PDA

View Full Version : Buying pistol

Rob454
07-28-2010, 9:38 PM
hey guys
Havent bought a pistol in a while. I am planning on getting a pistol and I need to know what I need to bring with me

Handgun Safety Card
Driver license
Will my car registration be good enough. All our utility bills are in my wifes name.

My At&t is my cell and house # all in one bill can i use that?

Cokebottle
07-28-2010, 9:39 PM
Car reg is what I've used on my last 4 firearms.

Rob454
07-28-2010, 9:45 PM
Thanx Rich. So Ill be GTG with HCS, DL, and Car reg

Cokebottle
07-28-2010, 9:57 PM
Thanx Rich. So Ill be GTG with HCS, DL, and Car reg
Should be.... though if you go to the place that starts with an "S" and ends with an "ade", I wouldn't be surprised if they can figure out a way to persuade you to actually LIKE Turner's :D

Seriously though... Where's a good place between your area and Huntington Harbor for a PPT? I'm not 100% sure that I'd trust Firing Line with some of the stories that I've heard of their attitudes, and some of the (not related to FL) stories about PPT's being fired by employees at shops with a range during the 10 day wait.
Buddy is probably going to buy my wife's LCR.

DaveFJ80
07-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Handgun Safety Card
Driver license
Will my car registration be good enough. All our utility bills are in my wifes name.

Your CA driver's license is all you'll need for identification purposes, if the address on that is the same as where you currently reside. Then you won't need the car registration if they have the same name & address on both.

That, and your HSC card.

Rob454
07-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Well Im actually going to Turners. Thats where the member said he does his PPTs at. And Im ok with that. As for the gun being fired by employees thats easily taken care of. Ill just throw a lock on it and ill take the keys.
LMK if you ever wanna try out that P85 or P90 I got. I know you were looking for one for your wife. offer is still open

Newshooter
07-28-2010, 10:06 PM
For handguns, you will need TWO forms of identification with your name and address on it. Car reg is fine.

Cokebottle
07-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Well Im actually going to Turners. Thats where the member said he does his PPTs at. And Im ok with that. As for the gun being fired by employees thats easily taken care of. Ill just throw a lock on it and ill take the keys.
LMK if you ever wanna try out that P85 or P90 I got. I know you were looking for one for your wife. offer is still open
Cool.

We love to bash Turner's, but honestly, it is tough to beat their prices and their consistency... kinda like Denny's.... it's not a place you "go" to, it's a place you "end up" :D

I just wish they could do a better job educating the FUD out of the employees.

Still got your contact info... Haven't decided which way we're going to go, but honestly, I'm considering a gun that starts with an "H" and ends with a "t" ;)
The blowback design seems like something that would work for her with her disabilities, both in terms of recoil, racking effort, and ability to grip the monstrous slide.

DaveFJ80
07-29-2010, 12:05 AM
For handguns, you will need TWO forms of identification with your name and address on it. Car reg is fine.

Is there a PC or law for this?

I've PPT'd 3 different handguns at Turner's (2 different Turner's), 1 at Ammo Bros, 1 at Ade's. Every place only required 1 form of identification that had a picture and current address on it, along with an expiration date. The only time I needed 2 forms of ID was when my DL didn't have my current address on it, so I used my car registration form for the address verification.

BANG BANG
07-29-2010, 8:15 AM
Is there a PC or law for this?

I've PPT'd 3 different handguns at Turner's (2 different Turner's), 1 at Ammo Bros, 1 at Ade's. Every place only required 1 form of identification that had a picture and current address on it, along with an expiration date. The only time I needed 2 forms of ID was when my DL didn't have my current address on it, so I used my car registration form for the address verification.

Bureau of Firearms > http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#7

Purchasers of handguns are also required to provide proof of California residency, such as a utility bill, residential lease, property deed, or government-issued identification (other than a drivers license or other DMV-issued identification).

(PC Section 12071)

I've always had to show 2 items for proof for a handgun purchase

Sam
07-29-2010, 9:47 AM
I've always had to show 2 items for proof for a handgun purchase

Me too. Technically they don't even have to show the same address. The Car Registration is just proof of California residency.

BANG BANG
07-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Me too. Technically they don't even have to show the same address. The Car Registration is just proof of California residency.

this I did not know, I thought that the address on both forms of ID need to match each other?

I moved recently and my DL shows old address still. I have a new car registration with NEW address though. So I can bring both and still use them even though they don't match?

but since they are both address' with my name on them in CA they are valid to use?

Sam
07-29-2010, 11:17 AM
this I did not know, I thought that the address on both forms of ID need to match each other?

I moved recently and my DL shows old address still. I have a new car registration with NEW address though. So I can bring both and still use them even though they don't match?

but since they are both address' with my name on them in CA they are valid to use?

Sorry, I actually don't know if this is true. What I meant to say was that I purchased a pistol using my CA DL and a PG&E bill with different addresses. The gun shop initially was slightly confused. I explained that the PG&E bill was just a proof of residency and not a 2nd ID. They called up their DOJ agent and got word that it was okay. I've since just gotten my CA DL and Car Registration to match to avoid confusion.

BANG BANG
07-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Sorry, I actually don't know if this is true. What I meant to say was that I purchased a pistol using my CA DL and a PG&E bill with different addresses. The gun shop initially was slightly confused. I explained that the PG&E bill was just a proof of residency and not a 2nd ID. They called up their DOJ agent and got word that it was okay. I've since just gotten my CA DL and Car Registration to match to avoid confusion.

ah I see, I'm pretty sure most shops would want to have them match but then again the PC does not expressly state they need to match each other

Dubious_Beans
07-29-2010, 11:31 AM
My DL has a P.O. box, NOT my physical address.

My dealer accepted that along with my trailer registration (which has our correct physical address) with no problems when I bought my XD.

Some of my vehicles have my P.O. box and some have my real address, so I actually had to dig up my utility trailer registration as "proof" since it has my real address.

They also said that a utility bill would be fine in place of the vehicle reg.