nothing preventing you from buying one, just disassemble into parts before you cross back to CA. The feds are not going to waste time enforcing a state law....especially since if you buy it in NV....you haven't broken any laws.

thayne
07-29-2010, 2:52 PM
Why would ATF enforce a California law?

Purple K
07-29-2010, 2:55 PM
Remember, the burden of proof is on the LEO/LEA to prove when and where you bought the magazines. They'll need credit card reciepts/statements, etc. or surveillence video of the purchase. And, even if you did inadvertantly make an illegal purchase, if it was more than three years ago the statute of limitations has run out.

17+1
07-29-2010, 4:31 PM
I wouldn't be overly concerned.

I know people that have gone to Front Sight in NV in and convert their rifles to a standard magazine release and assemble their rebuild kits once over the stateline.

Just make sure everything is California Kosher before you come back across the state line, put that BB back on it and break down those rebuild kits. If you're really that concerned I'd say send the rebuild kits back FedEX to your house.

nrgcruizer
07-29-2010, 5:13 PM
I'm too old and have too much to lose for small tiny little infractions. So there's no crime. I was just a little concerned with all the hearsays and rumors floating around and thought I'd check in here.

Much thanks to all the great advice.

On another note, probably should be a different post all together, what are some good ranges can I visit over there to kill time in Sparks?

Front Sight, huh? Is that anywhere near Sparks?

press1280
07-29-2010, 6:07 PM
Why would ATF enforce a California law?

Asked myself the same question

green grunt
07-29-2010, 6:29 PM
Went to a show in Reno not to long ago.......on the way home.......the was a row of black suv's that had a truck pulled over....ATF...etc...what these guys did...i have no idea.........but it does make you wonder if the MIB's are watching......lol

if your BB is in place...your mags are legal (10rd locked in the rifle , no open mag well)......GTG !

RolinCode3
07-29-2010, 6:56 PM

Front Sight is outside of Pahrump...Las Vegas area.

dantodd
07-29-2010, 9:36 PM
I seem to remember a case where CHP or LAPD actually did follow someone and saw them buy mags in NV and then arrested him when he crossed into CA. Hopefully one of the old timers will jump in and tell the whole story. I seem to remember Bill wanting to run a reverse sting on the cops.

gunsmith
07-29-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm too old and have too much to lose for small tiny little infractions. So there's no crime. I was just a little concerned with all the hearsays and rumors floating around and thought I'd check in here.

Much thanks to all the great advice.

On another note, probably should be a different post all together, what are some good ranges can I visit over there to kill time in Sparks?

exit 36 derby dam is where most locals go ( free)
way up Pyramid way about an 45-hour north is the washoe shooting range-great place but out of the way and you pay. Derby dam is good but bring your own target stands etc

Sinixstar
07-29-2010, 10:58 PM
I'm headed off to Sparks, NV for Hot August Nights this weekend. But I was also thinking of hanging out at the ranges with my buddies. I'd like to bring my AKM & AR15. I have an old AK47 high cap mag that I bought prior to 2000 & I bought some rebuild mags for the AR (I owned a CAR-15 in 1998).

I heard a lot of rumors about ATF staking out places in Nevada for California plates and arresting people for purchasing high cap mags. I don't intend to purchase high cap mags. But how do I get back through the border without these guys pulling me over, confiscating my weapons, & giving me horse manor about my high cap rebuilds........Do I assemble my mag at the range & disassemble at the range? When coming home, do I keep the mags disassembled? Of course, I'll have my bullet buttons back on when I come home.

I don't know where you've heard that - but it's wrong.
ATF has more things to do then worry about somebody buying a high-cap mag. The mag limits are CA law - not federal. Feds don't give a ****. Not their job to enforce CA law, they enforce federal law. Never mind that it's perfectly legal for you to buy/do whatever the hell you want in NV, provided it doesn't break NV law. It would only be a crime if you brought it back to CA.

YOu could buy an entire case of beta-c mags for an AR as a CA resident. Leave 'em at your buddy's house on the other side of the border and there's not a word anybody can say to you about it.

In other words - you're scared for nothing. Do what you want, provided it doesn't violate NVs laws, and you'll be fine.

Ishooter
07-29-2010, 11:06 PM
As many have said, BATFE isn't Cali agency and it doesn't care if you have high mags or not. BATFE is a Federal agency, and federal law allows high cap mags. However, some Ca authorities may be able give you some troubles if you're in Cali. But they have a burden to prove that your high cap mags are illegal when you're still in Cali.

glockwise2000
07-29-2010, 11:29 PM
Remember, the burden of proof is on the LEO/LEA to prove when and where you bought the magazines. They'll need credit card reciepts/statements, etc. or surveillence video of the purchase. And, even if you did inadvertantly make an illegal purchase, if it was more than three years ago the statute of limitations has run out.

I'd never known that there was a statute of limitation on this part. Good to know. Thanks.

tonelar
07-30-2010, 12:08 AM
if it isn't a Reno gunshow weekend, you have 0 worries

Cokebottle
07-30-2010, 12:36 AM
So suppose ATF approaches you in Nevada with a high-cap (you bought there, or not doesn't matter). Where is the crime ?
ATF doesn't care.

The California high-cap ban is California DOJ/BOF business.

ANYONE who says that ATF "pulled them over" or otherwise hassled or arrested them for high caps is completely FOS.

DOJ? Maybe, but unlikely.

To cover your butt, take a picture of your magazines against a newspaper while standing in front of a California landmark.
Of course, they could say the paper is older than the picture....

TOTALLY safe? You could disassemble the mags before bringing them home (which you would have to do for the AR mags anyways).
Since you legally own them in California, there would be no crime in reassembling the AK mags after you get home.