PDA

View Full Version : intrafamilial AR pistol transfer question

trashman
07-29-2010, 12:40 PM
This is mostly out of curiosity - anybody see any problems with this scenario?

1) CA resident owns a virgin OLL stripped AR lower, never assembled into a firearm.

2) CA resident transfers OLL Lower to out-of-state parent through an FFL (in remote state)

3) Out-of-State Parent purchases a pistol AR upper, LPKs, single-shot sled, BB, and assembles them into single-shot OLL AR.

4) Out-of-State Parent transfers single-shot OLL AR pistol to CA resident via Intrafamilial Transfer

...understand the state laws in the non-CA state would need to be clarified first, but is this otherwise kosher?

--Neill

wildhawker
07-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Yes; it's a non-issue to ATF and legal for California. That said, some tests (not exactly this) have caused some drama with DOJ.

trashman
07-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Yes; it's a non-issue to ATF and legal for California. That said, some tests (not exactly this) have caused some drama with DOJ.

Got it - thanks for the sanity check.

After I wrote this it occurred to me that DOJ would not have a record of the serial number of the lower at any point until it was transferred back in-state as a single-shot handgun.

--Neill

BONECUTTER
07-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Way too much work.

1. Out of state Parent gives virgin OLL stripped AR lower, never assembled into a firearm to son via Intrafamilial Transfer as a pistol receiver. (Pistol marked lower would be ideal but not needed)

Roster exempt guns do not need to be complete or single shot.

The problem with yours starts here:CA resident owns a virgin OLL stripped AR lower, never assembled into a firearm.
If it was purchased in CA it was DROS'ed as a longgun and you get into the "one a rifle, always a rifle thing"

wildhawker
07-29-2010, 1:09 PM
If it was purchased in CA it was DROS'ed as a longgun and you get into the "one a rifle, always a rifle thing"

It's not a rifle, however, so no SBR issues legally exist here. Practically, however, one shouldn't test this until we've worked through this issue.

bwiese
07-29-2010, 1:27 PM
The problem with yours starts here:CA resident owns a virgin OLL stripped AR lower, never assembled into a firearm.

I do worry about that. It's probably surmountable however.

trashman
07-29-2010, 1:41 PM
It's not a rifle, however, so no SBR issues legally exist here. Practically, however, one shouldn't test this until we've worked through this issue.

And nominally the problem is administrative/bureaucratic, right? That the DROS software doesn't have an "Other" option for lowers?

--Neill

wildhawker
07-29-2010, 1:48 PM
For a dealer transfer or PPT, FFLs I've discussed this with commonly use a catch-all exemption in the DROS system. The issues with DOJ surface when handguns are imported and registered or volreged.

And nominally the problem is administrative/bureaucratic, right? That the DROS software doesn't have an "Other" option for lowers?

--Neill

Untamed1972
07-29-2010, 2:56 PM
For a dealer transfer or PPT, FFLs I've discussed this with commonly use a catch-all exemption in the DROS system. The issues with DOJ surface when handguns are imported and registered or volreged.

Can you elaborate on what those issues have been?

wildhawker
07-29-2010, 3:03 PM
Can you elaborate on what those issues have been?

Not at this time, but trust that a full report will be available when we're done.

Untamed1972
07-29-2010, 3:05 PM
Not at this time, but trust that a full report will be available when we're done.

Roger that! :thumbsup:

ke6guj
07-29-2010, 3:07 PM
I recall a new CA resident trying to do "import registration" on his stripped AR-pistol receivers. CADOJ would not accept N/A for the caliber or barrel length when he submitted the form. AT that point, the pistol receiver did not have a barrel length or caliber since it didn't have a barrel. Until he gave them some dimensions for those boxes, they would not process his registration.

unusedusername
07-29-2010, 3:46 PM
Way too much work.

1. Out of state Parent gives virgin OLL stripped AR lower, never assembled into a firearm to son via Intrafamilial Transfer as a pistol receiver. (Pistol marked lower would be ideal but not needed)

Roster exempt guns do not need to be complete or single shot.

I have not heard of this method before. Has anyone successfully done this?

Is this a CGF recommended way of getting an AR pistol legally?

destro360
07-29-2010, 3:52 PM
just build from a blank and be done..... = easy + money and time saved.

wildhawker
07-29-2010, 4:05 PM
Build an AR or AK pistol from a bona fide pistol lower, or buy a single shot from an FFL, or buy a previously-registered pistol via PPT.

I have not heard of this method before. Has anyone successfully done this?

Is this a CGF recommended way of getting an AR pistol legally?