PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Firearm

AYEAREFIFTEEN
07-28-2010, 9:11 PM
I apologize if the answer is already in here and I couldn't find it from a search.

I came home today to find that I was broken into. Who ever was here managed to take a 200lbs Gardall safe that I had by my bed side. Unfortunately my 92fs was inside this safe. I called the police and they came to take a report and have fingerprints done. I gave the police the serial number of the pistol in the safe.

Is there any other kind of paperwork that I have to file separately to the state to report the pistol stolen so I do not run into any trouble in the future?

Thank you very much for your help.

iareConfusE
07-28-2010, 9:16 PM
I got a packet on what to do in the case of a lost or stolen firearm with my FFL 03 (C&R) license welcome package. It's basically this link in print: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/how-to/report-theft-loss.html

AYEAREFIFTEEN
07-28-2010, 9:21 PM
Thank you very much! This all seem so surreal at the moment I'm probably not thinking as straight as I should. I will call the ATF tomorrow and submit this form.

Rocket Man
07-28-2010, 9:30 PM
Oh man total bummer, think i'll hook up my safe to 220 volts & fry the f*&#ers!!!!
Sorry for your loss :(:puke:

383green
07-28-2010, 9:30 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your theft. That really stinks. :(

ColdDeadHands1
07-28-2010, 9:33 PM
I'm sorry you were robbed.

This serves as another reminder for all of us to bolt our safes down to either the floor or wall!

AYEAREFIFTEEN
07-28-2010, 9:40 PM
I still can't understand how he/she/they got it out. Too heavy for one person to carry. They did steal the top sheet off my bed as well so I have to assume they used to the sheet to drag it out. They also stole a single sock which I can only assume was used to wipe fingerprints on the way out. I also live on the second story which would make hauling a 200lbs safe even harder.

pwall
07-28-2010, 9:44 PM
I cant believe this. So lame. How did they get in? Anything else taken? Have you determined if they came specifically for the gun safe?

pwall
07-28-2010, 9:46 PM
And I hope you have something else somewhere for the meantime...

garandguy10
07-28-2010, 9:56 PM
Who knew you had a safe? That could be your suspect[s]

TempleKnight
07-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Reading this brought back bad memories. First the realization that someone has been in your house. Then finding that they have taken your guns. 30 years ago and it still p1$$s me off.

My safe is now bolted to a concrete floor and my house has a monitored alarm. The stakes are higher now; the AR and the STI are not easily replaced.

I'm sorry for your loss and the feeling of being violated that goes with having your home invaded.

Rocket Man
07-28-2010, 10:09 PM
I agree with garand, those who knew about it KNOW the person who did it. my 2cents.

Crom
07-28-2010, 10:20 PM
If your handguns are stolen you should fill out this from:

No Longer in Possession of Handgun (NLIP) Form (revised February 2009) (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf)

And file it with the California DOJ.

sevensix2x51
07-28-2010, 10:52 PM
i bought my gun safe after i lost some of my favorite rifles in a burglary. that was 5 years ago, and i still want to stomp on someones guts when i read about stuff like this.

my safe now effectively weighs over 5 tons, as it is affixed to the slab by multiple 1/2" redheads; the good hilti ones. i suggest the next safe you get, make swiss cheese out of the bottom and put at least 12 lags into the floor. use thick fender washers, and do it against the wall where you can find a stud or two. lag it into the studs too. youre at a disadvantage due to the wood flooring, (i assume, since you sound as if you are in an apt) but you can still make a safe require an act of congress to move...

thedrickel
07-28-2010, 10:53 PM
200lb, if not bolted down, is nothing. I could have gotten it out of there, down the stairs, and on the truck by myself.

AYEAREFIFTEEN
07-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Thanks everyone for your support! I think I will be filling out as many documents as I humanly can tomorrow to make sure I don't get some double homicide pinned on me for what ever reason.

To put everyone at ease. The rest of my collection, including 99.9% of my valuables, are still secure in my large safe. The small safe taken was purely for keeping my primary pistol out of the hands of any children, namely my niece or nephew, and to hopefully deter burglars. Unfortunately deterring burglars did not work. It would have taken one corn fed son of a ***** to haul that safe out of here. Unfortunately my neighbor down stairs actually heard the perp, but assumed I was just home for lunch.

