PDA

View Full Version : Shooting at The Gun Room Elk Grove

MrTuffPaws
04-23-2006, 4:44 PM
Okay, which one of you ruined my trip to The Gun Room today?

I drive 30 miles there to toss to lead only to find every Elk Grove cop car there. I stopped and asked what happened and the officer told me there had been a shooting. I almost retorted "Yeah, they do that here" but decided not to.

Anyone have the low down on what went down.

04-23-2006, 5:13 PM
Oh crap, I hope it doesn't get shut down as it's the only indoor range around. I try to shoot there at least once every other week. Wonder what's up.

P7Collector
04-23-2006, 5:24 PM
Holy crap, no way! I just shot about 200 rounds there last night at like 6. Thats crazy, wonder what happen:eek:

Josh
04-23-2006, 7:04 PM
I stopped and asked what happened and the officer told me there had been a shooting. I almost retorted "Yeah, they do that here"

I know this is bad news but thats just funny.

scootergmc
04-23-2006, 9:12 PM
Look on the bright side... maybe nobody died on the range... maybe someone saw their outrageous gun prices and keeled over from a heart attack...

Either way... it sucks.

PLINK
04-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Man that sucks. I shoot there at least once a week in the evenings. I like how it's open late. I really hope it don't get shut down or it's back to Cordova I go (for pistol shooting anyway). Cordova is down the street from me but I hate to shoot down at the dirt.

bear308
04-23-2006, 10:34 PM
never been there, do they rent firearms? Probably a suicide, it's more common than you think.

esheato
04-23-2006, 10:36 PM
I've been there a few times...they have a great facility.

I hope everything is alright.

Ed

jessegpresley
04-23-2006, 11:29 PM
never been there, do they rent firearms? Probably a suicide, it's more common than you think.

Like most ranges, they won't rent a gun to a party of 1. You either have to bring your own gun, or come with 2 or more people to rent. This cuts down on the lone suicidal person.

I was shooting at the range in San Rafael and the owner was talking to another guy, telling him about all the various suicides he'd seen there.

P7Collector
04-24-2006, 4:54 AM

They actually have a pretty good selection to choose from, prob at least 50 or so guns to rent.

MrTuffPaws
04-24-2006, 8:35 AM
Hmmm...

I just checked Sacbee.com and can't find anything about it. Strange, you would think this would be all over the place.

rollyourown
04-24-2006, 8:42 AM
Like most ranges, they won't rent a gun to a party of 1. You either have to bring your own gun, or come with 2 or more people to rent. This cuts down on the lone suicidal person.

I was shooting at the range in San Rafael and the owner was talking to another guy, telling him about all the various suicides he'd seen there.

Happens a lot, I have three under my belt from working at a couple of ranges in the inland empire. Two on purpose and one that I still think was a half-hearted attempt at one, he succeeded anyway. What a freakin mess they make. I'm a RN now and can appreciate the amount of fluid that is in our bodies, but back then when I was younger, I thought it was a lot of blood for a person to leak out.

big jon
04-24-2006, 9:16 AM
during my time at a indoor range we had a couple people come in wanting to rent a gun with no targets and only one bullet, i know it sounds funny but they were serious. We did have a lady go thru my basic handgun shooting course,buy a pistol and supplys(ammo,cleaning)and then shoot herself a week later? we found out later when her mother came in to tell us,her family told us that we had no business selling her a gun.of course it was not obivous what she had inmind, and thru all the years the family never reported her mental problems to the police so on red flags for the DOJ during the DROS.it to bad,but if they want to do that to themselvs they will sooner or later...

HeHateMe
04-24-2006, 9:48 AM
They had one last year. Kid and his dad. Kid shot himself in the temple. Don't know if it was negligent discharge or suicide. Gunroom has been really really busy. Lots of new shooters renting.

scootergmc
04-24-2006, 11:45 AM
This is exactly the reason I hate these indoor rental ranges. Any joe schmo can walk in and off himself or the dude next to him on his way out. I can't recall how many suicides the Pavillion in Stockton had before they closed doors.

