PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop?

acorn
07-28-2010, 9:18 PM
I need a new laptop as my 15 month old HP took a ****. What brands do you techy guys recommend (other then Apple) ASUS, Toshiba, Samsung, etc?

HkUSP45
07-28-2010, 9:38 PM
Lenovo?

i1800collect
07-28-2010, 9:48 PM
I need a new laptop as my 15 month old HP took a ****. What brands do you techy guys recommend (other then Apple) ASUS, Toshiba, Samsung, etc?

A price range and intended use would be very helpful when recommending laptops.

acorn
07-28-2010, 10:03 PM
A price range and intended use would be very helpful when recommending laptops.

Under a $1000 for general all purpose use, Internet, MS Office, Itunes, Pics and video etc.

acheron800
07-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Just got this:

dv7tSE

17" 1600x900
1.6 ghz i7 720QM quad 6mb L3 turbo boost up to 2.8ghz
6gb ddr3
500 gb hd
1 gb radeon 5650
aluminum chassis
aluminum deck and lid
9 cell battery

for $899

Been using it for a week...awesome...

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/1016/1016548_ra.jpg

Diablo
07-29-2010, 6:31 AM
Anything over 15" is too heavy to carry around. Now if you're looking to replace your desktop and have flexibility to move from room to room, the 17"'s are great.

ZX-10R
07-29-2010, 6:39 AM
HP...We moved from Dell to HP due to quality issues with way to many crashing and just having issues. My HP Probook 17 inch has been a dream for 6 months already. NO ISSUES whatsoever. BTW my 17 inch laptop is light...Very light...I commute on my motorcycle with it so that is by far not a heavy notebook. Plus you are grown men...Buck up ladies.

Support America and get an HP and if all else fails, Dell. Lenovo was IBM and those were great...They came in third in our bench marking test for workstation platforms for SolidWorks.

daveinwoodland
07-29-2010, 10:42 AM
HP...We moved from Dell to HP due to quality issues with way to many crashing and just having issues. My HP Probook 17 inch has been a dream for 6 months already. NO ISSUES whatsoever. BTW my 17 inch laptop is light...Very light...I commute on my motorcycle with it so that is by far not a heavy notebook. Plus you are grown men...Buck up ladies.

Support America and get an HP and if all else fails, Dell. Lenovo was IBM and those were great...They came in third in our bench marking test for workstation platforms for SolidWorks.
You're mistaken if you think you're support the US by buying ANY electronic device. Where did you get this impression from?

nosuchagency
07-29-2010, 10:52 AM

not certain what model or issue you're experiencing, but you may want to glance at the following link regarding nvidia motherboards.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1842189&lang=en

i lost one of mine to above issue awhile back; however, missed my window of opportunity... i don't believe newer models are affected and haven't had any problems with my current hp, but will probably move away from them when i replace it.

i1800collect
07-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Under a $1000 for general all purpose use, Internet, MS Office, Itunes, Pics and video etc.

I'd recommend a Thinkpad T series (http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=19C791A03AF24034A0011B825513BCED) (at under $1000, you'd be looking at the T410). The current offering is the T410, I have the previous generation T400 and I've had zero issues with it. It's very portable with a 14.1" widescreen and plenty powerful enough for general purpose use.

If you wait a few weeks, Lenovo will probably have a "back to school" type sale on their laptops. IIRC, that's when I bought my T400 at a very nice discount. Lenovo almost always has coupon codes floating around on the internet as well. Search around on slickdeals.net or dealcatcher.com and you should be able to save at least 10% when buying directly from Lenovo.

ZenMasta
07-29-2010, 3:25 PM
I read a study somewhere once that detailed the failure rate of various laptop brands after a year or so. Something to the effect that hp/compaq and acer had 30% failure and many brands close behind.

Toshiba was the only brand I being either #1 or 2 in quality. I owned a Toshiba a long time ago it was great (ended up selling it).

Dispite that I took the risk buying an acer because I feel comfortable working on hardware, and also because I got a screaming deal on BlackFriday last year.

If you can wait, I would recommend waiting for Black Friday.

Corbin Dallas
07-29-2010, 4:37 PM

Just curious, what went wrong and what model do you have?

I've been repairing HP laptops since 2001.

ZX-10R
07-29-2010, 4:46 PM
You're mistaken if you think you're support the US by buying ANY electronic device. Where did you get this impression from?

:rolleyes: FYI...Dell and HP are US held companies. Lenovo is Chinese...They bought IBM PC division and rebadged to Lenovo. Just making sure you are up with your tickers, speeds and feeds as well.

I will concede though that some of the components are foreign and foreign made but the topic is HP or DELL a US brand. Let me know if you want the component breakdown considering some of those component manufacturers are (when I was the rep in Silicon Valley - Now SW Manager) my customers...Only if you want though.

Hewlett-Packard Company (NYSE: HPQ), commonly referred to as HP, is an American multinational information technology corporation headquartered in Palo Alto, California

Dell Inc. is a multinational information technology corporation based in Round Rock, Texas, United States

Lenovo Group Limited (SEHK: 0992, OTCBB: LNVGY) is a Chinese-based multinational computer technology corporation that develops, manufactures and markets desktops and notebook personal computers, workstations, servers, storage drives, IT management software, and related services. Incorporated as Legend in Hong Kong in 1988.

We good? Thank you.

ZX-10R
07-29-2010, 4:47 PM

That is short. We upgrade every 2-3 years.

acorn
07-29-2010, 10:10 PM

HP dv7 entertainment model

I clicked on the browser and the screen flashed white and then went black but the pc is still on. I rebooted several times and just when it goes to the login page it does the same thing. I removed the HD and saved my docs then replaced it to format and no change. HP sent me recovery disc and they didn't work(same problem).

Corbin Dallas
07-30-2010, 9:58 AM
HP dv7 entertainment model

I clicked on the browser and the screen flashed white and then went black but the pc is still on. I rebooted several times and just when it goes to the login page it does the same thing. I removed the HD and saved my docs then replaced it to format and no change. HP sent me recovery disc and they didn't work(same problem).

The problem is with the Nvidia video card that is built into the board.

You can have it fixed but you need to find someone who can properly resolder a BGA (Ball Grid Array).

If you google HP DV7 black screen you will find all kinds of information on the subject.

Repair costs for this problem average $200

Also, you may want to contact HP for assistance. They "MAY" cover this under warranty. Look towards the bottom, "Graphics controller not functional"

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443366&cc=cz&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3828138#N1280

ejhc11
08-10-2010, 11:41 PM
Here is a place to browse some good sales on electronics - http://www.techbargains.com/?r=1