This is still all so strange to me I don't think I've fully grasped what has actually happened. At this point the way I see things, if they needed to steal something from me, they must have needed it more than I did. Its the fact that someone was in my home that never should have been here is what kills me. I guess I now know what this feels like.

ColdDeadHands1
07-28-2010, 11:45 PM
the way I see things, if they needed to steal some thing from me, they must have needed it more than I did.

Man, I know you're still reeling from getting robbed but I can't see how anyone could subscribe to this. They stole from your home. They have no values, morals, or principals. They are scum and should be punished if caught. If caught in the act, potentially punished with lethal force.

Now if they busted into your kitchen and stole bread and milk and diapers from your kids room, then maybe I would buy the whole "they needed it more than me" story. But a safe, your bedsheet, and your sock... nope, just plain dirtbag criminal.

Jimmy310
07-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Im sorry to hear about your misfortune.

My GF lives in an apartment near Cahuenga and Magnolia and i feel its somewhat sketchy over there. Not so much violence, but lots of theft and vandalism from street toughs who know alot of out-of-staters move there and theres lots of apartments/people to rip off while they're at work. Which reminds me....i need to take back my guns and ammo from her place. She does have a snubby .38spl of her own and a pit bull for the 5 nights a week i am not there.

joedogboy
07-29-2010, 12:58 AM
You have my sympathy.

Been there, and it sucks.

Maybe you'll be the lucky one whose gun gets found by the police, and returned.

Attiic
07-29-2010, 1:25 AM
Just curious, how did you notice that a single sock was missing?

thayne
07-29-2010, 1:48 AM
I still can't understand how he/she/they got it out. Too heavy for one person to carry. They did steal the top sheet off my bed as well so I have to assume they used to the sheet to drag it out. They also stole a single sock which I can only assume was used to wipe fingerprints on the way out. I also live on the second story which would make hauling a 200lbs safe even harder.

It was probably at least 2 people. They layed the safe on the sheet, wrapped it up and each grabbed an end and carried it off.

Hope they catch them!

Paper Boy
07-29-2010, 7:19 AM
When I had gun stolen LAPD said I did not need to do anything more after I had reported it Stolen to them. Bad information on their part?

Bruce
07-29-2010, 7:20 AM

Maybe he only owns two pair to begin with....;)

ZX-10R
07-29-2010, 7:54 AM
I agree with garand, those who knew about it KNOW the person who did it. my 2cents.

Agreed.

Dubious_Beans
07-29-2010, 8:42 AM
I'm sorry to hear you lost your stuff. That sucks. :(

200 lbs is nothing for one guy to move. Just bring an appliance dolly and wheel it on out...

I moved a 400 lb safe by myself.
I unloaded it from my trailer and moved it about 60' feet and up 2 stairs, then stood it up and got it in position, all alone with nothing more than some pieces of pipe for rollers and some rope. It was easy and only took a few minutes.

Bolted down is good.

Fate
07-29-2010, 8:50 AM
That sucks.

But know that they know you have a larger safe too. They might be back...with friends. :(

frankm
07-29-2010, 8:50 AM
200 lbs. ain't jack for some guys. I know a guy who can lift a refrigerator onto the back of a pickup by himself with just wrapping his arms around it.

pwall
07-29-2010, 8:57 AM
200 lbs. ain't jack for some guys. I know a guy who can lift a refrigerator onto the back of a pickup by himself with just wrapping his arms around it.

J4ZkhWZXR0I

Maestro Pistolero
07-29-2010, 9:05 AM
Just last week I bolted a 450 lb. Cannon into the concrete slab. I was feeling like it might have been overkill. Guess not.

BillCA
07-29-2010, 9:21 AM
i bought my gun safe after i lost some of my favorite rifles in a burglary. that was 5 years ago, and i still want to stomp on someones guts when i read about stuff like this.

I vowed that if I ever caught someone burglarizing my home, I'd jump up and down on their hands until they quit crunching. :chris:

For the OP ... in the daylight, take a look around the outside of your Apt. Look at the stairway (presuming it's concrete) for fresh scrapes, nicks & chips. That may tell you which way they went out from there. Also talk to your neighbors in all 360 degrees (up/down, nextdoor, across the hall) and anyone with windows facing the stairs/walkway out. Did they see or hear anything? What time? Sounded like? Did they hear car/truck? etc. etc.

