PDA

View Full Version : The best Open Range? The Sea?

VeryCoolCat
04-23-2006, 7:59 PM
I've always wondered this... I live like a 2-3 hour drive away from the nearest badland area that allows free shooting. Closest outdoor range is the angeles firing range near the angeles national forrest and thats at least an 45-hour away.

I live 20 minutes away from the nearest marina.

Now question is, If i were to rent a boat and then go out some (5 miles out international waters) and just started shooting for fun...

As long as I don't shoot at any aircraft carriers It'd be legitimate right?

blkA4alb
04-23-2006, 8:02 PM
i have no idea about the legalities, but uhm..what would you shoot at? :confused: sounds kinda boring :)

Fjold
04-23-2006, 8:11 PM
I've always wondered this... I live like a 2-3 hour drive away from the nearest badland area that allows free shooting. Closest outdoor range is the angeles firing range near the angeles national forrest and thats at least an 45-hour away.

Now question is, If i were to rent a boat and then go out some (5 miles out international waters) and just started shooting for fun...

International waters start at 12 miles and even 5 miles is a long way out for a rental boat that you are not familiar with. I go offshore fishing a lot further than that but I wouldn't do five miles in a boat that I didn't know well.

Besides that, have you ever tried to shoot off of a platform that was constantly bobbing up and down and rolling from side to side and hit a target that's also floating in the waves? I have, and even shooting in auto with an M-14 from a 430 foot long ship, hitting a man sized target at 100 yards bobbing in the sea is a real crapshoot.

C.G.
04-23-2006, 8:12 PM

No, here is the law on disposal of refuse on the ocean:

Comminuted or ground food waste, paper, rags, glass etc. - prohibited less then 3 miles from nearest land.

Food waste, paper, rags, glass, metal, bottles, crockery and similar refuse - prohibited less than 12 miles from nearest land.

Floating dunnage, lining and packing materials - prohibited less than 25 miles from nearest land.

Plastics, includes synthetic ropes, fishing nest and plastic bags - prohibited in all areas.

So you would have to be at least 12 nautical miles from nearest land.

Satex
04-23-2006, 9:04 PM
Shooting from a vessel is construed to be a valid form of declaring an emergency and requesting assistance. It is unadvisable to shoot from any vessel unless such a condition is true.

Pulsar
04-23-2006, 10:04 PM
But aren't there cruises that do skeet shooting? Don't know if it's done any more, but I do know people who have shot skeet while on a cruise.

BobFirewood
04-23-2006, 11:50 PM
i have no idea about the legalities, but uhm..what would you shoot at? :confused: sounds kinda boring :)

I was going to build up a .50 Beowulf or .458 SOCOM in case Zombie Hannibal invades with his zombie elephants over the Sierra Nevadas. Do I have to worry about zombie whales? :)

C.G.
04-24-2006, 12:42 AM
Shooting from a vessel is construed to be a valid form of declaring an emergency and requesting assistance. It is unadvisable to shoot from any vessel unless such a condition is true.

And which esoteric publication did you find that in? I call BS on that one.

rod
04-24-2006, 6:33 AM
I shoot from a boat in the ocean all the time. Everything from 9mm to 5"54 and even a missile once in awhile. I'm in the Navy though.

Rod

Satex
04-24-2006, 6:55 AM
Call the United State Coast Guard Auxiliary, and ask. Better yet, take one of their boating classes and learn! You will find it in their boating safety book.
I heard the USCG is a very esoteric organization - just for you!

And which esoteric publication did you find that in? I call BS on that one.

Here is an esoteric publication for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_signal

stator
04-24-2006, 7:18 AM
I shot skeet from a cruise ship once.... but the gas bill to go out to 5 miles and back will not be worth it; let alone 12 miles.

C.G.
04-24-2006, 6:25 PM
Call the United State Coast Guard Auxiliary, and ask. Better yet, take one of their boating classes and learn! You will find it in their boating safety book.
I heard the USCG is a very esoteric organization - just for you!

Here is an esoteric publication for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_signal

I stand corrected, accept my apology, please. I guess it helps to re-read the regs every now and then.

DParker
04-24-2006, 9:30 PM
But aren't there cruises that do skeet shooting? Don't know if it's done any more, but I do know people who have shot skeet while on a cruise.

I shot skeet from the stern of a Carnival Cruise ship back in 1992, but the practice has stopped. I cruise often and no cruise line that I know of currently offers it. Has probably been outlawed due to some environmental concern.

Turbinator
04-25-2006, 7:06 AM
I shot skeet from the stern of a Carnival Cruise ship back in 1992, but the practice has stopped. I cruise often and no cruise line that I know of currently offers it. Has probably been outlawed due to some environmental concern.

Either that or our increasingly anti-gun society forced the cruise ship to "get with the times." Sad if true.

Turby

bootcamp
04-25-2006, 9:40 AM
I have a lot of friends that skeet shoot from their boats. Flat calm days outside the state waters 3 mile line. Just make sure there are ZERO boats in the vicinity.

ohsmily
04-25-2006, 11:27 AM
I have a lot of friends that skeet shoot from their boats. Flat calm days outside the state waters 3 mile line. Just make sure there are ZERO boats in the vicinity.

My dad has a 60 foot Californian and it is NEVER so flat and calm that the boat isn't rocking pretty well....it is the ocean, there are waves...The number of days during the year the the swell is so flat and the wind is so calm that you could successfully shoot clays are VERY few. That, and as someone else pointed out, running a boat is expensive when you facto in gas and other expenses. Cruise ships are big enough that they don't roll and rock in normal seas....private boats, unless you have something unbelievable, will not be good on most days to get some real clays practice in. Of course, you can still throw some clays and try and shoot them as a novelty of doing so while rocking, but it won't be valuable practice in my opinion.