PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a CCW in Merced?

Nismo
04-23-2006, 5:41 PM
Just would like to know if anyone in Merced actually has one. Just want an idea of the procedures you went through here ect. BTW, anyone know how the new police chiefs views about ccw?

Brass Balls
04-23-2006, 6:12 PM
Are you familiar with the Gun Runners on Yosemite? Go there and ask the owner I'll bet he can give you all the information you are looking for. They teach a certified CCW class and do the qualification shoot right there at the shop/range. The Sheriff also has approved a 4 hour class when it is typically 16 hours in other areas (which is the maximum amount of hours allowed for the class).

From what I gather Merced is like a shall issue county so long as you have a clean background etc. Hope this helps.

PanzerAce
04-23-2006, 6:30 PM
Just would like to know if anyone in Merced actually has one. Just want an idea of the procedures you went through here ect. BTW, anyone know how the new police chiefs views about ccw?

hey, looks like there is someone other than me in merced after all :p

as for CCW, IIRC, it is essentially shall issue.

Nismo
04-23-2006, 11:29 PM
Thanks guys. Are you all saying that the City Police dept. Is almost shall issue or will they deny me and I have to go though the Sheriff?

Ill Talk to Gery over at Gunrunner about it. Last I spoke about it, they told me that they are holding off all new applications and only accepting renewals to current holders but that was almost 2 years ago.

CrazyGunner
04-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Anyone know about San Joaquin Co.? On packing.org it shows unknown.

DParker
04-24-2006, 9:43 AM
I can tell you that Madera County (neighbor to the south) is very easy. Got my permit in 8 days. No kidding.

My impression is that most all the central valley counties are "shall issue" in mindframe. You still have to jump through their hoops, but the mindset seems to be to allow "good guys" to carry.

Nismo
04-25-2006, 4:55 PM
I just came back from Gunrunner in Merced and the next CCW class will be held on May 11 for those of you that would like to go. Its $45 and the time I believe is at 4:00pm.

Brass Balls
04-25-2006, 5:14 PM
I just came back from Gunrunner in Merced and the next CCW class will be held on May 11 for those of you that would like to go. Its $45 and the time I believe is at 4:00pm.

Dang, that's a bargain! Way to go Merced and Gunrunner!

linuxgunner
04-25-2006, 5:50 PM
Go Merced!

Could you do a favor and post this info in our county-by-county CCW info breakdown on http://californiaccw.org ? We're trying to get as much info in one place as we can. The county list on packing.org doesn't seem like it gets much up-to-date info.

Nismo
04-25-2006, 6:05 PM
Go Merced!

Could you do a favor and post this info in our county-by-county CCW info breakdown on http://californiaccw.org ? We're trying to get as much info in one place as we can. The county list on packing.org doesn't seem like it gets much up-to-date info.

I shure will but should I wait until after I complete the course and when I start the application procedures? I would be able to post better information about the situation when I go though the class.

PanzerAce
04-25-2006, 6:09 PM

Hey, I might actually see you there then, cause I know the guy that is giving the course (He is PD on campus). And it actually starts at 5:30, so be there around 5

Nismo
04-25-2006, 6:13 PM
Thanks for the correction! Guess I'll see you there. BTW, Gunrunner didnt give me much info other than the date but do you have any other info about the class? What to bring, guns, IDs, ect? Thanks again for the time correction

linuxgunner
04-25-2006, 6:41 PM
I shure will but should I wait until after I complete the course and when I start the application procedures? I would be able to post better information about the situation when I go though the class.

Yes, please post when you feel like you have solid info to report. We need to get more info about the process and availability in the various counties. Before CaliforniaCCW.org, there wasn't a good central place for this type of info. I see threads in all the forums constantly asking, "what's the CCW process like in ___". We need to put this info all in one easy place. The other side is we need to have a place to discuss sheriffs' elections, where we can organize to throw out bum sheriffs like Sheriff Baca for example.

PanzerAce
04-25-2006, 7:45 PM
Thanks for the correction! Guess I'll see you there. BTW, Gunrunner didnt give me much info other than the date but do you have any other info about the class? What to bring, guns, IDs, ect? Thanks again for the time correction

Ill ask. And dont be sure about seeing me, cause thats only about 2 days before finals start *gulp*