AYEAREFIFTEEN
07-29-2010, 10:05 AM
I vowed that if I ever caught someone burglarizing my home, I'd jump up and down on their hands until they quit crunching. :chris:

For the OP ... in the daylight, take a look around the outside of your Apt. Look at the stairway (presuming it's concrete) for fresh scrapes, nicks & chips. That may tell you which way they went out from there. Also talk to your neighbors in all 360 degrees (up/down, nextdoor, across the hall) and anyone with windows facing the stairs/walkway out. Did they see or hear anything? What time? Sounded like? Did they hear car/truck? etc. etc.

It was still fairly light outside when I got home. I have hardwood floors through out and I was amazed they didn't leave any dents or scratches inside. I could not see anything visible outside in the walkways, elevator or common areas. After talking to just about all the neighbors, unfortunately no one saw anything. Only my neighbor downstairs heard someone walking around and figured I just came home for lunch.

I don't want to speculate too much at this point, but I guess it could have been a number of people. Could have been the guys delivering phone books around that same time. They'd have a truck to haul the safe away. It could have been someone that knows me and my safe was a particular target which is why they didn't take anything else. I really don't know.

He/She/They only tossed through a couple drawers that I could see. They left a single sock on top of the dresser. All of my socks are bundled in pairs and I don't have any "rogue" socks. :p I can only assume they used the sock to wipe down fingerprints on the way out.

They opened a couple of empty pelican and soft rifle cases I use only to transport as well as a couple of ammo boxes that only had spent brass and empty en-blocs.

ETA: I apologize if this has gotten too off topic to be in this particular section of the forum. Moderators please feel free to move this to another section if needs be.

Wherryj
07-29-2010, 10:17 AM
Oh man total bummer, think i'll hook up my safe to 220 volts & fry the f*&#ers!!!!
Sorry for your loss :(:puke:

At that point you'll be charged with a felony for a dangerous trap set within your house.

I'd suggest bolting the thing securely to every possible surface. I have my 500 pound safe bolted to the floor with four 3/4 inch 2.5 inch long lag bots and to the wall studs with 3 1/2 inch 2.5 inch log lag bolts-all with multiple fender washers inside the safe to make it far more difficult to just pop the safe off the heads.

It is located directly under a fire sprinkler (in case of torches being used) in a home with a monitored alarm. It is also fairly well hidden...anyone who gets into it deserves whatever they can carry.

paul0660
07-29-2010, 10:41 AM
When I had gun stolen LAPD said I did not need to do anything more after I had reported it Stolen to them. Bad information on their part?

If the cops do their job the serial will be entered into a database accessible to all leo's, and the gun is officially stolen. You can call 911 (on the non emergency number) and they should have it listed. Filing the other paperwork is good CYA, and is free. I would do it if the gun isn't recovered very soon.

AYEAREFIFTEEN
07-29-2010, 10:47 AM
At that point you'll be charged with a felony for a dangerous trap set within your house.

I'd suggest bolting the thing securely to every possible surface. I have my 500 pound safe bolted to the floor with four 3/4 inch 2.5 inch long lag bots and to the wall studs with 3 1/2 inch 2.5 inch log lag bolts-all with multiple fender washers inside the safe to make it far more difficult to just pop the safe off the heads.

It is located directly under a fire sprinkler (in case of torches being used) in a home with a monitored alarm. It is also fairly well hidden...anyone who gets into it deserves whatever they can carry.

Unfortunately I'm on the second floor which doesn't leave me many options for bolting to the floor. If I were on the first floor which is the concrete slab I could drill then use some long Red Heads, but my only option at this point would be lag screws into wood studs if they were in the right place.

Wherryj
07-29-2010, 11:07 AM
J4ZkhWZXR0I

How do I contact this guy for a little light lifting around my house?

That was very impressive...and a good reminder to not rely upon the weight of the safe for security. BOLT IT DOWN.

Wherryj
07-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Who knew you had a safe? That could be your suspect[s]

The police say that a high percentage of robberies are acquaintences, but it isn't beyond reason to assume that someone broke into his house and found the safe.

I'm sorry for your loss and the violation. At least no one was hurt.