The other reason the gun room sucks is they don't offer a LEO/MIL discount.

esheato
04-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Back to the original question...what happened?

Ed

glen avon
04-24-2006, 1:24 PM
and why should they offer a LEO discount? you all have range access we don't and you get paid a real salary.

bear308
04-24-2006, 2:15 PM
the firing line used to give free range time for LEO, one day the owner came in and the place had only LEOs on the range with paying customers waiting. And to top it all off the cops hardely ever bought anything. Thats why we only give a discount on memberships now. It's amazing how the attitude runs so wide in that field.

The two people to rent a gun has cut down on it a lot. Any competent range staff should be able to spot it on the way in, but people do slip thru the cracks once in a while.

MrTuffPaws
04-24-2006, 2:45 PM
the firing line used to give free range time for LEO, one day the owner came in and the place had only LEOs on the range with paying customers waiting. And to top it all off the cops hardely ever bought anything. Thats why we only give a discount on memberships now. It's amazing how the attitude runs so wide in that field.

The two people to rent a gun has cut down on it a lot. Any competent range staff should be able to spot it on the way in, but people do slip thru the cracks once in a while.

Sounds like you work, or worked there. Any update on what happened sunday?

bear308
04-24-2006, 3:58 PM
not at Elk Grove, I'm at the Firing-Line in Burbank. No clue what happened at Elk.

scootergmc
04-24-2006, 4:24 PM
and why should they offer a LEO discount? you all have range access we don't and you get paid a real salary.

You assume all LEO's and MIL have access and get good $. :eek:

45R
04-24-2006, 7:20 PM
GunRoom does not rent out any guns unless the individual has at least a basic firearms safety card. Mike and Jeff have a first class facility. Its too bad people do stupid things at the range.

asintado
04-24-2006, 10:25 PM
Whenever I visit the Gun Room the lifetime ban list grows slightly every time.

wuhungsix
04-24-2006, 11:09 PM
Talked to my buddy today that works there.

Buddy, "...hey guess what happened at the range today..."

Me, "...umm...somebody blew their head off again?..."

Buddy, "...yup..."

Me, "...you guys need to stop renting out guns..."

he didnt know the details since he wasn't working today but he told me they had everything cleaned up and had the range open up for buisness fairly quickly...

04-25-2006, 6:26 AM
Sorry another idiot snuck under the radar. A little disinformation floating around though about the gun rentals. I just rented one last week and to dispell myths I was completely alone and was never asked for any safety card or anything else and for that matter I never even was shown how to operate the pistol or even asked if I knew how to work it.

Now it's true that they know me there and I had plenty of other guns with me but the guy who rented to me had never seen me before as he was new and I was pretty surprised that all I had to do was sign a different sheet for a rental and that was it.

I completely agree that the range there is a first class operation and I don't blame them in the least for a moron making a poor decision, I just wanted to clarify things a bit.

rips31
04-25-2006, 8:55 AM
most ranges that rent will only rent to you if you have 2 or more or bring your own in. if you had your own, chances are that you wouldn't use the rental on yourself in a public place.

wuhungsix
04-25-2006, 5:46 PM
these people should just sit in the garage with a bottle of wiskey and the car running...just like falling asleep...

note: make sure its not a Prius.

bbq_ribs
04-25-2006, 9:07 PM
I asked Reed's about that. "Ok, so I need to have another person here with me." "Yup" the clerk said. "Doesn't matter who it is, just another human." I asked. "Yup." the clerk said.

"What if I bring in a crazy ex-girlfriend that hates my guts?" I asked.

*chuckle*

"Well, we can only do so much..." the clerk said. ;-)

rix
05-04-2006, 7:43 AM
these people should just sit in the garage with a bottle of wiskey and the car running...just like falling asleep...

"But, gas is too expensive and I don't drink!"

Rumpled
05-04-2006, 9:45 AM

Good thing I wasn't sipping on anything when I read that.
Almost as good as Wes's roadtrip pics.